Hurricane Matthew

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My god, people, if you are currently at WDW, stay put! Most of the resorts look like they can survive a major storm. You DO NOT WANT TO BE STUCK ON THE ROADS WHEN THIS THING BLOWS THROUGH! I-4, I-95 and I-75 are major evacuation routes in Florida and most likely both north and southbound lanes will be redirected to facilitate evacuations. So, if you plan on driving to WDW (why?) today or tomorrow, don't.

If you are in a room with a balcony, bring everything on the balcony inside, if you can. Move items away from windows and close the blinds, both sets. Resist the temptation to look out your window or go outside during the storm.

Fill up the bathtub with water to flush your toilets. If you haven't (and I doubt there's any left), go to the food court/gift shop and buy a couple of bottles of water, the biggest you can get.

Always travel with a flashlight and batteries. And charging sticks for your cell phone.

I've lived in Florida 50 years. Been through several hurricanes. The last two I was without power 6-7 days each, most recently Hurricane Hermine. THIS one has me worried...and I'm up in the Florida panhandle hoping it makes an immediate turn eastward and spares Florida's east coast. My niece and her fiance live in Jax, but my brother called them and they are both prepared and will be okay.

I had friends in Miami during Andrew and they showed me videos of the destruction. I went to high school in Miami and didn't recognize streets that I routinely hung out on.

Hope everyone stays safe.

MOXOMUMD

He's in Melbourne. SE of Orlando for those not familiar. Maybe about an hour away.
19vkt2.jpeg
:grumpy:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
The super 8 is now $100 plus. It is normally $50.

It has been reported that UCF and area schools may still be closed Monday and Tuesday of next week due to power outages and utilities.

I went to Kutztown in PA and we obviously are not as prepared for a hurricane as flordia, but a few years back when I was in college we got hit with a hurricane/tropical storm knocked power and water out for days. They ended up sending eveyone who could dive home. Let me tell you being in a dorm with no utilities is nothe a good or healthy situation and we only have a 1/6 of what UCF has, I really hope they are prepared and everyone stays safe

21stamps

My god, people, if you are currently at WDW, stay put! Most of the resorts look like they can survive a major storm. You DO NOT WANT TO BE STUCK ON THE ROADS WHEN THIS THING BLOWS THROUGH! I-4, I-95 and I-75 are major evacuation routes in Florida and most likely both north and southbound lanes will be redirected to facilitate evacuations. So, if you plan on driving to WDW (why?) today or tomorrow, don't.

If you are in a room with a balcony, bring everything on the balcony inside, if you can. Move items away from windows and close the blinds, both sets. Resist the temptation to look out your window or go outside during the storm.

Fill up the bathtub with water to flush your toilets. If you haven't (and I doubt there's any left), go to the food court/gift shop and buy a couple of bottles of water, the biggest you can get.

Always travel with a flashlight and batteries. And charging sticks for your cell phone.

I've lives in Florida 50 years. Been through several hurricanes. The last two I was without power 6-7 days each, most recently Hurricane Hermine. THIS one has me worried...and I'm up in the Florida panhandle hoping it makes an immediate turn eastward and spares Florida's east coast. My niece and her fiance live in Jax, but my brother called them and they are both prepared and will be okay.

I had friends in Miami during Andrew and they showed me videos of the destruction. I went to high school in Miami and didn't recognize streets that I routinely hung out on.

Hope everyone stays safe.

The biggest problem I'm hearing from my people right now is ice. Apparently every store in the area has been out of bags of ice since yesterday. The weather is already bad and they don't want to venture out again. Stinks, but better than being out of bottled water.

Another tip to those on vacay-- buy fruit, if any is left. If you are not in a mandatory evacuation zone- and Orlando is not- then definitely don't leave. It's crazy to consider it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Well, bippity is actually the 7th... There's no way to reschedule that for this trip... The weather reports say delve station like we've never seen.. My husband wants to head to Tennessee... I'm scared of getting caught in traffic. Would I-75 be bad?

Lord, no! Is your husband bat crazy?! Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to stay put. I-75 in Florida will be a major mess. Don't do it.

Nubs70

We land tonight at Tampa and were planning on staying off property for the evening. Does anyone know what the chance would be of us getting an extra night at AKL upon arrival? The stress of moving from our off property hotel (although it's less than a mile from AKL) to AKL is really stressing me out. Thanks!
Chances could be good with some people leaving early and inbound reservations canceling.

DisneyDoug85

Ughhhh this is seriously stressing me out...I'm supposed to fly to Orlando from philly Saturday morning. Can't imagine there are good chances of that happening. Either way, my thoughts are with those people living in the hurricanes path. My vacation is certainly nowhere near as important as those peoples houses/lives etc. let's hope it's not as bad as it seems.

disney4life2008

I went to Kutztown in PA and we obviously are not as prepared for a hurricane as flordia, but a few years back when I was in college we got hit with a hurricane/tropical storm knocked power and water out for days. They ended up sending eveyone who could dive home. Let me tell you being in a dorm with no utilities is nothe a good or healthy situation and we only have a 1/6 of what UCF has, I really hope they are prepared and everyone stays safe

Unfortunately, many of our older residence halls are not hurricane ready. So our freshman students that have not left campus are now moving into campus buildings. They are responsible for bringing their own bedding and food for 3 days. They will be on the floor. This is not good.

hpyhnt 1000

Hah! There's a running joke among some weather watchers up here in Washington that during winter snow storms if Cantore shows up then you know the snow forecast will underwhelm. Go 20 miles in any direction around him and there will be lots of snow there, but not where he is standing! Wonder if it's the same with hurricanes...

To everyone in Florida - best of luck and stay safe! My parents are down in Palm Beach County and they're in final prep mode with finishing the shutters and making one last supply run to top off with anything that's left at the local Publix. I don't think it can be overemphasized that we are talking about a Category 4 storm sideswiping just about the entire east coast of the state. That's millions of people affected with severe damage for hundreds of miles potentially. No doubt Florida knows what it needs to do and gets through these things as well as can be expected, but given the scale of this, officials and residents are still likely to be overwhelmed for the first days of the recovery process.

And honestly, if you're at WDW right now, just stay put. You are in one of the safest and most prepared places you can be in Florida right now. Listen to the CMs and personnel there, don't take unnecessary risks outside, and you'll be fine.

disney4life2008

Ughhhh this is seriously stressing me out...I'm supposed to fly to Orlando from philly Saturday morning. Can't imagine there are good chances of that happening. Either way, my thoughts are with those people living in the hurricanes path. My vacation is certainly nowhere near as important as those peoples houses/lives etc. let's hope it's not as bad as it seems.

The hurricane will be gone from this area by Saturday morning. I would expect widespread airline delays on Saturday though. You will get here it just may not be on time.

MOXOMUMD

Well, bippity is actually the 7th... There's no way to reschedule that for this trip... The weather reports say delve station like we've never seen.. My husband wants to head to Tennessee... I'm scared of getting caught in traffic. Would I-75 be bad?
You have four children. Not to be rude but are you really willing to put them through that?

rct247

I am extremely surprised we haven't heard about reduced hours today or tomorrow for the parks yet. Especially since local news is telling everyone to be in place by 5pm. The parks are open past that. 50 to 100mph winds tonight into Friday would not make it easy for them to open the parks.

21stamps

I'm going to share a few text messages that I've been exchanging with 2 of my SoFla peeps.. This is the first hurricane that I am not in Florida for.. And I'm freaking out more than they are.

Anyway, 1 lives on a barrier island, in a mandatory evac zone, and still has not left. Several have gone to hotels.. And 1 lives east of 95 but west of US 1 so not mandatory evac.
They are in Palm Beach County. Just thought this is kind of funny the comparison of locals and tourist attitudes towards a storm..lol.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The other one is a little more anxious..
image.jpeg

LAKid53

Premium Member
Apparently the population of Central Fla has grown so that 20% of the current residents did not experience the storms of 04.

People have no idea whats about to hit.

The population in the entire state fits that scenario. Every year, the state, at the start of Hurricane season, tells residents to be prepared. Used to have a hurricane supplies tax free period. The local paper provides a hurricane guide at the beginning of the season. But it falls on deaf ears...most people hear blah, blah, blah...because we've not had a strike since Wilma in 2005. Well, no more. After 6 days without power due to Hermine, I'm seriously considering installing a whole house generator. And if this storm makes a funky turn and ends up in the Gulf, my butt is going to Lowe's to get a portable one that can at least run my frig and a couple of lights.

Agree with @TP2000. Grew up in LA, move to FL during high school and have lived here since then. Why people who live in parts of the country that can be affected by major weather systems or other disasters aren't prepared is puzzling. When we built our house in Miami, my parents dedicated a section of the pantry to hurricane supplies...canned food/beverages, paper plates, plastic utensils & cups, extra batteries, sterno, fuel/wicks for the camp lanterns, wood for the fireplace (yeah, we had a fireplace in Miami and used it), etc. If there was a hint of a storm heading to Florida, my dad tested the lanterns to make sure they were working. Both cars got gassed up. And he spent a good part of the day putting up the hurricane shutters. The 7 years we lived in Miami, only one hurricane brushed by...and we lost power for a day. But he did this every year. I guess growing up in Colorado and living through those winters made both my parents aware of how nasty Mother Nature can be. And want to be prepared.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm going to share a few text messages that I've been exchanging with 2 of my SoFla peeps.. This is the first hurricane that I am not in Florida for.. And I'm freaking out more than they are.

Anyway, 1 lives on a barrier island, in a mandatory evac zone, and still has not left. Several have gone to hotels.. And 1 lives east of 95 but west of US 1 so not mandatory evac.
They are in Palm Beach County. Just thought this is kind of funny the comparison of locals and tourist attitudes towards a storm..lol. View attachment 167206 View attachment 167209

The other one is a little more anxious..View attachment 167207

WTH? He/she's worried about the shoe order?

People died during Andrew. People died during Hermine and that was barely a hurricane at landfall.

I pray your friends are safe.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am extremely surprised we haven't heard about reduced hours today or tomorrow for the parks yet. Especially since local news is telling everyone to be in place by 5pm. The parks are open past that. 50 to 100mph winds tonight into Friday would not make it easy for them to open the parks.
Same here. I think we'll see something later today on early closures.

21stamps

WTH? He/she's worried about the shoe order?

People died during Andrew. People died during Hermine and that was barely a hurricane at landfall.

I pray your friends are safe.
We were in Andrew, teenagers then. We were in Wilma...and everything in between.
I didn't evacuate from a mandatory zone during Wilma. But I learned my lesson and would this time!! Her husband is working today...but I'm sure he'll leave early. People there get a false sense of security in our shiny new buildings.

rodserling27

I was originally flying down Friday morning but my flight got cancelled and I rescheduled it for Sunday afternoon. Do you think everything will be alright by then? Will everything in the parks be in working order or is it not even worth the trip down?
I think you will be fine Sunday afternoon. Hurricane should be long gone by then, and MCO will likely have worked out everything, at least I would hope they would.

Yep, I'm coming from Philly Saturday night (changed from Friday night). I think you may be OK, it all depends on what condition MCO is in by then, ya know? And if the storm doesn't move erratically from its current path.

The hurricane will be gone from this area by Saturday morning. I would expect widespread airline delays on Saturday though. You will get here it just may not be on time.
This is what I am thinking too. I'm not counting on getting in on time Saturday night, but I am thinking it will still happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom