Hurricane Matthew

AEfx

Well, bippity is actually the 7th... There's no way to reschedule that for this trip... The weather reports say delve station like we've never seen.. My husband wants to head to Tennessee... I'm scared of getting caught in traffic. Would I-75 be bad?

Listen to what folks are telling you. The roads and everything else are going to be a rushed mess for many reasons. You are way more safe where you are. Enjoy your trip and don't let weather get you down. You would be much more likely to run into issues trying to join the fray. Many of the people evacuating the coast would head to WDW if it wasn't booked and the cost.

It's just a hurricane. You are inland. It's going to rain like heck but at most the parks will close for a partial day. Every building in WDW was built specifically to be as safe as possible in this situation. If you are already there you would be foolish to leave now. Enjoy the lighter crowds and just do what Disney tells you and you will be fine!

R W B

Well, bippity is actually the 7th... There's no way to reschedule that for this trip... The weather reports say delve station like we've never seen.. My husband wants to head to Tennessee... I'm scared of getting caught in traffic. Would I-75 be bad?
I-75 will be horrible! Everyone south of you is currently leaving and passing you. I really wouldn't leave. I live in New Orleans and have dealt with plenty of hurricanes and while this can be scary to people who aren't used to them, I wouldn't worry at all if I was at WDW right now. Sure, you will get heavy rains and winds for a day but it'll be fine after that.

R W B

So when Fort Wilderness is closed do the make the guests in Cabins leave too or just the tents/RV guests?

The Weather Channel just said Jim Cantore will be in Melboune, FL so that is officially the only place in Florida I would not want to be in lol.

Donillary Crumpton

Yea, I know that I have plenty to be happy about. You're definitely right! :) I know we were moved for our own safety but yes it is still a bummer...we paid for a cabin and we're sent to what feels like a road side motel and I had to fight for a credit even though I know the cabins cost more than this place and I should not have had to fight for that. If I paid for a $50 steak and you tell me "sorry, cant feed you the steak because it's tainted but here's a $5 burger so you don't starve" I shouldn't have to fight with you and 3 other people for and hour on the ohone while in MK to get my $45 back. And no....I wasn't expecting a credit for the part of my trip that was already past...just the part remaining. That is dissapointing and not "brattish" despite what the troll says.
During a hurricane or any crisis situation, be grateful you are offered any safe place out of harms way. There is a lot more at stake in the grand scheme of things during hurricane events than whether or not you end up in a deluxe or value.

PhotoDave219

I did read my first post. And again, I simply said I hate it. I didn't go on and on aND poo poo all over it. So I don't agree with you. I understand your concern for your family, I do. But people can still be dissapointed in things, hating their current situation and yet know that they're still much more fortunate than others. Doesn't make them a bad person.

Seriously lady? 25 people have already died in Haiti because of this storm and you're kvetching about not having the high end steel & concrete around you, just the ordinary steel & concrete? Get a grip.

PhotoDave219

Couple thoughts....

This is the worst storm to approach Central Florida in decades.

If you live east of Orlando? Get out now. Seriously, grab your stuff and go. Thats where the worst of the winds are and considering Exuma, Bahamas hit 119mph sustained winds before going off-line, you don't wanna be near this storm. And no, the eye didnt pass over Exuma. Be prepared for several days without power.

If you live in a mobile home? Get out now. Thats seriously a dumb idea.

Those in the Disney area? Gonna be windy, lots of tree damage. The Disney hotels are made of concrete and steel. You're ridiculously safe in them. Safer in them than any of the apartments. Disney will take care of you, just realize that daily maid service & room service is extremely unlikely. Go with the flow, Disney is a city of 100,000+ people at any given moment. Everyone is in the same boat as you, including the cast. Now is not the time to be indignant or a guest with an attitude. Listen to the CMs and for god sakes, stay out of the darn pool in the storm.

Several hotels are offering steep discounts (Gaylord Palms) for evacuees.

For those curious.... Here's my video from 2004 & Hurricane Charley. Good baseline comparison of what to expect tho the winds never hit hurricane strength at Disney during that.

PhotoDave219

we're here at the grand Floridian. A lot the staff act like everything is perfectly fine. My husband wants to pack us and the 4 kids up, but we are scheduled until the 11th, with Halloween parties on the 7th and 10th and bippity on the 10th as well... I'm afraid we're going to lose all of that... This is our youngest' so first trip here.. So disappointing thinking about leaving early :(

Stay. Youre better off at the GF. Disney will take care of you. Better than being stuck on the road for 12 hours.

PhotoDave219

Living here in Dr. Phillips we are honestly not worried about this too much. Having lived in much worse areas for hurricanes, we'll get a lot of rain and gusty winds.

You still have to take it seriously, though I honestly don't expect too much from it as far as "hurricanes" are concerned.

Stay safe on the coast if you are out there.

No offense Eddie, but this is a lot worse than 2004 or any of the storms since. I wish you well, you're on the better side of Orlando. I really hope you're right.

PhotoDave219

Disappointed perhaps, but considering she was moved for her own safety while countless others along the path of this storm will suffer major damage to their property or perhaps to themselves, it strikes me as a bit "brattish" to complain like that.

I'm fine with being called judgmental and I'm fine with judging her.

When I spend half my night talking to friends, calming them down, and going over if they have all their ducks in a row insurance wise, I'm fine with being called judgmental. Considering that more people are going to die, I have no problem calling someone out for whining that they were moved to be surrounded by concrete and steel. Especially when theres a bit of the cast that lives in apartments or mobile homes that cant come close to the protection these hotels do.

I've been through my share of hurricanes. I'm not fond of them, they get a 0/5 stars from me on yelp. Would not recommend.

Mary Walsh

I was originally flying down Friday morning but my flight got cancelled and I rescheduled it for Sunday afternoon. Do you think everything will be alright by then? Will everything in the parks be in working order or is it not even worth the trip down?

PhotoDave219

I remember seeing videos of the All Stars when Wilma went through and they were pretty safe, with those being the lower end rooms hopefully the rest are as secure.

It also makes you see why some rides and attractions take so long to develop, I have to believe they should get tested for severe weather.

Prayers for Florida, get your park on now if you are there and stock up what you can, then get safe.

Theyre very safe, I reposed my charley video from 04 from the AS Sports.

lazyboy97o

Seriously, leaving might as well be equated to a suicide mission. There are almost no positives and you just greatly increase the chances of hurting your family. Stay put.

PhotoDave219

I was originally flying down Friday morning but my flight got cancelled and I rescheduled it for Sunday afternoon. Do you think everything will be alright by then? Will everything in the parks be in working order or is it not even worth the trip down?

Unknown at this point. MCO took a few days to get back to normal after Charley. Depends on the path of the storm. 50 miles east and WDW is fine. 50 miles west and WDW is utterly screwed. Right now its somewhere in between those. Orlando is kind of a dividing line, east of it and you're in a bad place. West of it and things should be OK-ish. That changes drastically if the storm does something silly like drifts farther west, making landfall around Melbourne and drifting NW.

There is no guarantee that all rides, attractions, etc., would be working normally. I would not expect it, no.

Putting myself in your shoes, I would postpone the trip.

TP2000

The American Southeast has been in such a long hurricane drought, for over a decade really. As an old guy, it's fascinating to see all these young people who live in Hurricane Country who have absolutely no plan in place to protect themselves and their family, and then baffled that gas stations and supermarkets are already sold out and empty two days ahead of landfall.

I've never been through a hurricane. I moved to coastal South Carolina in '92 just after Hugo. My entire time in South Carolina I had Sterilite containers in the garage full of bottled water, food, and supplies for a weeks worth of living, rotated out for freshness every June. A car was always kept with at least 3/4 tank of gas with 72 hours of food and water in the trunk. I have a firearm and tools that can protect me for a week or two without a functioning police force. I was always ready, but never needed it.

Now I live in Earthquake Country in SoCal. All the same prep is in place in my garage and the trunk of a high-mileage car that never goes below 3/4 of a tank. With earthquakes we don't get the luxuriously decadent 72 hours notice that East Coasters get with major hurricanes. The Big One will hit SoCal with absolutely no warning and within 90 seconds thousands of Californians will be killed and tens of thousands more will be seriously injured, and life won't return to normal for months or perhaps years. It will likely trigger a national recession by taking the major global capital of Los Angeles entirely offline for 30 to 90 days.

So pardon me if I have absolutely no patience for all these folks living and visiting Florida during hurricane season who are shocked, SHOCKED!, to learn an actual hurricane is headed their way when they have made absolutely no preparations to safeguard themselves, their family and their property. They don't have gas, they don't have groceries, they don't have water, they don't have a plan. It's truly fascinating to watch play out.

I would hope that Walt Disney World management is better prepared for this potential storm and its damage than much of the general populace appears to be. Good luck to all of them.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

The American Southeast has been in such a long hurricane drought, for over a decade really. As an old guy, it's fascinating to see all these young people who live in Hurricane Country who have absolutely no plan in place to protect themselves and their family, and then baffled that gas stations and supermarkets are already sold out and empty two days ahead of landfall.

I've never been through a hurricane. I moved to coastal South Carolina in '92 just after Hugo. My entire time in South Carolina I had Sterilite containers in the garage full of bottled water, food, and supplies for a weeks worth of living, rotated out for freshness every June. A car was always kept with at least 3/4 tank of gas with 72 hours of food and water in the trunk. I have a firearm and tools that can protect me for a week or two without a functioning police force. I was always ready, but never needed it.

Now I live in Earthquake Country in SoCal. All the same prep is in place in my garage and the trunk of a high-mileage car that never goes below 3/4 of a tank. With earthquakes we don't get the luxurious 72 hours notice that East Coasters get with major hurricanes. The Big One will hit SoCal with absolutely no warning and within seconds thousands of Californians will be killed and tens of thousands more will be seriously injured, and life won't return to normal for months or perhaps years. It will likely trigger a national recession by taking a major global capital like Los Angeles entirely offline for 30 to 90 days.

So pardon me if I have absolutely no patience for all these folks living and visiting Florida during hurricane season who are shocked, SHOCKED!, to learn an actual hurricane is headed their way when they have made absolutely no preparations to safeguard themselves, their family and their property. They don't have gas, they don't have groceries, they don't have water, they don't have a plan. It's truly fascinating to watch play out.

I would hope that Walt Disney World management is better prepared for this potential storm and its damage than much of the general populace appears to be. Good luck to all of them.

Apparently the population of Central Fla has grown so that 20% of the current residents did not experience the storms of 04.

People have no idea whats about to hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom