I found a real eye opening article about WDI

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
The world extends beyond America's borders....and the opportunities in other countries are greater than they are here.
Very true! The way I look at it is the ROI in some of the international properties is probably much higher than stateside. Therefore, the investment in those properties will generate more profits that may then be used at WDW and DL.

Connor002

Ghostbuster626 said:
Thats true. However I think WDI should be focusing on America. Foreign countries have gotten more than enough disney magic to last for a long time (Japan especially) its time to stop outsourcing the fun and magic to other countries and start focusing on the flagship and the crown jewel again.

Honestly, even though I've never been to TDL, I'd have to say it appears to be the crown jewel at the moment...

speck76

wannab@dis said:
Very true! The way I look at it is the ROI in some of the international properties is probably much higher than stateside. Therefore, the investment in those properties will generate more profits that may then be used at WDW and DL.
well that....and America is somewhat saturated with the current idea of what a Disney park is.....

WDI could create a new concept abroad, and not get the fussy idiots saying "this sucks compared to Disneyland blah blah blah"....as most people outside the US have never been to a Disney park....anything built is new to them, they do not know of the difference.

In addition, the foreign parks get significant (if not entire) costs paid by sources other than WDC....which is always a good thing....it is always better to spend the money of others.

speck76

Corrus said:
I still don't know where the O.L.C. is getting these loads of money from... :D :D :D but it works...

for starters...the financial risk is VERY low at TDL.....97% of the visitors come from Japan...most from metro Tokyo (as seen below from their website)

gprofile_area.gif

yensidtlaw1969

Ghostbuster626 said:
Its time to stop outsourcing the fun and magic to other countries and start focusing on the flagship and the crown jewel again.
WDW just got a Major new Stunt Show, A new animatronic/sensory show, a new Castle forecourt show, a new E-Ticket Simulator and a new E-Ticket Mountain, and Disneyland just got a new above-average darkride, a new interactive darkride, a completely redone and refurbished rollercoaster, a completely refurbished and repainted everything else, new special effects on big E-Tickets, a new parade with floats that ar eboth Giagantic, detailed and beautiful in every sense of the word, and a new fireworks extravaganza that is without a doubt the most incredible fireworks display to every be displayed in a single display displaying ( I think i got a little carried away with te displays, but the show is that amazing ), with much more still coming to each.

The rest of the world got a fireworks show, a roller coaster, a new but often considered subpar new park, with some more still coming.

I don't know WHO decided to put that much focus oin the rest of the world, but we DEFINATELY need a little more attention back home!!!

Yensid ":rolleyes: that's almost obscene" tlaw1969

speck76

yensidtlaw1969 said:
I don't know WHO decided to put that much focus oin the rest of the world, but we DEFINATELY need a little more attention back home!!!

DLP is getting Astroblasters, Toon Studios, and ToT over the next 2 years....way too much spending....and that park is so sucessful, they don't need it as much as WDW :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

yensidtlaw1969

Connor002 said:
Honestly, even though I've never been to TDL, I'd have to say it appears to be the crown jewel at the moment...
Theming wise I feel it is the crown jewel. However, while I have never been, people say that it lacks attraction-wise, and that they need a fw more A, B, C, and D tickets, because for the most part everything is an E-ticket or something that really jostles you around. They also don't have a ginormous amount of attractions. They're at no hardship by anymeans, but it's not as much as people assume.

Yensid "It's kinda like Animal Kingdom in that respect -- great and immersive theming, but almost everything is bumpy and wild and it needs more to do" tlaw1969

speck76

People also think that TDS is a major hit......well....it is not as major as some may think.

The year prior to TDS opening, TDL had 17.3 million visitors

Last year....the 2 parks together did 25.02 visitors.

Therefore, the overall impact of TDS has been NO GREATER than that of DAK at WDW.....the difference is that DAK was what...around $600-$800million....TDS was $3+BILLION

The plan for TDS was for:
23 attractions
24 restaurants
26 shops

If anyone thinks American Disney parks are full of shops and restaurants....the outnumber the attractions at TDS also.

CaptainMichael

speck76 said:
Therefore, the overall impact of TDS has been NO GREATER than that of DAK at WDW.....the difference is that DAK was what...around $600-$800million....TDS was $3+BILLION
Well, the argument could be made that Animal Kingdom is getting visitors based on the fact that it is a park in Walt Disney World. However, that is big difference in money spent on TDS to get the same attendance as DAK.

speck76

STR8FAN2005 said:
Well, the argument could be made that Animal Kingdom is getting visitors based on the fact that it is a park in Walt Disney World. However, that is big difference in money spent on TDS to get the same attendance as DAK.
well.....TDS was built next to an existing and popular park too

CaptainMichael

speck76 said:
well.....TDS was built next to an existing and popular park too
True, but is TDR a place where people stay for a long period of time? I was under the impression that attendance was comprised mainly of locals.

I'm just saying that Park Hoppers and being a part of WDW helps out DAK a bunch. Expedition Everest is going to pull attendance legitimately.

speck76

STR8FAN2005 said:
True, but is TDR a place where people stay for a long period of time? I was under the impression that attendance was comprised mainly of locals.

I'm just saying that Park Hoppers and being a part of WDW helps out DAK a bunch. Expedition Everest is going to pull attendance legitimately.
TDR's location is probably more of a benefit......Orlando has 1 million tourists come through each week.....Tokyo has 20+million residents that live there 365 days each year

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ghostbuster626 said:
Thats true. However I think WDI should be focusing on America. Foreign countries have gotten more than enough disney magic to last for a long time (Japan especially) its time to stop outsourcing the fun and magic to other countries and start focusing on the flagship and the crown jewel again.

Hardly - if the OLC want to pay WDI big bucks to develop their top of the shelf version of attractions, then Imagineering arn`t going to say `no thanks` are they?

Same with DLP - SM:M2, ToT, Buzz and Finding Nemo are being paid for by EDSCA, via its refinancing deal, not TWDC.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
yensidtlaw1969 said:
WDW just got a Major new Stunt Show, A new animatronic/sensory show, a new Castle forecourt show, a new E-Ticket Simulator and a new E-Ticket Mountain, and Disneyland just got a new above-average darkride, a new interactive darkride, a completely redone and refurbished rollercoaster, a completely refurbished and repainted everything else, new special effects on big E-Tickets, a new parade with floats that ar eboth Giagantic, detailed and beautiful in every sense of the word, and a new fireworks extravaganza that is without a doubt the most incredible fireworks display to every be displayed in a single display displaying ( I think i got a little carried away with te displays, but the show is that amazing ), with much more still coming to each.

Yensid ":rolleyes: that's almost obscene" tlaw1969

Whoa Whoa Whoa Waiiit a minute here! New animatronic/sensory show??? are you talking about Stich? Stich is just an overlay over an exisiting attraction Alien Encounter thats hardly new! The simulator fine..pretty good but its still a clone of an existing attraction, stunt show? clone and it sucks, "Castle forecourt show" what the hell? are you talking about cinderelabation or whatever? That thing is a joke and will probably be gone very soon..thats like saying "oooh but Walt Disney World just got a new type of napkin look at the wonderful things Disney does for us!" give me a break :rolleyes: .
Disneyland got completly lackluster stuff and just about everyone on every disneyland forum (and even sane average guests)will tell you what Disneyland got for its 50th. anniversary was a sick joke. I will stop complaining once DL and WDW starts getting TDL quality or better attractions.

- Ghost "EE & pirates rehab are steps in the right direction" Buster626.

Lee

Adventurer
Ghostbuster626 said:
I will stop complaining once DL and WDW starts getting TDL quality or better attractions.

Rest up now...you're gonna be busy. It'll be a long time (if ever) before Disney starts throwing OLC sized money around.

Lee (Who really has no complaints...except for Stitch)

yensidtlaw1969

Whether people like what they did or not it was still expensive and attention given to the American Parks. I'm on plenty of Disneyland boards, and not only do I know they feel Disneyland was scammed, but I do to (partially -- WDW got more attractions, but Disneyland got better quality things -- just about anyone who has been on Buzz Lightyear at Disneyland and WDW will tell you Disneyland's is better, Their Space Mountain is flippin AMAZING, Parade of Dreams it one of the most Extravagant and beautiful parades ever, if not the most, and Remember Dreams Come True is too incredible for words. You have to see it to believe it. It makes every other Disney Fireworks show look like kids messing around with bottle rockets in the backyard in my opinion). They also repainted and refurbished just about everything (not just attractions and shows, I mean EVERYTHIN, from the Streetlights on Mainstreet to the benches in Toontown. Anyone who thinks Disneyland got jipped needs to take a good look around Disneyland and re-examine their values, but they got it pretty good. Soarin' has gone over fantasticly and was expensive even if it was a clone, LMA has done pretty good and was expensive even as a clone, SGE was kinda pocket change-ish for Disney, but the Animatrons are beyond compare (except the yeti ofcourse), Cinderellabration required complete rehab of the Forecourt stage and the hub, not to mention the princesses dresses are expensive, as are the fireworks that go off however many times during the day. It may not be popular with us, but for all the little girls watching who have never been to Tokyo (I'd bet thats most of them) it's an incredible thing, and has some popularity. Expedition: Everest was atleast $100 million, and is bound to be popular, no matter how many people like us find it to be sub-par (not me, but then I haven't ridden yet). They're also pumping money into doing the Pirates Rehab Right, like they did with IASW back last year.

Maybe Disney spread itself too thin with the 50th, because they put alot of money into several new attractions at both DL and WDW, not to mention all the rehab work that has been going on, is going on and will start soon. I hope they did, because that means when they get back to focusing on one or two attractions a year rather than 7 or 8, they'll have alot of money that they can spend on those as opposed to shelling it out to 8 attractions. I'll hold all bets until that time comes, however.

Yensid "I agree with Lee -- no complaints except Stitch" tlaw1969

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
yensidtlaw1969 said:
Whether people like what they did or not it was still expensive and attention given to the American Parks. I'm on plenty of Disneyland boards, and not only do I know they feel Disneyland was scammed, but I do to (partially -- WDW got more attractions, but Disneyland got better quality things -- just about anyone who has been on Buzz Lightyear at Disneyland and WDW will tell you Disneyland's is better, Their Space Mountain is flippin AMAZING, Parade of Dreams it one of the most Extravagant and beautiful parades ever, if not the most, and Remember Dreams Come True is too incredible for words. You have to see it to believe it. It makes every other Disney Fireworks show look like kids messing around with bottle rockets in the backyard in my opinion). They also repainted and refurbished just about everything (not just attractions and shows, I mean EVERYTHIN, from the Streetlights on Mainstreet to the benches in Toontown. Anyone who thinks Disneyland got jipped needs to take a good look around Disneyland and re-examine their values, but they got it pretty good. Soarin' has gone over fantasticly and was expensive even if it was a clone, LMA has done pretty good and was expensive even as a clone, SGE was kinda pocket change-ish for Disney, but the Animatrons are beyond compare (except the yeti ofcourse), Cinderellabration required complete rehab of the Forecourt stage and the hub, not to mention the princesses dresses are expensive, as are the fireworks that go off however many times during the day. It may not be popular with us, but for all the little girls watching who have never been to Tokyo (I'd bet thats most of them) it's an incredible thing, and has some popularity. Expedition: Everest was atleast $100 million, and is bound to be popular, no matter how many people like us find it to be sub-par (not me, but then I haven't ridden yet). They're also pumping money into doing the Pirates Rehab Right, like they did with IASW back last year.

Maybe Disney spread itself too thin with the 50th, because they put alot of money into several new attractions at both DL and WDW, not to mention all the rehab work that has been going on, is going on and will start soon. I hope they did, because that means when they get back to focusing on one or two attractions a year rather than 7 or 8, they'll have alot of money that they can spend on those as opposed to shelling it out to 8 attractions. I'll hold all bets until that time comes, however.

Yensid "I agree with Lee -- no complaints except Stitch" tlaw1969

You have to understand all the painting and refurb work at Disneyland was required because of years of neglect during the Paul Pressler years when rides were literally run without refurb to the point of breaking down and minimal budget was given to little things like repainting, refurb work etc. Disneyland was neglected so badly that they had to fix everything for the big 50th. anniversary..they were in a sense forced to.

Lee

Adventurer
Ghostbuster626 said:
Disneyland was neglected so badly that they had to fix everything for the big 50th. anniversary..they were in a sense forced to.
Well...they weren't forced...in fact, if not for Ouimet and Emmer coming in almost none of that would have happened. It was them who hit up Eisner and Rasulo for the money. Cynthia Harriss and her administration had no intention of undertaking the massive refurbishment project that Disneyland got.

speck76

Lee said:
Well...they weren't forced...in fact, if not for Ouimet and Emmer coming in almost none of that would have happened. It was them who hit up Eisner and Rasulo for the money. Cynthia Harriss and her administration had no intention of undertaking the massive refurbishment project that Disneyland got.
just another reason women should not be allowed to leave the kitchen

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom