Hurricane Matthew

JohnD

Original Poster
NHC now show Matthew blowing out to sea and not looping around back toward southern Florida. (See first page).

21stamps

It wasn't clear, did they penalize Miami for the fans littering the field? Because that is a penalty. I'm just thankful none of our players got hit by any of the stuff the students were throwing. I wish one of the few cops there had seen the kid encouraging those around him to throw stuff onto the field. I know @21stamps thinks FSU fans are bad, but viewers just saw what those of us who have watched and/or attended that game for years have known about Miami fans. Not classy to litter your own field when you disagree with a call. Puts them at the same level as UF fans.

I won't defend what they did. Cane fan or not. Horrible display.

21stamps

I have several. Meg Crofton is an FSU alum and whenever she was on campus for an alumni event, a lot of us would wear it.

@21stamps has been strangely quiet. Him, wonder why? Nice to see one of those kicks go our way for a change. But that was a nail bitting final 3 minutes. I think I aged 10 years. :D
I was in a text war with my FSU friends lol

21stamps

You saying Hogtown aren't Sotherners?! My god, they are the ipitomy of Southerners....

BTW, Hogtown was the original name of Gainesville, named for the Hog River. Aptly named, quite frankly. And I'm not saying that because I'm a Nole, saying that because I've been there several times.....
Oh I agree in regards to the people, all of north central Florida is..they are way more "southern" than anyone in SoFla..with the exception of maybe Davie..maybe..not even though..lol. I was just talking about geographically.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh I agree in regards to the people, all of north central Florida is..they are way more "southern" than anyone in SoFla..with the exception of maybe Davie..maybe..not even though..lol. I was just talking about geographically.

Only been to Davie once. Always thought South Florida was NY transplanted, well at least for the winter...it was when we lived in Miami....

First time I traveled to Miami for business after being away for decades, I couldn't believe the change in demographics.

21stamps

Only been to Davie once. Always thought South Florida was NY transplanted, well at least for the winter...it was when we lived in Miami....

First time I traveled to Miami for business after being away for decades, I couldn't believe the change in demographics.

I'm from Boca Raton. If all of the Long Island people living in Boca tried to return to Long Island-- well, there wouldn't be any room for them.lol

Florida is such an amusing state culturally. I think all of the east coasters just decide to drive down 95, all the way to the end skipping over everything else that they pass in Florida. And the west coasters all come from the Midwest down '75. The demographics are just so different.

Ocala, Gainesville, etc.. I have no idea where they come from.. Their accents and their lives are just so completely opposite.. I think it's what makes Florida so great.. You can go to any geographical part and feel like you're on a different state.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm from Boca Raton. If all of the Long Island people living in Boca tried to return to Long Island-- well, there wouldn't be any room for them.lol

Florida is such an amusing state culturally. I think all of the east coasters just decide to drive down 95, all the way to the end skipping over everything else that they pass in Florida. And the west coasters all come from the Midwest down '75. The demographics are just so different.

Ocala, Gainesville, etc.. I have no idea where they come from.. Their accents and their lives are just so completely opposite.. I think it's what makes Florida so great.. You can go to any geographical part and feel like you're on a different state.

Florida is really two different states. North of Orlando is the true South. Orlando and south, it's that mix you mentioned. Everytime I drive to Orlando or south, I feel like I'm in another state and it's not the sleepy South. I grew up in LA, so I know big cities. Guess I've lived in Tally too long, lol.

shipley731

I'm originally from Jacksonville & moved to Gainesville for school. After I got my degree, I just never left. (Been here since 1989.) Outside of the college students, Gainesville's population is mostly from this area. We get some transplants, but that's mostly folks moving here to take positions with the University. I get the impression that Ocala folks are mostly from that area general area as well. Folks that are looking to retire don't seem to be drawn to Gainesville or Ocala from what I can tell. Go a little further south to the hell that is "The Villages", it's retiree city. It's like Disneyland for old folks that like to drive golf carts everywhere.

Pixie VaVoom

Feel free to drag me in. List of Disney resorts in which I've stayed:
Camping at FW - more times than I can count
All Star Sports - Once
Pop Century - Twice
Caribbean Beach - Three times
Coronado Springs - Twice
PO-R - Twice
PO-FQ - Six times
SSR - Once
AKL - Once
Yacht Club - Twice
Boardwalk - Twice
Contemporary - Twice
BLT - Once
Polynesian - Once
Vero Beach - Once
GCR - Once
So where exactly do I fit on the "Snob Scale"? I've run the entire gamut of resort tiers. Am I a slob or a snob?

sooo, does that make you a 'slobby snob'?? Just kidding really - i couldn't resist.

BTW - I LOVE you avatar costume !!

Pixie VaVoom

Yeah, um ok... I don't even know why I'm responding but here I go, point by point-

4. Yes, people can be happy, grateful, and sad for others all at the same time. It isn't a difficult thing to do. Shouldn't be anyway...

My unsolicited opinion...of course you can feel all those at the same time. I view the emotional self as a cut gemstone, you can have all those facets simultaneously, they just move to the forefront in different times.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Anyone know anything about Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort or Vero Beach Resort? I know that Hilton Head is getting pounded and flooded a great deal right now. According to Disney's website, the resort is closed.
View attachment 167808

I have been there, and it is a beautiful resort, but I remember it had a swamp in the background of it, and it was on an interior section of the island (along an interior waterway and swamp). I assume that the whole island was evacuated, but I am not sure. I know that it is currently being pummeled, as it its neighbor, Parris Island (Marine Corps base). I think that this area overall is getting hit a lot worse than Florida was. Any reports from anyone there?

I have never been to Vero Beach, Disney's Vero Beach Resort is showing closed also, but to reopen Monday.
View attachment 167809

I'm am curious how Hilton Head and Vero did as well. I bet Hilton Head took the worst beating (or flooded) - anyone know?

Pixie VaVoom

"Security, food & beverage, transportation, guest relations, etc, etc. is a huge part of the staffing as well.

No sense to open "part of a park", since there are just the five attractions you stated at The Studios ... Those five now pretty much encompass the entire park that is open to guests. So they would be opening the entire park in theory.[/QUOTE]

The logistical thing that I would anticipate as a NIGHTMARE if they opened only ONE Park is this: you have absolute multitudes of guests involved in the hurricane scenario, who hold multiday passes for admission to any of the multiple parks. HOW do you choose which guests actually get admitted to the one open park?? "First come, first served" would cause a free-for-all stampede!! and any other means of determining entry would create hard feeling and possibly riots!!

Minthorne

So are they still offering the $13 hurricane rations or have they gone the way of the Maelstrom?

Yes but as of today you have to make ADR's to pick them up and if you don't pick them up it's $10 per box no show. If you do pick them up you are required to eat them in a darkened room with a flashlight. Cast members with be on-hand to make wind and rain noises. Only available at All-Star resorts.

Beacon Joe

I'm am curious how Hilton Head and Vero did as well. I bet Hilton Head took the worst beating (or flooded) - anyone know?

Not HHI DVC specific, but here's a look at the damage on Hilton Head. A lot of dock and boat damage:

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/weather/hurricane/article107244162.html#storylink=cpy

On a DVC forum, somebody posted pictures of the HHI Beach House which looked to be in good shape, and reported that the Shelter Cove area was spared much of the punishment.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No... apparently they were not supposed to be charging for them after all, like we thought. Word has it that was supposed to be the write-down value.

Yet will those charges be refunded?... I think not as some beancounter figured out that they could CHARGE for those 'hurricane boxes' and profit instead of taking a write down. Every time I think Disney has hit bottom on grubbing for bucks they demonstrate that is not the case.

And it's really hard to see how they got to a 12.99 value for the writedown as there is perhaps 2 dollars MAX food cost in that package perhaps $1.25 in labor and distribution

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom