Hurricane Milton coming to FL

drkarcher22

All you can do is make the offer. If somebody is that stubborn you can't force them to go with you. You did your part, it's up to them to accept your help.
Yeah I know, it’s just his wife seems to know that they need to get out but he’s being obstinate.

It’s just infuriating, it’s like seeing someone standing on train tracks and refusing to move. All the while you’re begging them to

Touchdown

Original Poster
Also if the eye passes south Tampa is not out of the woods, the surge might me better but the rain will be worse, and flash flooding will occur. The strongest rain bands will be north of the eye. Tampa is getting hit hard by this thing either way at this point.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ahh I guess you didnt hear about The Villigaes purchasing the former Monarch Ranch in January along with Benderson Development of Sarasota. So they are still growing like a (you pick your favorite item).

Given that The Villages stretches across 3 counties - Sumter, Lake & Orange - not surprising.

Lovely. That will make the Turnpike/I-75 interchange fun... 🤦🏻‍♀️

John park hopper

People don't realize the power -there is no stopping it and if you are on the beach there is storm surge and waves. The wife should pack up and leave if her husband is too pig headed. I had an elderly friend house on the inter coastal water way, he and his wife stayed last minute the drove to the local school and parked out of the wind. After Hugo passed their house was totally gone and it was brick. They would have been dead

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Also if the eye passes south Tampa is not out of the woods, the surge might me better but the rain will be worse, and flash flooding will occur. The strongest rain bands will be north of the eye. Tampa is getting hit hard by this thing either way at this point.
True but it will make it catastrophic instead of apocalyptic. Neither are good but if you have to choose then take the former.

Lilofan

It honestly makes more sense to go without windstorm insurance than flood insurance if your home was built to Miami-Dade codes post Andrew. Flood insurance is relatively inexpensive.
I think some homeowners think forgo spending a few hundred dollars a year on flood insurance with the mentality “here will never flood”.

John park hopper

Florida had some pretty lax building code prior to Andrew. I can remember going down to help and was amazed there was no cross bracing in so many roofs that were destroyed. Hope they require better standards now

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I am still very confused by Disney's waiting so long to make public operational changes.

There is a MNSSHP which as of now, is still scheduled to go on tonight. When you have public officials sounding the alarm all around, taking this lackadaisical position and continuing on as if nothing is happening is not only bad optics, but irresponsible.

For resort guests and even those non-locals staying off-property, most of whom who know nothing about riding out a regular hurricane, let alone something as powerful as this, there needs to be more information given as to what they need to do in the event things get very bad. A popup message in MDE saying we're watching it, just does not cut it.

I can also imagine there are many CM who may not be feeling magical today who have no choice but to be at work and who have family and property in the path of the storm that also need to prepare.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Florida had some pretty lax building code prior to Andrew. I can remember going down to help and was amazed there was no cross bracing in so many roofs that were destroyed. Hope they require better standards now
Buildings post 1995 are required to be designed to be resistant to a CAT2 storm.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That's an issue created largely by people who aren't in an evacuation zone deciding to evacuate to avoid inconveniences like power outages. If you aren't subject to evacuation orders you should prepare and hunker down and leave the limited highway capacity and available fuel for people whose lives are at risk. You can live without AC for a few days, there are people who will be killed if they can't get out of the highest risk areas.

Voluntary evacuation zones are still evacuation zones. You can’t have it both ways, saying “if you’re in the path of this thing you need to get out” but then coming back with “but only if you’re in zones A, B, or C!!”

This isn’t fair to lay at the feet of the people leaving. Especially with this thing so far out still that the landing point is uncertain.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Prior to Andrew, there was no statewide building code, it was up to each individual county to develop & enforce a code. Andrew proved the fallacy of that.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
In St. Petersburg, they are scheduled to start picking up debris this coming Monday. I don’t know if Milton will change this plan but I am thankful that my neighborhood wasn’t impacted to hard. I know several people at work that got hit hard and I am worried about them with this storm.

This is what worries me personally the most. I'm about 30-35 miles inland from Homosassa in sumter county 😭

I live just north of Tampa well outside of any flood zone but still in the cone. The business is in Tampa though so I’m worried about the storm surge and wind.

Physically, mostly (forgot a few things until it was too late, but nothing that will hopefully be critical, just things I wish I had done for a little extra peace of mind). Mentally, not at all. 😂

I live just a few miles north, so kinda.

We arrive tomorrow. Hopefully all will be well. We've already been here in Florida a week and a half but staying in Bradenton feeling the effects of the first hit. Because we're in a critical position we'll at least be better off in WDW than where we are currently whenever the worst of this arrives.

Currently here there is an advisory of them monitoring the situation but that is all. Supposed to move to a universal resort on Wednesday

10 minutes from Western Way.

Please continue to check in as you can. I’ll be sending you thoughts and prayers because I’m useless to do anything but wait at this point.

We have a house in Charlotte Harbor, but we are currently in Ohio and All our loved ones have left now too. So I’ll be sending all my worry your way.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Voluntary evacuation zones are still evacuation zones. You can’t have it both ways, saying “if you’re in the path of this thing you need to get out” but then coming back with “but only if you’re in zones A, B, or C!!”

This isn’t fair to lay at the feet of the people leaving. Especially with this thing so far out still that the landing point is uncertain.

Thank you for pointing this out. This was a major criticism after Ian in 2022 with regards to evacuation zones.

My thought? If I'm in a coastal area from Cedar Key down to Naples, I would have planned to prepare my home and leave. Inland Broward County or NW Dade would have been my choice.

Lilofan

Inland away from the coast, this is going to be a wind event more than a flood event.
Driving from I-4 to the 417 toll road on the way to WDW we saw waterfront homes crossing one of the low lying bridges . We counted at least 10 homes with water as high as the top of their first floor windows and that was just from a big rain event - no hurricane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom