I can't believe Disney Dining!

sorcerergoofy

Original Poster
About two months ago I made all of our ADRs for our upcoming trip, only to be blindsided today with some disappointing info.

I got a call this afternoon from Disney Dining and was told:
1. That the price of Donald's Safari Breakfast would be increasing $5 from what we had previously been told.
2. That Mama Melrose's F! Dining Package was now $36. When we booked we were told that it would be $24. They called a week after and said that there was no longer a set price and that we could order what we wanted with no requirements. Today is when we found out the "set" price was now $36.
3. That Coral Reef would now be closed for a private event on the day we had a reservation there. Now we are eating at Fulton's instead.

Is it just me or should all of the prices been set in stone? I understand that they have seasonal increases, but the price you are told when you book should be what you pay. The fact that they call and tell me this just 2 weeks before our trip really irks me. I booked all of this months ago to ensure our plans were just what we wanted. Every time I called to ask a questions I seemed to get a different answer. I never expected Disney to
call me on two different occasions to basically say "oops, we messed up and we aren't going to do anything about it".

What do you guys think about this?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Much as it sounds bad, the reality is anywhere you go this happens. Unless you pre-paid for your meal when you booked it, if the price goes up between when you book and when you pay, you pay the higher price.

Lbg206

Much as it sounds bad, the reality is anywhere you go this happens. Unless you pre-paid for your meal when you booked it, if the price goes up between when you book and when you pay, you pay the higher price.

I agree. Now if you had prepaid they obviously couldn't raise the price and if they did then you'd definitely have a huge case against them, but as for what you're talking about yes it kinda stinks, but all you had was a reservation, not a prepaid meal or package so they can raise their prices as they wish.

loveofamouse

I agree. Now if you had prepaid they obviously couldn't raise the price and if they did then you'd definitely have a huge case against them, but as for what you're talking about yes it kinda stinks, but all you had was a reservation, not a prepaid meal or package so they can raise their prices as they wish.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong as Im just learning about the Dining things but, I thought you do pay in advanced for the Dining plan? When I was talking to the resv. they told me if I choose a dining plan, the entire trip has to be fully paid upfront, including the entire hotel balance instead of just a dep. Is it different for different plans?

Computer Magic

Please, correct me if I'm wrong as Im just learning about the Dining things but, I thought you do pay in advanced for the Dining plan? When I was talking to the resv. they told me if I choose a dining plan, the entire trip has to be fully paid upfront, including the entire hotel balance instead of just a dep. Is it different for different plans?
I have never had to pay the entire cost of the trip before 45 days out. Unless this is a new rule within the last year, I say the CM was confused.

sweetpee_1993

If you book a package including resort, passes, and the dining plan then you are required to pay a $200 deposit at the time of booking with the balance of your package cost due 45 days prior to arrival.

The OP expressed frustration with Disney Dining but did not specifically say he/she was on the dining plan. Considering the issue was with price increases then my guess is they are not utilizing the dining plan because cost increases to specific meals would be a non-issue since they'd just be using meal credits. The price increases could also be attributed to holiday/busier time period price increases which are nothing new. Just like everything else in life, prices are always subject change. It stinks but it happens to everyone at one time or another.

JML42691

The one that would irritate me the most is being told 2-weeks out that a private event is occurring and that your reservation is no longer booked. I know that somebody with big bucks probably booked the place fully, but they shouldn't be able to do it on such short notice and screw all of the people that had reservations over. If somebody wants to completely book a place full then they should have to schedule that prior to the windows opening for the reservations.

The one that would irritate me the most is being told 2-weeks out that a private event is occurring and that your reservation is no longer booked. I know that somebody with big bucks probably booked the place fully, but they shouldn't be able to do it on such short notice and screw all of the people that had reservations over. If somebody wants to completely book a place full then they should have to schedule that prior to the windows opening for the reservations.

I totally agree! It would make me feel like my family (and the other ressies) didn't mean as much as the person booking the whole place.

Paul G.

I've never gotten anywhere with a complaint.Ther never seems to be anyone who can do anything for you but say that they are sorry.Good luck,i've never had any.:hammer:

disneygirl1

Definitely does stink that that happened, but not many places would call to tell you this in advance!! At least I can't think of any.

cdunbar

The sad point is it is true. Disney places people with money on a higher
pedestal. It's not fair but reality of the new Disney.
Well not only that but the reality of our economy. Disney, unfortunately, is a business and like any other business they have to go where they're going to make more money. So if they can rent out a facility for a private party, they're going to probably make more money than if they had just booked the restaurant solid that evening. I say that because they can probably charge the private party a set price per plate, that is higher than normal, plus the fee of renting out the facility, plus the astronomical tip that probably has to be included for something like this for a party of that size. Like Magic said, it's sad but true. :shrug: I agree that it is a little wrong for them to just notify you 2 weeks or so out but like most business sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Perhaps this was booked when you booked your ressie but no one bothered to tell Dinning, anything really is possible.

Dwarful

They should have been able to tell you about the price increases when you made your original bookings. WDW has been doing 'seasonal' price increases the past few years. Seems to me if you booked a room at a resort and put down a deposit you'd pay the rate they quoted you even if they increased the price later on. You made your reservations they should honor the original pricing, they won't but they should. The seasonal pricing is getting a bit crazy though. I wonder just how busy they are with dining. I just called today and had 3 options to get into Le Cellier on our July trip (with about 56 days out )including a late lunch and two different decent timed dinners. I've always heard it was hard getting into LC but we never seem to have trouble.

wvdisneyfamily

I don't want to be a total jerk, but the prices are in the fine print. That part wouldn't upset me as much as the Coral Reef / Fulton's thing. They should have given you a chance to eat the Coral Reef.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom