Hurricane Irma

Minthorne

Lordie! We still have power at the Wilderness Lodge but we did find a new flashlight in our rooms yesterday

I was in Disney At OKW for Hurricane Erin in 1995 and this lovely fellow was left in my room. It became a souvenir. Here it is 22 years later - well loved.
image.jpg

MySmallWorldof4

My brother-in-law just received word that his home on Marco Island has been destroyed. Other major damage on the island. He is now in Michigan but has contacts in Florida.
Sorry to read that. Good thing he was not there. Hopefully it will not take a long time to rebuild.
We are at Wilderness and starting last night we've had the Country Bears and Brer. I saw a post on Kenny's website of what was happening at Riverside with Characters etc. My feeling is with both food and entertainment Disney took a big learning curve from Mathew last year and worked out many kinks. Here there were games for kids and CMs running them, free arcades I believe at all resorts and it seems the Recreation hosts for every resort brainstormed and had on hand giant sized active toys like Jenga, Toss Across, Connect Four. They played Disney Bingo and had small prizes for all. They opened up the pools until lpm when the lifeguards were soaked by then. I'm on the 5th floor of the atrium. They are still working/playing with the kids. I have not seen a movie here but there is an hour by hour list of activities. Since there is an Activity Rec Director at every resort I'm thinking they are all on the same page this Hurricane. I'm not seeing the horrid tweets like I did for Mathew. Only pleasantly happy ones. Disney also allowed those fleeing the Hurricane and landing here to bring their dogs to stay with them in the resorts. While I have not budged too frequently from my comfy chair in our Family Cove in the atrium guests are not cranky yet and the food is cheap and awesome. Artist Point is a 3 meal a day buffet, $12 lunch and breakfast (with awesome choices) $15 for dinner tonight with beverage included. Can barely get a Hotdog meal for that in the MK.

100% of our resort life guard and pool attendant staff is here for the duration to entertain kids and families. The CPs are being paid double time for their hurricane duty of staying for the duration. Nice Touch Disney!
DJYMZZCXoAATzAV.jpg

DJYL0miWAAEeh3l.jpg

And they held a Halloween Party at 3-5pm given the party was cancelled tonight.
Sounds like Disney brought back "good show". Love hearing this. Thanks for the update! Hope you have a restful night.

Ismael Flores

I confused. They are now saying Orlando will see the worst between now and 11pm. By sunrise Monday all will be clear. I thought the hurricane was happening here between 2am and 6am?
This hurricane has been very unpredictable. If it hadn't stalled in Cuba, going in and out and lasting 24 hours the storm would have hit a he east coast at a category 4.
That stall forced it to move west at the last minute and stay a category 3.
Even then the projection had it hitting key west then heading over waters along the western coast and hit land twice including Tampa. That changed when it hit key west and swung east and hit land further south and now has been staying in land and winds decreasing down to a cat 2.
Western Florida although hit hard has been spared even a worse situation. Imagine we are seeing sustained winds at 115 with gust at 150 and all the damage it has done. Compare that to the carribean that got hit with sustained winds of 186 with gusts over 220 miles.
I'm really amazed that the death toll was not higher in those islands where people had no where to escape

Ismael Flores

Seminole county here. The rain just won't quit. Its been almost constant downpours since noon. Not good given we have a brook in our backyard that is now overflowing. Winds have generally been very kind, but the gusts are picking up.
Stay safe and be ready to move to higher ground. Keep us updated of your well being

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
IMG_7373.JPG

FYI - I just ate one of our ham sandwiches.
Fresh, lovely kaiser; three thin slices of ham; a slice of cheddar (not Swiss); and some Caesar dressing we had left over from a chicken wrap yesterday.
It was very flavourful. Mike had already eaten the two cookies and packet of chips earlier.

The rest of the meal consists of an apple and a small bottle of water.

Six bucks! Zero complaints.

As others have mentioned, things are definitely starting to get interesting. Calling for a lockdown at 7:00 looks to have been spot on. Our door is rattling a bit, but the drapes are lying completely flat. We've placed a towel on the floor in front of the door, just in case; as that is the way the wind is blowing.

Hydro is still on. Satellite tv is spotty, but digital channels are fine. Wifi is still good too.

Stay safe everyone.

JimW

Premium Member
In St Pete. Things are definitely starting to ramp up here. Winds are in the 40s, with gusts above 60. Power has flickered a few times; I don't expect it to last much longer. Sustained winds are expected to be above 80 mph by 9:00 PM. I hope everyone remains safe - this is no fun!

rocketraccoon

Water is actually starting to run out in the southern Atlanta, GA area. Current forecast for the area is a good amount of rain and wind tomorrow into early Tuesday morning, but nothing close to what Florida has seen/is seeing. The nearby Kroger had plenty of water in gallons and cases yesterday afternoon, and by noon today all that was gone. Eesh.

Pretty sure my university in DeLand, FL is without power or internet at this point. The daily updates they've been giving out at noonish each day has stopped and they aren't updating social media. Here's hoping something comes tomorrow.

Managed to get a Flight of Passage Fastpass for Friday at a reasonable time, so I guess that's cool.

psherman42

It's really crazy how different the local news reports are compared to The Weather Channel. WFTV is saying the eyewall is going to pass over Lake/Polk/Orange County in the next six hours and getting winds close to 90 mph, whereas TWC still has Lake Buena Vista at 50-70 mph. Unless the local news is reporting gusts? I know nothing about hurricanes.

I'm worried about my apartment/car, but I'm glad I flew home for this.

andysol

Decent view at California grill tonight. Windows are pretty fogged and observation deck is closed, obviously.
They have a handful of lights on but not much. Just took this maybe 30 mins ago:
IMG_4126.jpg

All restaurants are open here at the contemporary still. All menus are limited. The Wave had 4 entrees available, for example.
Here is the menu tonight at cali grill
IMG_4127.jpg

As for the staff volunteering to work- They seem to think it's a pretty nice gig. The server said they get their normal wage with tips while waiting but they get the Increased standard hourly wage when they aren't serving- even if they are sleeping- and overtime at that. Some 1.5x pay and towards the end of the 72 hr shift 2x pay.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom