I am having second thoughts

cococola44

Guys I need your votes and your real experiences. I would love to hear what you think

If you had the choice between staying at WL or AKL standard view rooms where would you stay and why...

if you have stayed in those places what makes you come to the decision in answering to this poll?

Now the situation is it is just my DH and I. No kids. It will be in september.

I have heard nothing but great things with WL and AKL and I don't know which one.

Tell me your experiences and what you would choose during that month and time.:sohappy:

dave mytych

AK! AK! AK! Both are GREAT!
AK! but if you are not renting a car, maybe WL.
We stayed at AK for 16 days back in 04 and it was so cozy and romantic.
Did I say AK!
Have a wonderful time.

Upvote 0

Coree

I think the key here is standard view (and persona preference on theme of course). We stay at AKL for our honeymoon and was upgraded from standard view to pool view. My personal opinion is that without a savannah view the resort is simply okay. We just found it very dark and much prefer the decor at WL.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I have current reservations for both. If I had to choose one over the other, both standard view, I would choose the Wilderness Lodge because of (1) its water transportation to the Magic Kingdom or Contemporary; (2) Artist Point restaurant and (3) the lobby.

When I stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, I have a savannah view. :)

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice though. :)

Upvote 0

Philo

We couldn't decide either so we split our last trip between them. We loved both of but my vote goes (very slightly) for WL because of the boat trip to MK, the boat hire and I prefer the log cabin theming.

My wife however prefered AKL. It was very beautiful but you do feel a little confined to your hotel because you can't really walk around the grounds.

In my opinion the bus system was better from AKL (a total supprise for us - we expected long trips!) but don't forget that boat ride to MK (also useful for getting to Hoop Dee Doo and California Grill).

Savannah view at AKL makes a big difference so if your not going for that then I would lean towards WL. That said, you can see the savannah from many places around the lodge and you would be foolish not to walk around at look at all the areas anyway.

We were very fortunate at the MK and we got a room overlooking MK. You couldn't see much except the top of the castle but Wishes looked great from there. These rooms are very rare though so I wouldn't let it influence you too much.

You're not going to go wrong either way - they are both great resorts and you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

We have stayed at both resorts. We stayed at the AKL in 2003. We had a Savanah view room which was amazing, I don't think I would stay there unless I had a Savanah view. The food at the Mara (quick service) was great and had a lot of choices. Boma was wonderful both for breakfast and dinner. We never made it to Jiko. The AKL is definatley an experience all in it's own.
We stayed at the WL this past April (so long ago :cry:) and it was wonderful! We booked at Courtyard view and when we checked in we were asked if we didn't mind a down grade to a standard view room. The difference in price was something like $470.00 and we could get it right then and there. After jumping for joy at the idea of even more spending money we took it! Now, standard it was! We were smack dap in front of the Whispering Canyon Cafe and that place is loud until 10:00 p.m. Our balcony faced the bus stop/parking lot and right under it was a loading area and trucks would be backing in as early as 5:30 a.m. All and all I think the courtyard would have been a better choice. It didn't spoil our trip by any means, we enjoyed everything about the WL. The food was good at the Roaring Fork (quick service) and the Whispering Canyon Cafe.
We also liked the pool area, it seemed a little more shaded from the sun which was great for our 1 yr old.
Both resorts are great, just decide where you want get to quicker, the Magic Kingdom or the Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I would go AK standard view over WL. Even though you wont get animal views from your room, there are plenty of overlooks that anyone can go to, and you will get great views of the animals from there.

The ambience and theming of AKL just cant be beat, it really is WL version 2.
Boma and Jiko at AKL are two of the best restaurants on property.

The pool at AKL is considerably better than WL in my opinion as well.

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I would go AK standard view over WL. Even though you wont get animal views from your room, there are plenty of overlooks that anyone can go to, and you will get great views of the animals from there.

The ambience and theming of AKL just cant be beat, it really is WL version 2.
Boma and Jiko at AKL are two of the best restaurants on property.

The pool at AKL is considerably better than WL in my opinion as well.
best resturante on property by far. precisely. sam and i ate there and would have made the special trip every morning if the bus service from AS-S wasnt so horrid (but that is a whole different story)

Only advantage the WL has is the proximity to MK and the TTC. just depends on your priorities. mine: get to MK asap with the kids to get Fantasyland over with... then branch out.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'd certainly say AK is more romantic (since you're not traveling with kids), and I prefer their restaurants and pool, but another factor to consider would be amenities and location. WL would give you ferry access to MK, plus boats to rent, and shuttle bus access to FW and all the amenities THERE. If those things are important to you, then maybe WL would be better. Otherwise, I'd say AK without hesitation.

Upvote 0

DVC Dave

Now the situation is it is just my DH and I. No kids.

We stayed at WL last year for part of our trip and the place is AMAZING, but if you want to be away from a lot of kids ( I think WL is VERY family oriented) I would stay at AKL. I am staying at AKL for a few days in October.

Upvote 0

coltow

I have current reservations for both. If I had to choose one over the other, both standard view, I would choose the Wilderness Lodge because of (1) its water transportation to the Magic Kingdom or Contemporary; (2) Artist Point restaurant and (3) the lobby.
DITTO. We love WL no matter what view we have. The location is perfect. There truly is something about the lobby. We wanted to stay at AKL this year, but without a savanna room we didn't see the point. You are kind of far away from the other parks and your only transportation is bus, at least you can travel by boat or bus at WL. And we are among the few that don't care for Boma.

Upvote 0

mouseFF

AKL is so much beter then WL I have stayed at both. The boat thing is not that great they are loud inside and if you don't get the right boat you are stuck going to FW first before the MK. Also the buses at the WL go to the GF after picking you up from the WL the buses from AKL have only one stop the lodge and where ever you are going.Then there is the pool, it was crowed at the WL it didn't matter if it was night or day also there were alot more kids. Our room at AKL was upgraded to the poolview when we stayed at the WL they would not upgrade us we got a first floor room looking at the WV last year my parents and grandparents went with us and they got standard view rooms they were over looking the employee parking lot and the smell from the dumpster was so bad that they could not sit on there balcony. I hope this will help you:wave:

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I have never stayed at either, so I didn't vote, but I wanted to give my opinions on my experience with these resorts.

Last year, my fiance, his brother & I went on a hidden Mickey hunt through all the resorts. We decided that WL was one of our absolute favorites to be at. Now, we didn't obviously see the rooms. But we did have lunch there, and saw the rest of the hotel. We saw the pool, the lobby, all the lounging areas, etc.

We all agreed that it was a better set-up that AKL and had a great theme to it. I expected AKL to be similar, but I kind of thought it was a little bit of a let down just to look at. I thought it would blow WL out of the water but I didn't think it did.

Keep in mind, again, I've never been a guest of these resorts. I'm just giving the point of view of 3 people in their mid-20's and what we thought of the 2 resorts while we walked through them. :)

Upvote 0

DISMOM

My favorite resort is...the one that I'm checked into at the time.!!!! Loved the Wilderness Lodge in 2004 and 2006. Now my favorite is French Quarter as we just stayed there 3 weeks ago!! We've toured the Animal Kingdom lodge. It was artistically well done. I keep thinking that Tarzan was going to jump out at me, though. I almost had an uneasy feeling.:eek: !!! Very realistic.

Upvote 0

cococola44

Original Poster
Very well put and great reviews.

I am an Epcot/MK freak so the access is a lot better at the WL. I just heard great things about both. Michael and I are going to set it final tonight.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

AKL is so much beter then WL I have stayed at both. The boat thing is not that great they are loud inside and if you don't get the right boat you are stuck going to FW first before the MK.

With all due respect, that's highly unusual to happen. The signs are clearly marked. There is one boat that goes directly to MK. Another boat goes to the Contemporary and Fort Wilderness. One is always on the left, and the other is always on the right.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom