Hurricane Irma

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sadly no one (and by no one, i don't mean this board, just the media/US Gov) seems to be concerned with the Virgin Islands. ALL of those islands are practically leveled, resorts gone, homes gone. Tourism is their #1 industry, and it will take years to get things back to a normal state.

2017-09-11_9-33-49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Not just the Virgin Islands either, Sint Maarten has had many of its buildings destroyed. The Caribbean as a whole has been devastated. Although I can understand why people are concentrating on Central Florida - after all, this is a Disney forum where people are talking about Disney. Doesn't mean people can't also think about elsewhere... Just this is the focus for this forum 365 days a year.
Thats why I mentioned not the people on this board, I get that, just in general not here.

21stamps

Stamps, have you heard from any of your KW peeps yet?

I have heard from the ones who evacuated to Tampa and Orlando...they're stuck indefinitely. No one has heard from anyone in Key Haven yet, apparently that area has a ton of damage and flooding.. all communications appear to be down.

I've also talked to everyone in PBC/Broward/Dade. Some areas are definitely worse off than other. A lot of people are staying at hotels until power resumes and debris is cleared.

One friend's house in Weston appears to have had less damage than most, and they have a hefty generator. The sun came out and the winds died down for the first time in two days and they could actually check the surroundings. (They raise chickens and built a sturdy home for them) But they haven't ventured beyond their neighborhood yet. Everyone's attitudes are very positive. They got hit hard, but are all grateful that it wasn't worse.
The ones from the Keys are just scared to find out the extent of the damage.

IMG_4262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PrincessNelly_NJ

Sadly no one (and by no one, i don't mean this board, just the media/US Gov) seems to be concerned with the Virgin Islands. ALL of those islands are practically leveled, resorts gone, homes gone. Tourism is their #1 industry, and it will take years to get things back to a normal state.

We have a friend that lives in the USVI, she lost her front porch and damage to both of their vehicles but the house largely was okay other than some broken windows. Thank god. Unfortunately most of their neighbors weren't so lucky. They had to evacuate... she has a 2 year old and 5 weeks old in tow... just sad.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

How awful. We visited Tortula during our cruise earlier this year. So sad to see all the damage.

Raineman

Not just the Virgin Islands either, Sint Maarten has had many of its buildings destroyed. The Caribbean as a whole has been devastated. Although I can understand why people are concentrating on Central Florida - after all, this is a Disney forum where people are talking about Disney. Doesn't mean people can't also think about elsewhere... Just this is the focus for this forum 365 days a year.
I have visited Cayo Coco in Cuba twice to spend a week at an all-inclusive resort. The airport in Cayo Coco has been ripped apart,as well as most of the resorts there. Rips my heart out a bit to see the photos, as all of the Cuban people I had met there were so friendly and welcoming.

disney4life2008

Im in Atlanta, and I guess I am not concerned. I'm at work, like most here. We will have downed trees and power loss but in the big scheme of things, its not really a huge deal to me.

Idk. Being from Chicago I have experienced 50 degrees below zero, winds, blizzard, and snow covered where you have to shovel to get out the door. And guess what? We still have to go to work lol.

Not to say hurricanes are any less easy. But the way things are done down here are different. In Chicago, life goes on. This was my first hurricane though but i think being from Chicago makes me strong.

Fable McCloud

How's Animal Kingdom looking? I hope it isn't a disaster. I would feel so bad if all the stuff they just planted for Pandora got massacred. I also hope that the winds didn't mess up the animals habitats too badly, poor things.

Jordanaous

Thats why I mentioned not the people on this board, I get that, just in general not here.

My apologies! We've received quite a few news updates in the UK regarding the British Virgin Islands, but I imagine it's because things are still developing in regards to Irma. The news cycle keeps moving onto wherever it hits next.

I imagine at the end of the storm we'll get a good idea about everywhere, although the US media orgs will always concentrate on the US - it's what brings in the viewers.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
How awful. We visited Tortula during our cruise earlier this year. So sad to see all the damage.
It really is so sad.. Me and my DW honeymooned at the Westin in St. John, and from what I have been told 90% of that property is gone or damaged. Even more tragic is that my Sister-In-Law lost her house on St. John and is 100% displaced and can't even get a flight out to the mainland.

rocketraccoon

Any word on how Hollywood Studios looks?

How's Animal Kingdom looking? I hope it isn't a disaster. I would feel so bad if all the stuff they just planted for Pandora got massacred. I also hope that the winds didn't mess up the animals habitats too badly, poor things.
Animals should be fine. I imagine AK will be the last to open due to cleaning up debris and getting outdoor rides back online.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have heard from the ones who evacuated to Tampa and Orlando...they're stuck indefinitely. No one has heard from anyone in Key Haven yet, apparently that area has a ton of damage and flooding.. all communications appear to be down.

I've also talked to everyone in PBC/Broward/Dade. Some areas are definitely worse off than other. A lot of people are staying at hotels until power resumes and debris is cleared.

One friend's house in Weston appears to have had less damage than most, and they have a hefty generator. The sun came out and the winds died down for the first time in two days and they could actually check the surroundings. (They raise chickens and built a sturdy home for them) But they haven't ventured beyond their neighborhood yet. Everyone's attitudes are very positive. They got hit hard, but are all grateful that it wasn't worse.
The ones from the Keys are just scared to find out the extent of the damage.

View attachment 228422

Glad to hear most are ok. Praying your KW friends have something to go home to.

smp2k6

Anyone know who serves power at Flamingo Crossing's... intersection of Western Way and 429? Is it Duke or FPL? We have no power here at the new Marriott's. Just curious so I can monitor on their respective websites. Hope everyone in the area stayed safe and secure last night. I'm ok with no power. Just thankful wife and I are ok and have a place to stay.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It really is so sad.. Me and my DW honeymooned at the Westin in St. John, and from what I have been told 90% of that property is gone or damaged. Even more tragic is that my Sister-In-Law lost her house on St. John and is 100% displaced and can't even get a flight out to the mainland.

:(

kpilcher

Update on this. JetBlue are anticipating that the airport may be able to reopen as soon as THIS EVENING!
Very optimistic of them, but for now MCO are asking people to stay away from the airport as there has been some wind damage...

Very optimistic, indeed.
From GOAA (Greater Orlando Aviation Authority)
"As of 8:30 a.m. 11 September 2017

Orlando International Airport (MCO) is NOT operational.

Please notify your viewers/ listeners/ readers that they SHOULD NOT COME TO THE AIRPORT until we notify the media that the airport is resuming operations. Continued gusty winds are delaying damage assessment teams from beginning the recovery process."

Spokesperson tells us an opening today is not exactly impossible, but really unlikely.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
@andysol,

Thanks for risking arrest to take the photos and video.

I, however, would have had a hard time resisting the urge to dash into the park and snap a selfie of me standing in front of the Castle in a completely empty MK.

"But, Officer, my name is Bob Iger. I'm just checking out our property. I have an apartment in that tall building over there with the pointy blue roofs. "

"My MagicBand wouldn't work, but the gate was open, so..." :D

I, for one, was SO hoping he casually strolled thru that open gate and got a peek of Main Street... I know I would have been tempted!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom