Hurricane Matthew

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can imagine there will be far more bad stories than good. Not many places can take 10+ inches of rain in a couple days without severe flooding.
Quite true. Our rain gauge total for just Matthew was just a little over 12". When we include the rain we have gotten since Monday, we are a little over 20" and our wet retention ponds are just under the overflow valves that lead to the dry ponds.

I honestly think that if my neighborhood was to flood, there would be an old guy building a big boat nearby.;)

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Premium Member
I was able to get out an survey the damage this morning.

The worst thing we have is I lost about half a dozen shingles. We never lost power save for about a dozen 2-3 second lapses that our battery backups handled.

Everything else can be solved by picking up a few small branches and mowing the lawn.

A few of my neighbors lost larger sections of shingles, some sofit and fence panels. It looks like we have one decent size tree down in the subdivision behind us.

All in all, not too bad. It could have been much, much worse.

Launched the drone yet?

Goofyernmost

Quite true. Our rain gauge total for just Matthew was just a little over 12". When we include the rain we have gotten since Monday, we are a little over 20" and our wet retention ponds are just under the overflow valves that lead to the dry ponds.

I honestly think that if my neighborhood was to flood, there would be an old guy building a big boat nearby.;)
Don't tell me, let me guess... he'd be measuring everything it cubits. Am I right?

JohnD

Original Poster
We were lucky. We live in a relatively newer neighborhood with solid electric service and great drainage.

Many were not so fortunate. There was widespread flooding in the areas of town and power is just getting turned back on in a lot of areas.

My parents weathered the storm okay. They never lost power. My brother and his family on the other side of Roosevelt Blvd. lost power since 10:30 am Thursday. Not sure if their power is back on.

21stamps

Has there been any news about how many cars were flooded? I had seen a few photos, but most with one car in the pic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Has there been any news about how many cars were flooded? I had seen a few photos, but most with one car in the pic.
No numbers that I have heard, but there will be a fair amount judging on pictures that have been floating around.

St Augustine flooded pretty bad and I am sure we will some from there.

They just opened the bridges to Jacksonville Beach a few minutes ago so it will be a little while before we get images from there.

21stamps

No numbers that I have heard, but there will be a fair amount judging on pictures that have been floating around.

St Augustine flooded pretty bad and I am sure we will some from there.

They just opened the bridges to Jacksonville Beach a few minutes ago so it will be a little while before we get images from there.
I wonder if insurance companies get flooded with calls from liability only people to get full coverage before a storm...or the full coverage people trying to add GAP insurance.
It's very sad when you have hundreds of people who's cars get totaled out after a flood.

I personally know people who have intentionally parked their leased car by a tree before a storm. It's crazy, but there are people who do that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder if insurance companies get flooded with calls from liability only people to get full coverage before a storm...or the full coverage people trying to add GAP insurance.
I am sure they do, but they also have cut off dates as to when they can be added.

I would expect each company to be a little different but for most, coverage will not go into effect for 30 days after purchase and many will not even sell it to you once you are in the projected path of a storm.

MotherOfBirds

We spent most of the day faffing about in our old Disney ponchos and windsurfing the gusts on skateboards. With a beer in hand , I felt like a salty old sea captain.

It wasn't until most of Matt's shenanigans were over that we lost power. Tampa seems to be housing all of Orlando's golfers at the moment.

21stamps

I saw on social media that the storm caused the LSU/Florida game to get cancelled days in advance yet the sun is shining away in southern Florida, meanwhile the Notre Dame/NC State game is in the middle of a monsoon :confused:
Social media is going absolutely crazy over this.
But-Don't lump Gainesville with SoFla!! They aren't southerners!! ;)

Meanwhile in Southern Florida.. A better game will be played tonight :)

21stamps

NBC can't let a Notre Dame contract go to waste.
Lol true.

Regarding the Gator game though, I do think it was a mistake. I understand why it was done..but they maybe should have held off a few days before cancelling. I am in complete agreement that it should not have been moved to LSU. That would have been unfair.

PhotoDave219

I saw on social media that the storm caused the LSU/Florida game to get cancelled days in advance yet the sun is shining away in southern Florida, meanwhile the Notre Dame/NC State game is in the middle of a monsoon :confused:

Yes because if the storm swings 30 miles to the west, you cant get to Gainesville thru all the chaos.

Better to have the good fortune to kvetch about it than being in the direct impact of a natural disaster.

JohnD

Original Poster
Lol true.

Regarding the Gator game though, I do think it was a mistake. I understand why it was done..but they maybe should have held off a few days before cancelling. I am in complete agreement that it should not have been moved to LSU. That would have been unfair.

IDK. It would have been keeping fans east of I-75 or encouraging fans to drive toward or through the hurricane rather than get away from it. The UF-Miami game could still be played because of the track of the hurricane going south to north. Matthew only left the Jacksonville area late yesterday. I agree with canceling that game. And I'm not saying this as an FSU fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom