Hurricane Matthew

Siren

I have just made contact with most of my family and friends in the Bahamas. My family has developed and owns lots of properties in the Bahamas, and those homes are hurricane proof and built super strong. I spent like almost every summer and holiday in Lyford Cay and Paradise Island with my grandparents growing up. Anyway, everyone was strongly advised to evacuate Lyford Cay, so they just moved to another vacant property further inland.

They don't have any power right now but they are on a generator and using Magic Jack to communicate by phone -- everything there is fine and so far only a huge pine tree and coconut tree was blown over. And, everyone on Paradise Island is fine, too.

I have not made contact with anyone on the Abacos Islands, as yet. So, I pray that everyone there and on the outer islands and cays are safe.

I have also made contact with my family and friends in Coconut Grove, Jupiter, and Ft. Lauderdale and in parts of Miami and none of them have chosen to evacuate. They all have chosen to stay and are going to ride out this storm.

I pray that everyone remains safe and that the hurricane weakens and blows over quickly.

GrumpyFan

? if anyone knows. Previous hurricanes to hit WDW what has been the strongest?
Not sure about Orlando, but Andrew in 1992 hit South Florida as a Cat 5 causing $26.5 billion in damages, no deaths recorded.
Charley in 2004 hit as a Cat 4, causing $15.1 billion in damages, 8 deaths.

Last edited:

Clamman73

About to get out of MCO
IMG_2160.JPG

MOXOMUMD

We were moved to All Star Music. I'm trying not to be a brat about it but I HATE it. I even tried to upgrade to a deluxe and pay the difference but they said they had nothing available.
They said on the news a lot of people evacuating were going to the resorts to get rooms so I don't doubt there isn't a vacancy.

TalkingHead

My thought is this. Unlike a grocery store or similar, those can shut down with no issue. But where guests are, you need staff. So they may be working other parts of the resort. When you work in the tourism industry, that is one of the creeds. The guests are first priority. Look at the work of Rosen. Im sure many of my ucf rosen students would confirm.

Yeah, some CMs will be on property during the storm; many of them will be management. A lot of CMs won't be "staffing" the hotels and parks, however. In either case, it's bad form not to announce an impending closure until the last possible minute or adjust the shift hours without making allowances for your employees.

rickdrat

? if anyone knows. Previous hurricanes to hit WDW what has been the strongest?
In recent years, I would think Charley in '04. It came ashore near Fort Meyers, I think, as a Cat 4. The center passed through the Orlando area but it had weakened to a low end Cat 1 at that point.

jbradway

Our family was staying at the Wilderness Lodge during Charley. The parks were closed about half of one day. Most everything was open by the next day. A lot of downed trees but mostly the parks were functioning ok. When we went offsite into Orlando we saw much more damage. During the storm, Disney instructed us to stay in our room and pull the patio furniture inside. It was very interesting to go through for a California family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom