I found a real eye opening article about WDI

Tim G

Lee said:
Rest up now...you're gonna be busy. It'll be a long time (if ever) before Disney starts throwing OLC sized money around.

Lee (Who really has no complaints...except for Stitch)
Neither have I...and the big pile of spending money in the OLC's range :D, will never come... :D :D

The thing is, one could build everything for the Japanese, as they really like everything...
As the Japanes themselves are saying, most Japanese people reach their "adult hood" at the age of 40...

Nothing is too crazy for the Japanese... I like them... :D
And above all very polite, sometimes a bit overdone, but you'll get used to that... :D

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
Corrus said:
Neither have I...and the big pile of spending money in the OLC's range :D, will never come... :D :D

Well I see your positive and full of optimism. (and whats with all the grins?)

Ghost "all I want is an updated Star Tours with a new destination and I will be happy." Buster626

peter11435

Ghostbuster626 said:
Well I see your positive and full of optimism. (and whats with all the grins?)

Ghost "all I want is an updated Star Tours with a new destination and I will be happy." Buster626
Its about being realistic.

Lee

Adventurer
Corrus said:
As the Japanes themselves are saying, most Japanese people reach their "adult hood" at the age of 40...

I've put mine off 37 years....hopefully I can avoid it forever!:lol:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Heh... I hope to put mine off longer than that (although having kids helps sometimes :) ).

I really think Ouimet and Emmer saved DL. From what I remember reading, there wasn't a single building, railing, or wall that didn't see a paint brush. I'm glad they did what they've done, it really makes the original shine again. :)

I hope WDI can keep creating new, unique (big word there, I know) attractions that Disney is known for. I don't like cookie cutter rides, clones, and the like. There's a reason Pirates, IASW, and others keep getting people on them for years and years.

PintoColvig

HauntedPirate said:
Heh... I hope to put mine off longer than that (although having kids helps sometimes :) ).

I really think Ouimet and Emmer saved DL. From what I remember reading, there wasn't a single building, railing, or wall that didn't see a paint brush. I'm glad they did what they've done, it really makes the original shine again. :)

I hope WDI can keep creating new, unique (big word there, I know) attractions that Disney is known for. I don't like cookie cutter rides, clones, and the like. There's a reason Pirates, IASW, and others keep getting people on them for years and years.

I agree but they did clone Pirates and IASW for WDW. :D

yensidtlaw1969

Lee said:
I've put mine off 37 years....hopefully I can avoid it forever!:lol:
1919, uh, we have a case of Peter Pan syndrome down in West Alabama quadrant 3, we need backup, copy, we need backup!

:lookaroun

Yensid " YOU CAN FLY, YOU CAN FLY . . . OW, MY HEAD!!!" tlaw1969

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
I think its time for me to put this thread back on track. So what are you guys opinions on the article? Is a major shake up needed at WDI?

Legacy

Corrus said:

The thing is, one could build everything for the Japanese, as they really like everything...

Nothing is too crazy for the Japanese... I like them... :D
And above all very polite, sometimes a bit overdone, but you'll get used to that... :D
You still over in Japan Corrus?

Geesh... I really need to get over to Tokyo soon, don't I?

Legacy

Time for some more ArmChair Imagineering with Legacy!

(...yay...)

Wanna know what AK needs? First, they need to get rid of Festival of the Lion King ( :eek: ). Secondly, in the area to the left of the bridge heading into Harambe, behind that nice little facade... they need to build a Lion King dark-ride (all Mike and Sully to the Rescue... nice... slow... comparatively cheap).

Close off Camp Minnie Mickey and build an America's section. Add a Brother Bear themed family-ride (which doubles as a safari-ride, ala Kilamenjaro, only build animotronics outside the enclosures...), starring Rutt and Tutt which would focus on the rarely seen animals of North America. Build a river safari-ride, themed to the Amazon (with a small drop (25-30 ft tops) and a sit-down resturant themed to the Alaskan Wilderness. Throw in a couple of animal treks between the two... instant park.

PintoColvig

Legacy said:
Wanna know what AK needs? First, they need to get rid of Festival of the Lion King ( :eek: ). Secondly, in the area to the left of the bridge heading into Harambe, behind that nice little facade... they need to build a Lion King dark-ride (all Mike and Sully to the Rescue... nice... slow... comparatively cheap).

Get rid of the most popular stage show in all of WDW? Next you will be recommending that they close 20K Leagues and put a meet and greet in its place! :animwink: :D

Legacy

icorsix said:
Get rid of the most popular stage show in all of WDW? Next you will be recommending that they close 20K Leagues and put a meet and greet in its place! :animwink: :D
They have also closed what were considered by many to be the best stage shows on property, so personally I see no qualms in closing that show. And anyway it would be a long term investment. Rides are notoriously cheaper than shows. For a cool $60-$70 million you could build an outstanding dark-ride in Africa that would soak crowds like no tomorrow. Give it a capacity of 2000 an hour and it will a huge boon to the park.

PintoColvig

Legacy said:
...they need to build a Lion King dark-ride (all Mike and Sully to the Rescue... nice... slow... comparatively cheap).
Legacy said:
For a cool $60-$70 million you could build an outstanding dark-ride in Africa that would soak crowds like no tomorrow.

SO $60-70 million is cheap? Wow! But, would a Lion King dark ride even come close to having the positive guest favorability that FotLK has? Sure there are a few folks who don't like it but it seems to me that there is no other show on WDW property that is positively remembered and mentioned like FotLK.

BTW, what stage shows were you referring to that were closed?

Legacy

icorsix said:
SO $60-70 million is cheap? Wow! But, would a Lion King dark ride even come close to having the positive guest favorability that FotLK has? Sure there are a few folks who don't like it but it seems to me that there is no other show on WDW property that is positively remembered and mentioned like FotLK.

BTW, what stage shows were you referring to that were closed?
Hunchback and Tarzan. They weren't universally accepted, but they had undeniable talent in them. I cried the final time I saw both. There was more to them than spectacal.

I have some ideas for LK dark-ride I'll get together and PM you.

Tim G

speck76 said:
just another reason women should not be allowed to leave the kitchen

:lol:
But do you know, what's actually wrong, when women can reach the livingroom??

Please reply...

imagineer boy

Legacy said:
Time for some more ArmChair Imagineering with Legacy!

(...yay...)

Close off Camp Minnie Mickey and build an America's section. Add a Brother Bear themed family-ride (which doubles as a safari-ride, ala Kilamenjaro, only build animotronics outside the enclosures...), starring Rutt and Tutt which would focus on the rarely seen animals of North America. Build a river safari-ride, themed to the Amazon (with a small drop (25-30 ft tops) and a sit-down resturant themed to the Alaskan Wilderness. Throw in a couple of animal treks between the two... instant park.

Eeh... not too wild about your ideas I'm afraid. Festival of the Lion King is too popular to get rid of. And personally, I don't think a Lion King dark ride would work very well in Harambe. You'd have a authentically themed and aged african village, then you turn a corner and there's a cartoon disney character ride. It just doesn't fit right.

Camp Minnie Mickey is really boring as it is, but it has potential. I've read a few ideas that are pretty good like a flume ride themed to a Donald-led canoe expedition, a dark ride themed to the Ranger Woodlore and Humphry Disney cartoons, and perhaps a kiddie mine train ride. A north america land could be built next to it, and could be used as a briding point between Camp Minnie Mickey and Africa. Brother Bear is no where near as popular enough to have its own ride. Sure, the redwood creek forest trail at DCA has a Brother Bear theme, but they put that there to promote the movie when it came out.

Maybe the Lion King show could be re-built in the Africa section, ( to make more room in Camp Minnie Mickey for new rides ) but off to the side so it doesn't disrupt the themeing of the Harambe village. Sure, it kinda contradicts what I said above about not having Disney characters in that section, but the show isn't all toony, and it mostly showcases the culture of africa dance, tribal rituals and so forth that it kinda fits there better than instead of a camp ground themed area. Plus it could bridge the Africa section with the proposed North America section.

Whew! I'm done now. :lol:

no1liksu

This isn't about the designers, it's about management and more to the point Eisner. I worked on the DCA project (animation attraction) and it was Eisner's idea to keep cutting budget. Every time we had a meeting with him, we lost money (and Peter Schneider is a whole other story). We all knew the park wasn't going to come out well.
They have the people in place to do great projects, they just need to let them be creative. And Lasseter will hopefully make it a fun place to be again. He understands the creative and business sides, he's what they need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom