Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Lilofan

Please continue to check in as you can. I’ll be sending you thoughts and prayers because I’m useless to do anything but wait at this point.

We have a house in Charlotte Harbor, but we are currently in Ohio and All our loved ones have left now too. So I’ll be sending all my worry your way.
I have learned that hurricane force winds over 125mph will sustain heavy or complete roof damage.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Please continue to check in as you can. I’ll be sending you thoughts and prayers because I’m useless to do anything but wait at this point.

We have a house in Charlotte Harbor, but we are currently in Ohio and All our loved ones have left now too. So I’ll be sending all my worry your way.

Glad the aunties have evacuated. Fingers crossed the house will be okay.

Touchdown

Original Poster
Latest update, still just a Cat 4. Good news
IMG_6717.jpeg

natatomic

Do we know if anyone on the forum is stuck at Disney this time?
We live in a manufactured home 1.5 miles west of DAKL. We’re gonna stay the night in a hotel, but my mom, who lives with us, is going to stay in the house*.

*edited to add that that’s her current plan. Knowing her, she’ll change her mind last minute and join us.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Voluntary evacuation zones are still evacuation zones. You can’t have it both ways, saying “if you’re in the path of this thing you need to get out” but then coming back with “but only if you’re in zones A, B, or C!!”

This isn’t fair to lay at the feet of the people leaving. Especially with this thing so far out still that the landing point is uncertain.
I'm talking about people who aren't in evacuation zones at all. Voluntary evacuation zones should get out as soon as there is a decent likelihood of the storm hitting where they are. I'm talking about people who live 10 miles inland on highish (for Florida) ground that evacuate because they don't want to have to live without power for a few days.

Ayla

We live in a manufactured home 1.5 miles west of DAKL. We’re gonna stay the night in a hotel, but my mom, who lives with us, is going to stay in the house.
Why? One of the first places they tell people to evacuate in any kind of wind event are mobile homes and RV's...and she is choosing to stay??

Lilofan

We live in a manufactured home 1.5 miles west of DAKL. We’re gonna stay the night in a hotel, but my mom, who lives with us, is going to stay in the house.
During Charley a number of Kissimmee and Orlando mobile homes and homes were damaged in Cat 1 Charley in 04’ but perhaps the newer models are better made with improved anchoring.

Ayla

I'm talking about people who aren't in evacuation zones at all. Voluntary evacuation zones should get out as soon as there is a decent likelihood of the storm hitting where they are. I'm talking about people who live 10 miles inland on highish (for Florida) ground that evacuate because they don't want to have to live without power for a few days.
You do realize this storm isn't just about water, correct? It is going to be a major wind event across the entire width of the FL peninsula.

natatomic

Why? One of the first places they tell people to evacuate in any kind of wind event are mobile homes and RV's...and she is choosing to stay??
Well, she keeps going back and forth. But honestly, a good chunk of the neighborhood stays every hurricane. Having said that, I have a feeling if the fire department comes and knocks on everyone’s door telling them to evacuate - which is what they do when they anticipate it to be particularly bad – she’ll head out and join us.

Lilofan

Even if residents flee to hotels , a number of hotels basically have generators to power limited lighting , front desk operations but AC and full power is hit or miss.

Ayla

I am still very confused by Disney's waiting so long to make public operational changes.

There is a MNSSHP which as of now, is still scheduled to go on tonight. When you have public officials sounding the alarm all around, taking this lackadaisical position and continuing on as if nothing is happening is not only bad optics, but irresponsible.

For resort guests and even those non-locals staying off-property, most of whom who know nothing about riding out a regular hurricane, let alone something as powerful as this, there needs to be more information given as to what they need to do in the event things get very bad. A popup message in MDE saying we're watching it, just does not cut it.

I can also imagine there are many CM who may not be feeling magical today who have no choice but to be at work and who have family and property in the path of the storm that also need to prepare.
I 100% agree with you, especially now that a Hurricane Warning has been issued for the WDW area. They better be moving all the first floor rooms up to higher levels.

I just checked and they still have the same message posted from over 12 hours ago. It has yet to be updated.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Flood insurance is relatively inexpensive.
Cheaper than replacing your house out of your bank account, sure. But after back-to-back storm surges on Florida's western coast, expect flood insurance rates outside of Zone X to skyrocket in the next year or two.

For example, in Aug 2023, in zip codes 33629 and 33606, there were 6,078 policies at a median risk-based cost of $25,477,480.32. Those two zip codes cover the Bayshore Drive and ritzy areas just west of downtown Tampa, and if you've ever driven that stretch of Hillsborough County, you know the property values there are astronomically higher than $25 million.

Now the kicker -- the actual premiums paid were SIGNIFICANTLY less! $7,373,352 or less than a third of what the actual risk-based premium should have been.

There's no possible way to sustain flood insurance at those rates compared to the risks involved. Our favorite mythical family of four from Colorado, along with just about everyone else not living in Flood Zone A, are subsidizing those ridiculously low flood insurance rates and will continue to do so until legislation puts some fiscal teeth in the program.

But I don't want to make this an off-topic discussion of how screwed up flood insurance is -- if you live in 33629 or 33606, get out of town, like yesterday!

According to the FL 511 website, northbound I-75 left shoulder use is authorized for evacuations from Tampa to I-10.

DisneyCane

You do realize this storm isn't just about water, correct? It is going to be a major wind event across the entire width of the FL peninsula.
The inland winds are not going to be strong enough to tear down houses (except possibly from some isolated tornados that get spawned). The main danger to life and limb is the storm surge.

Look at windy.com and see how quickly the sustained winds become lower speed as you get a few miles inland.

Country Walk is only 9 miles inland and the houses weren't built nearly strong enough to stand up to any significant winds (ironically built by Arvida that was owned by Disney).

The Mom

Premium Member
70% chance of a flash flood. Not 70% of all land will be flooded.
Exactly. Low lying areas near bodies of water, including ditches, will have flooding. Not wash your house away flooding, but streets will be covered flooding. Some people may have water enter their houses - but again, not wash away the whole house flooding.

Trees and roof damage will also be more of an issue inland. We live uphill from a creek. It will flood, the street next to it will flood, and the houses on the other side may have water on the first floor.

We will not have any rising water damage - but we still have flood insurance just in case. ;)

Lilofan

The inland winds are not going to be strong enough to tear down houses (except possibly from some isolated tornados that get spawned). The main danger to life and limb is the storm surge.

Look at windy.com and see how quickly the sustained winds become lower speed as you get a few miles inland.

Country Walk is only 9 miles inland and the houses weren't built nearly strong enough to stand up to any significant winds (ironically built by Arvida that was owned by Disney).
If the boats of all sizes have not left Tampa St Pete by now those left may be part of the downtown landscaping post Milton.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom