Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Achtzehn

3A3D446E-B365-44A5-9D0C-52815DA27150.png

lazyboy97o

One of my closest friends who I went to med school with is a cardiologist working at HCA Florida Largo Hospital. He's sent his family to Orlando but is the "lock in cardiologist" for the next 3 days. Looking at images of the facility it looks like it's primarily glass windows all around. I'm assuming that it's made to withstand hurricane winds? The hospital is only a mile off shore so needless to say I'm concerned about his safety.
As a facility with surgery and emergency services, it would considered a Risk Category IV which are “Buildings and other structures designated as essential facilities” (FBC Table 1604.5). Those large windows are supposed to be impacted rated and the structure designed to handle at a minimum wind gusts around 160 mph.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
One of my closest friends who I went to med school with is a cardiologist working at HCA Florida Largo Hospital. He's sent his family to Orlando but is the "lock in cardiologist" for the next 3 days. Looking at images of the facility it looks like it's primarily glass windows all around. I'm assuming that it's made to withstand hurricane winds? The hospital is only a mile off shore so needless to say I'm concerned about his safety.
The short answer is yes.

tallica

Just an update.

Frontier finally officially cancelled my original flight for Wednesday morning around 10:30pm Monday night.

The rebook options were for Thursday, due to land at MCO ~7pm. There was an earlier flight in the morning, but that looks to be also gone/cancelled, so maybe they think/know MCO will still be closed Thurs morning.

I could've refunded for airline credit, which I wasn't really interested in. Refund back to my CC required a call apparently and up to 2 weeks.

Considering this flight was only ~$55, taking the refund and rebooting with another airline ($300+) isn't as ideal. I also have a separate flight leaving MCO to BOS for a separate work engagement, so I do need to somehow be in Orlando before the following Monday.

Hoping for the best for everyone there!
With the current forecast I don't think MCO will open until late Thursday or maybe Friday.

Lilofan

Tropicana Field in St Petersburg is the staging area for first responders for Milton . Thousands of cots are on the playing field where first responders will be sleeping. The place will probably have more people in the building than in a typical Devil Rays game.

Last edited:

DisneyDreamerxyz

I worked rideout crew for Ian and had to be on my feet for 24 hours before they let us sleep. We were called in around 10am and we worked all day and overnight and then were able to go to our hotel room the next morning. (1 roommate with a coworker) and then get up to work overnight again. The food was pretty meh I ended up buying a pizza for myself because the food provided wasnt filling me up.

celluloid

I completely understand the reasoning behind closing, but why not just be upfront and say "Based on current forecast track, we are expecting to close our parks on blank dates."

Worst case scenario, if you are afraid of losing business, you cut staffing that day to reduce operating costs. Nobody in their right mind would enjoy a day at IOA if its raining all day, everything but 3 attractions remain open during torrential rain. No locals will be at F&W dining in the rain. I just don't get it.
A bit of hubris there for sure for UO and WDW.

Brian

CM's and the public should have known yesterday what the plan was. Pure incompetence.
Not really. The storm was originally supposed to make landfall around Tuesday evening, then Wednesday afternoon, and now it's looking like 1am Thursday, and there's potential for that to go later still. Disney is wisely waiting to see if they can have a shortened operating day on Wednesday, or if the track has significant deviation which would spare the area from the worst of the effects, which has happened several times in recent memory.

I don't think people realize how much money Disney stands to lose from having the parks closed, even for a day. This is a decision which is not taken lightly in the slightest, and can't be made solely for the sake of good vibes and appeasing uninterested parties that allege they're not "doing the right thing" fast enough.

That said, an announcement should be expected late this afternoon.

JMcMahonEsq

CM's and the public should have known yesterday what the plan was. Pure incompetence.
Why would the public need to know yesterday what WDW's plan was? Is there some out there who was thinking I can see the weather reports, and all the updates, the state of emergency being declared, but if WDW doesn't announce its closed we are showing up on Wed/Thursday we are going? If so then those people need to win the darwin award to help protect the species.

Workers are another story.

Lilofan

With the current forecast I can see Disney being open until 5 pm on Wednesday. Got to make that money.
A number of cast live in cheaper COL Davenport , Lakeland Winter Haven Haines City as compared to Orlando and consideration hopefully happens if these cast working Tuesday night still have to drive home in very inclement weather.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Latest update, still just a Cat 4. Good newsView attachment 819704

I'm not going to mince words - What a moronic thing to say. "It was only an EF-4 tornado instead of an EF-5, thank goodness". You do realize that a potential reduction of 10mph of wind and 1ft less of storm surge isn't going to mean jack squat for the amount of damage done, right?

Andrew25

Not really. The storm was originally supposed to make landfall around Tuesday evening, then Wednesday afternoon, and now it's looking like 1am Thursday, and there's potential for that to go later still. Disney is wisely waiting to see if they can have a shortened operating day on Wednesday, or if the track has significant deviation which would spare the area from the worst of the effects, which has happened several times in recent memory.

I don't think people realize how much money Disney stands to lose from having the parks closed, even for a day. This is a decision which is not taken lightly in the slightest, and can't be made solely for the sake of good vibes and appeasing uninterested parties that allege they're not "doing the right thing" fast enough.

That said, an announcement should be expected late this afternoon.
The issue is that a lot of non-Floridians don't entirely understand how large a hurricane actually is. Everyone loves to focus on the eye, but its effects are large spread, with most of the rain occurring prior to the eye even reaching land. A tourist who arrives in Orlando this week completely understands bad weather is coming, but don't necessarily understand how it'll impact the area even with the eyes 100 miles away.

I lived in Celebration during Ian, and RCID (at the time) was monitoring Reedy Creek (the actual waterway) to make sure it flowing out of WDW property correctly, and it got very high. All of the walkways in the wetlands around Celebration were closed off for quite a while as it completely flooded (thankfully no homes suffered flooding damage, but it was quite close).

Hurricane Ian was a Cat 4 when it made landfall in SW Florida, and brought lots of flooding into the Kissimmee/Orlando area... where a good amount of CMs live. Did we not see the images out of Universal and how much flooding they received during Ian? It ripped a hole off the side of the Jurassic Park River Adventure showbuilding.

As for how much money the parks can lose when they close... how much money can they actually generate on a stormy day when flights can't get in with paying tourists and hotels are booked with families from the coast not going to the parks? Who in their right mind, outside a few non-locals, is interested in visiting the parks when rain is expected to fall for 2-3 days continuously? Not enough to generate a significant profit.

tallica

A number of cast live in cheaper COL Davenport , Lakeland Winter Haven Haines City as compared to Orlando and consideration hopefully happens if these cast working Tuesday night still have to drive home in very inclement weather.
Storm winds not expected for Disney until late Wednesday early Thursday and may be later if trend continues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom