Hurricane Matthew

Seanual757

I agree with others if you are already at Disney DO NOT leave it's going to be more rough on the roads if you do, I saw more heave traffic on the Turnpike this morning and the Beachline due to the evacuations. Not to mention almost all of the gas stations I passed this morning (12:30am) were out of gas (I believe more supplies will be coming in the morning). Stick it out in the hotel again it's made of concrete. No telling what could happen if you leave now and head north if this thing happened to turn more west north of Cocoa Beach and head inland you will be screwed on the roads.

MCO has said airlines will start suspending operations in the early afternoon and then resuming operations on Saturday and getting back to normal ops Sunday and Monday.

I am approx. 20 min from WDW in Ocoee we are expecting winds in the 60-70 mph range for several hours, we are staying put no sense in being on the roads.

I know we are shutting down at work at noon today so and we will re-open on Monday.

Longhairbear

The American Southeast has been in such a long hurricane drought, for over a decade really. As an old guy, it's fascinating to see all these young people who live in Hurricane Country who have absolutely no plan in place to protect themselves and their family, and then baffled that gas stations and supermarkets are already sold out and empty two days ahead of landfall.

I've never been through a hurricane. I moved to coastal South Carolina in '92 just after Hugo. My entire time in South Carolina I had Sterilite containers in the garage full of bottled water, food, and supplies for a weeks worth of living, rotated out for freshness every June. A car was always kept with at least 3/4 tank of gas with 72 hours of food and water in the trunk. I have a firearm and tools that can protect me for a week or two without a functioning police force. I was always ready, but never needed it.

Now I live in Earthquake Country in SoCal. All the same prep is in place in my garage and the trunk of a high-mileage car that never goes below 3/4 of a tank. With earthquakes we don't get the luxuriously decadent 72 hours notice that East Coasters get with major hurricanes. The Big One will hit SoCal with absolutely no warning and within 90 seconds thousands of Californians will be killed and tens of thousands more will be seriously injured, and life won't return to normal for months or perhaps years. It will likely trigger a national recession by taking the major global capital of Los Angeles entirely offline for 30 to 90 days.

So pardon me if I have absolutely no patience for all these folks living and visiting Florida during hurricane season who are shocked, SHOCKED!, to learn an actual hurricane is headed their way when they have made absolutely no preparations to safeguard themselves, their family and their property. They don't have gas, they don't have groceries, they don't have water, they don't have a plan. It's truly fascinating to watch play out.

I would hope that Walt Disney World management is better prepared for this potential storm and its damage than much of the general populace appears to be. Good luck to all of them.
I grew up in MA., and lived through many hurricanes, and blizzards. I'm now in South CA. also, have been evacuated 3 times for wildfires. Of course we have an earthquake kit, in both cars, and at home. I just bought new water to rotate out the old supply. We have almost everything we need in case the house gets flattened. Water purify tabs, freeze dried food, and charcoal grill to cook on.

Herbst20

I have been in steady contact with United ( our carrier) as we fly in on October 9th. I know they do not know what totally to expect, but they are saying inbound flights to MCO will be normal on Sunday. They did say outbound flights could see some delays. We are still planning on making the trip. Praying for the best

Seanual757

I have been in steady contact with United ( our carrier) as we fly in on October 9th. I know they do not know what totally to expect, but they are saying inbound flights to MCO will be normal on Sunday. They did say outbound flights could see some delays. We are still planning on making the trip. Praying for the best

Inbound flights should be no problem (as long as the airport is not damaged) as all of United equipment will be our of harms way. Aircraft heading into Orlando this morning will turn right around and head out NO aircraft UAL or others will be caught on the ground in Orlando during the storm. Outbound flights after the storm will be a challenge but nothing new, UAL and other carriers will position aircraft and crews around the system to move equipment in to start moving passengers as soon as GOAA says the airport looks good to take on aircraft.

I have been part of two re-position flights back when I flew for United we will fly and empty aircraft in w/ a full crew as soon as we are given the all clear. They may RON several planes in Atlanta on Friday then bring them down Saturday morning.

JohnD

Original Poster
we're here at the grand Floridian. A lot the staff act like everything is perfectly fine. My husband wants to pack us and the 4 kids up, but we are scheduled until the 11th, with Halloween parties on the 7th and 10th and bippity on the 10th as well... I'm afraid we're going to lose all of that... This is our youngest' so first trip here.. So disappointing thinking about leaving early :(

I think you're safer staying at this point. Added bonus: You're riding out Matthew with Mickey and pals at WDW. Then beautiful weather after that to visit the parks. Talk about a memorable trip.

JohnD

Original Poster
I do hate that so many people In the mandatory zones didn't evacuate.

It could still move though.

My folks in Jax are staying. At least they're west of the St. Johns River. Still forecasts now show 80-100mph winds.

Last edited:

Donillary Crumpton

I was originally flying down Friday morning but my flight got cancelled and I rescheduled it for Sunday afternoon. Do you think everything will be alright by then? Will everything in the parks be in working order or is it not even worth the trip down?
It's hard to tell at this point. By Sunday, this storm could be weakened, and drifting out into the Atlantic to become nothing more than a bad memory.
Yet there are some projections which say that after this weekend's brush along the coast, it could loop out into the Atlantic, strengthen, loop back toward land, and hit Fla dead-on.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...florida-again-models-show-20161005-story.html

Just be prepared either way, have backup plans in order, and hope for the best. Each passing day will give us a clearer picture as to what this storm path holds.

Seanual757

Latest WFTV Report shows 85+ mph winds (sustained) with gusts over 100+ in Downtown Orlando Friday 10am, Hurricane force wings extending father into Central Florida. Starting tonight by 8pm we will have sustained 50-70+ mph winds in Orlando, and increasing all night.

Last edited:

Biggen

Disney still hasn't closed their parks. Ridiculous... Are they really expecting to have employees work while a Cat 4 storm pushes past the area?!

danv3

Scheduled to fly down on Saturday from Raleigh. Expect our airport to be open since the storm appears to be turning away from NC. Whether the Orlando airport will be open to receive us...

Bocko57

Scheduled to fly down on Saturday from Raleigh. Expect our airport to be open since the storm appears to be turning away from NC. Whether the Orlando airport will be open to receive us...

We are flying into Orlando on Saturday afternoon. We are hoping the airport will be open too. With all that wind and rain on Friday, who knows what condition the airport will be. :grumpy::grumpy: If we cannot make it down Saturday, we'll have to cancel the trip. :cry::cry:

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Please please please stay safe up there.

Evidently the area of Florida I live in is the area everyone is fleeing to. Hotels in the area are almost all booked and the price gouging has begun.

Stay safe folks and don't do anything illogical, like driving from Charleston to Orlando haha :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom