Hurricane Milton coming to FL

MerlinTheGoat

There's been talk of it weakening as it approaches the shore. The models they have give that a small chance it will unexpectedly decrease to sub-hurricane winds. It could happen. But a small chance.

That's how models and math works.

Hurricanes have been known to do unexpected things: speed up or slow down their trajectory; lose their eyewall; strengthen or weaken; spread out or close in.

Models take that into account and based on past experiences of surprises, give a percent chance.

It's like how everyone who understands the cone of probability keeps lecturing those who think that's how wide the hurricane is that they're wrong. The hurricane could be here.... or... 100 miles to the north. It's rare to get 100% certainty.

The cone of uncertainty shows uncertainty. That gets put into probabilistic terms, like percentages.
I know, that's why I said I know about the statistical chances. But the chances of this not hitting the coast as a hurricane are obscenely slim. Like not even worth considering for the layman. People shouldn't look at those chances and think there's actually any hope the thing will fizzle out to a tropical storm and/or take a turn away from FL entirely.

Levi Cowan/tropical tidbits feels we won't know for sure until just before landfall. He wants to see wind shear timing vs eyewall replacement cycles. Still some hope this could be a disaster vs a catastrophe
One of the staff of Storm2k, wxman, was claiming the other day that he believed it would end up turning south and hitting between Sarasota and Ft Myers. Even boldly saying closer to Ft Myers was plausible. He's a moderator over there and well respected among the hurricane watching community and apparently has a great track record (he has a career at a private weather prediction company I gather). However, while he was still saying a southern turn was possible as of yesterday, he has since softened on the prediction and deferred to the Tampa projection of the NHC.

There are degrees for what damage it could cause and maybe some minor changes to where it touches land. But I don't see any possibility it won't hit the central western coast of FL as a nasty hurricane.

The consensus of the path in the major (and even most minor) models has been disturbing. I also had a sort of morbid laugh the other day when the NHC threw some shade at some of the models that were showing a shift away from Tampa. That was a bold thing to call out, but also to me indicates they're extremely confident in their claims. That sort of uncharacteristic confidence from them isn't comforting. I can't remember any other point where they've outright called out model dissent like that.

Last edited:

celluloid

This is how things change in the final 30 hours or less. Fort Myers was bye bye two days ago and Cape Coral and Fort Myers were fearing/prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. It could still wobble back that way but now Orlando is going to get this far worse compared to most Hurricanes they have had in the past with wind speeds of 100 mph and Cape Coral and Fort Myers will only see 100mph as gusts.

And things can still change quite a lot.

Vegas Disney Fan

Over/under on how many moron vloggers try to live stream from Disney in the middle of hurricane?
I may be the exception but I enjoy these, I find it fascinating seeing how the resorts take care of their guests during the storms. (As long as they’re reporting in a safe way)

SC requires homes to be built above the 100yr highest flood level. My son's house (just built) is on 10' block filled with rebar and concrete. all connected by a continuous slab. Hurricane brackets on all roof trusses and stud walls, shingles rated for 130 mph winds

Smart, I feel like this is the future everywhere. We’ll never be able to prevent damage from the extremes (like a 20’ storm surge) but simple solutions like raising foundations a couple feet would prevent flooding in a lot of normal cases.

After reading all of this thread, maybe I shouldn't complain so much about the blizzards and ice storms we get up here in the winter. Yikes.

This is how I feel about the heat in Vegas, it sucks for a few months every summer but in the 2 decades I’ve lived here I’ve never once had to worry about losing my life, or losing my home.

The last couple years have really made me reevaluate my “retire to Florida” plan, 50% as a result of storms, 50% a result from how negatively Disney has changed.

celluloid

I am the opposite. I would take a Hurricane over a winter. Hurricanes are mass catastrophic, but I have time to prepare. I am still expected to work and drive in the harsh -20 degree weather windchill environments I am in now where there is death by exposure. Extremes everywhere you go, but I miss the tropics.

DarkMetroid567

The last couple years have really made me reevaluate my “retire to Florida” plan, 50% as a result of storms, 50% a result from how negatively Disney has changed.
Yeah, this is why my plan has basically become SoCal despite the $$$$, plus the four hour drive home is nice. Additionally I tried Orlando and it just wasn’t for me.

Tom P.

Can someone help me interpret this information overload? What is the expected impact projected to be for Naples? I have family there.

celluloid

Can someone help me interpret this information overload? What is the expected impact projected to be for Naples? I have family there.

A disclaimer. Things can change, but as of now, Naples will see strong winds and potential flooding in certain areas. WIthout knowing specifics that is what I can say but if it makes you feel better at this point, the big picture Naples will not recieve anything they have not had before if your family has been there for decades.

Google Wink Tv for the SWFL Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Sanibel area news.

MerlinTheGoat

Seminole County spokesperson is speaking live on the local channels, he's stating it will be worse than Charlie and is likely to cause tornadoes. Charlie tore many roofs off in Orlando and the surrounding areas. I didn't move here until 2016, but I know from permits that my home's roof received some significant damage during Charlie. Not sure how old it was though. We just got a new roof last year. Hopefully its youth improves its chances of surviving, but I really don't know...

celluloid

Seminole County spokesperson is speaking live on the local channels, he's stating it will be worse than Charlie and is likely to cause tornadoes. Charlie tore many roofs off in Orlando and the surrounding areas. I didn't move here until 2016, but I know from permits that my home's roof received some significant damage during Charlie. Not sure how old it was though. We just got a new roof last year. Hopefully its youth improves its chances of surviving, but I really don't know...

Yes, because of the way it is hitting and where landfall will happen, its strength will very likely be more powerful than what Charley was by the time it reached Orlando.

Vegas Disney Fan

Yeah, this is why my plan has basically become SoCal despite the $$$$, plus the four hour drive home is nice. Additionally I tried Orlando and it just wasn’t for me.

We’re now leaning more towards the NC, TN, KY area but after last week even those inland areas aren’t looking all that safe from natural disasters.

I desperately want to live in a less congested, and green, area but with a paid off house in (mostly safe) Vegas sometimes it feels like it makes more sense to just stay put and travel more.

lazyboy97o

The Florida Building Code, despite being a direct response to Hurricane Andrew, did not go into effect until 2002. Hopefully the stricter standards that had not really had a chance to be implemented 20 years ago will help.

celluloid

We’re now leaning more towards the NC, TN, KY area but after last week even those inland areas aren’t looking all that safe from natural disasters.

I desperately want to live in a less congested, and green, area but with a paid off house in (mostly safe) Vegas sometimes it feels like it makes more sense to just stay put and travel more.

Just curious, would you ever do Arizona? It does not seem green enough but I admittedly don't know all areas.

DisneyCane

That actually might make a lot of sense. Retire where you are and travel to cooler, less congested places during the summer.

Gringrinngghost

Due to Hurricane Milton, Universal Orlando Resort is making the following operational changes for Wednesday, Oct. 9 and Thursday, Oct. 10:

• On 10/9, Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure and Universal CityWalk will be open until 2 p.m. and will be closed on 10/10.
  • Universal Volcano Bay will be closed 10/9 and 10/10.
  • Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Florida is canceled 10/9 and 10/10.
  • Our hotels remain operational as they focus on taking care of our guests.
    We anticipate a full reopening of our destination, including Halloween Horror Nights, on Friday, Oct. 11 at our normal operating hours pending the outcome of storm impacts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom