I can't stand the abbreviations

Phonedave

I'm not sure if this question would apply to me or not, since I have described myself as somewhat middle of the road on this issue, but as for me, I abbreviate states in some cases, and in others I don't. When it comes to addressing mail, I think the Post Office prefers that you just put the official, two letter abbreviation on the envelope. At least that's how I am accustomed to doing it. But if I'm on here posting about a trip I'm taking to Florida, I don't necessarily abbreviate. Or, as I said in an earlier post, I may write it out the first time and then abbreviate it thereafter. But If I'm writing Christmas cards or something and write a little note in the card about what we have planned coming up, I probably won't abbreviate the state. But I guess it depends if I just say we're going to this state (in which case I would probably write it out), or if I say we're going to Orlando, FL (in which case I may abbreviate).

But I also tend to agree with others here who have said that you should keep your audience in mind. You need to be able to make sure your readers know what you're talking about. So if it's a person with 3 posts on their post count, you may want to assume that they're a newbie and won't understand the vernacular, whereas if you're talking to senior members, you can be fairly safe in assuming that they understand the abbreviations. Kind of like where I work. I work at Walmart and we have a little bit of "lingo" that we understand amongst ourselves, but we have to be careful about using that lingo when talking to a customer because they may have absolutely no clue what we are talking about. For example, if I ask another associate where an item is and he tells me it's in the "Forbidden Zone" up front, or in "action alley" or on the "Lexon Room", I will know exactly what he's talking about. But if some customer asks me where an item is and I tell them that it's in the Forbidden Zone or Action Alley, or the Lexon Room, he's probably going to look at me like a deer in the headlights.

I do agree up to a point that it behooves us all to learn the abbreviations if we're gonna post here. However, we also shouldn't expect a person to have to do research just to understand a reply that someone may give them on a question.

You mean it wasn't on a POP display because it was BOGO, but now there is an end cap of it because you don't want to move it to DS?

-dave

stlbobby

Yes I am going to be hating life. You guys always get it easy - you play either STL or SEA. (Thank goodness for abbreviations.) :cool::lol:

Since we're discussing football, last night's game has caused me to swear off sports forever.

I can take my team losing, but last night just made me sick.

jjharvpro

I learned them eventually. I don't think they're too bad when you consider every D usually stands for Disney and the hotels are pretty recognizable.

Is there a roundup of all the abbreviations on this site? If not, there should be.

Yes, I eventually learned them, too...

That would great to have an abbreviations page.

sbkline

You mean it wasn't on a POP display because it was BOGO, but now there is an end cap of it because you don't want to move it to DS?

-dave

I have no clue what a BOGO is, but what does a Pop Century display have to do with moving something to my son? :shrug:

:ROFLOL:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have no clue what a BOGO is, but what does a Pop Century display have to do with moving something to my son? :shrug:

:ROFLOL:
Buy One - Get One free or half price or whatever the marketers are currently peddling.... :lookaroun

sbkline

Buy One - Get One free or half price or whatever the marketers are currently peddling.... :lookaroun

Wouldn't that be BOGOF, then? :lol:

Walmart doesn't do "buy one, get one free"...at least not up here. If they do, they do it as a 50% off deal, which is essentially the same thing. But they don't promote it as "buy one, get one free". But generally, the only time something would be 50% off or more, would be if it's a deleted item that's on clearance, not just a general rollback item, hence my ignorance on what BOGO means.

EPCOT.nut

As jealous as you will be that we are in the playoffs, I am that jealous that you live so close to Disney! Ahhhhh!

It's true - we're close enough to make a day trip to Disney. It's really nice. Sadly my AP expired on 12/31 so we're on a vacation FROM Disney right now. *sigh*

Since we're discussing football, last night's game has caused me to swear off sports forever.

I can take my team losing, but last night just made me sick.

That would be the entire last season for me - last year the Bucs had a terrible record. :(

DisneyFamilyDad

"You carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with a Gnab silencer. That's KGB. You prefer an H&K over an A.K. Your surveillance technique is NSA. Your ID is CIA. You received your Ph.D. at NYU. Traded in your GTO for a BMV. You listen to CDs by R.E.M. and STP. And you'd like to see J.F.K. in his BVDs, getting down with O.P.P. And you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside." - Agent WD-40 (Leslie Nielsen) Spy Hard.

Phonedave

Wouldn't that be BOGOF, then? :lol:

Walmart doesn't do "buy one, get one free"...at least not up here. If they do, they do it as a 50% off deal, which is essentially the same thing. But they don't promote it as "buy one, get one free". But generally, the only time something would be 50% off or more, would be if it's a deleted item that's on clearance, not just a general rollback item, hence my ignorance on what BOGO means.

In MY day :) a BOGO was a Buy One Get One. So it was you bought one and you got one (free)

Sometimes we would also see them as B1G1F, which means the same thing, but we never called it that in our stores (Acme Markets)

A POP display was a Point Of Purchase display - impulse buy items near the register.

End caps are shelving at the ends of the asile. As opposed to waterfalls which were just large stacks of product (no shelves) at the ends of asiles. I used to bulid some great waterfalls :)

DS is dead stock.

And that damn EVOO that Rachael Ray calls Olive Oil - thats because she used to work in a grocery store. Every ordering book called it EVO or EVOO.

-dave

rsoxguy

In MY day :)

DaCa-Grumpy%20Old%20Man.jpg

In my day, we didn't have these fancy "abbreviations". We used full terms, our knuckles locked from all of the typing, and we were glad to still have hands with which to pick up our full-priced retail items!!

Nemo14

In my day, we didn't have these fancy "abbreviations". We used full terms, our knuckles locked from all of the typing, and we were glad to still have hands with which to pick up our full-priced retail items!!
and we walked barefoot in the snow uphill both ways to go to the local market to shop for said full-priced items...

Phonedave

And thats the way we liked it !

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom