Hurricane Matthew

DisneyDoug85

This is a twofold answer as a former pilot for United what will happen is the following.

Since you are flying into and not out of you have a much greater chance of getting in on time to Orlando pending the airport is open.

What airlines do is they will position aircraft and crews around the system to get planes into the airport as soon as operations can continue. This will help the folks get out, in your case since you are flying in and your 1st aircraft is coming in from California at that flight terminates in Orlando it will continue to Orlando as they need that place for the outbound flight.

Now for passengers who are on cancelled flights airlines will begin to book passengers on flights with open seats on the next available flight. If say the flight you are on is full they will book them on the next. What airlines will also do is do an equipment swap for larger equipment to add more passengers. For instance United was running Flight 725 from Orlando to Chicago has been either a A320 or a 738, the past two days it was upgraded to a 753 (757-300) this adds another 60-70 seats, they also did this for the next flight so between the two they added another 120 seats.

The key for you is as long as MCO is open you will get in (make sure you check in 24 hours before your flight). For those trying to get out good luck it’s going to take a couple of days.

Thank you so much!!! This helped a great deal! Now to just sit back and hope for the best!

MOXOMUMD

To be clear... as this is flying fast and furious...

If you are a current guest at a WDW resort? You're fine as far as your physical safety is concerned. You're in the best place you can be in the area. Those hotels are built to withstand these kind of winds. Worry about your family and keeping the kids entertained in the room. Its gonna be okay, really. Just stay put and do what the Cast says.
What PhotoDave said! At a resort you're going to be.......

aba8f48eaa21e6a520e92ee596361534.jpeg
But seriously, stay informed.

PhilharMagician

Now through storm.is due.to.flying debris and possibility of you and.your campsite going airborne. Days after storm is to clean up.debris.that has flown.

Yeah, I understand that, but what happens to all the RV's and tow behind campers?

I'd almost rather have my light weight tow behind camper sitting within the trees @ Ft Wilderness rather that have to park it in an open parking lot @ one of the other resorts.

Just sounds like an absolute mess to move everyone out.
The opening is not all that large and can be closed off if I am not mistaken.

Don't they park the monorail trains in the CR with the nose just sticking out which would help block and horizontal rain and most wind.

I

DisneyDoug85

A whole lot depends. I think I read your post as the plane is going from LAX(SFO/Whatever)->PHL->MCO, and you are boarding in PHL. Any delays/cancellations at that point could depend on weather between PHL/MCO, if there is a backup at MCO due to prior weather, etc. If you have a crew change in PHL, if the crew is delayed for some reason, or needs to be replaced due to delays leaving Cali.

Usually airlines won't cascade bumps/cancellations. IE your flight won't be cancelled just so they can fly out people whose flight was cancelled on Friday. But any open seats, etc will be given to those people previously bumped. Hence the mad rush to change flights, first people to call to change/get in line are first people rescheduled out. They may add flights to get equipment/crews back to MCO since it sounds like airlines are moving everything out of MCO to other airports.

Key for you will be is MCO opens on time when they anticipate or not. If MCO isn't open, then you are obviously going to be delayed/cancelled. And unfortunately if that happens alot of the available seats for the short term will already be allocated to the people who were cancelled on Thurs/Fri.

Thank you! Yes I'm hoping to be lucky enough to have minimal impact on my flight time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get canceled, as you mentioned, by that time getting a flight out will be very difficult

PhilharMagician

Oh, that's a bummer that everything is closing.

Can't be fun when you are staying in value and moderate resorts and have to go outside and walk to get meals, let alone trying to stay entertained for a day and a half with kids.

Good luck to all that are in WDW

Eddie Garrison

I just text some CM friends and they were told to come in as usual today. Nothing from Disney them selves to the CM's I know for anything further than today right now.

They work at The Boardwalk, Studios & EPCOT. I'm sure that will change very soon. Heading to the Studios soon here to grab a buddies car. They live in an area that floods easily with just heavy Florida storms. Keeping their car in our parking garage near our condo for them.

Anyone in this area and along the coast ... Get ready & be safe. Thanks to all the people here on WDW Magic for the well wishes as well.

disney4life2008

Oh, that's a bummer that everything is closing.

Can't be fun when you are staying in value and moderate resorts and have to go outside and walk to get meals, let alone trying to stay entertained for a day and a half with kids.

Good luck to all that are in WDW

Honestly, i would love to be at all star sports. Just being in the Disney environment would comfort me. I probably would order several pizzas and get plenty of food from the food court . And wait it out in my room.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Do they typically extend hours the day or tow after they close the parks so that guests and try to cram as much WDW time as possible since their trip was cut short?

21stamps

Cast who were working Mickey's Not So Scary tonight are still being told to come in which I find odd
Total guess here.. But unless something changed very recently Matthew isn't supposed to hit South Florida until tonight, so maybe that's why.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom