Hurricane Irma

Rachael M.

The stories from the resorts are nice to hear, but I can't help but notice the huge gap between deluxe resorts on the one hand, and moderates and values on the other. Given that many people in the moderates and AoA likely paid more than people are now paying for deluxes I can't help but feel that the gap should be smaller. And yes, I realize this means nothing compared to someone who's lost their house. The gap just stood out to me.
Edit: this is, of course, solely based on the reports I've seen.

I don't know about that....we're at Pop Century and are having a similar experience. The arcade is free, I've seen Woody and a toy soldier and Jake from the Neverland pirate show. They were also handing out coloring sheets and doing hula hoops on the center lobby. They are handling things extremely well imo!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
If you go look at Instagram stories it looks like all sorts of charcater Meet and greets, dance parties and movie screenings are happening at values.

We are at Wilderness and starting last night we've had the Country Bears and Brer. I saw a post on Kenny's website of what was happening at Riverside with Characters etc. My feeling is with both food and entertainment Disney took a big learning curve from Mathew last year and worked out many kinks. Here there were games for kids and CMs running them, free arcades I believe at all resorts and it seems the Recreation hosts for every resort brainstormed and had on hand giant sized active toys like Jenga, Toss Across, Connect Four. They played Disney Bingo and had small prizes for all. They opened up the pools until lpm when the lifeguards were soaked by then. I'm on the 5th floor of the atrium. They are still working/playing with the kids. I have not seen a movie here but there is an hour by hour list of activities. Since there is an Activity Rec Director at every resort I'm thinking they are all on the same page this Hurricane. I'm not seeing the horrid tweets like I did for Mathew. Only pleasantly happy ones. Disney also allowed those fleeing the Hurricane and landing here to bring their dogs to stay with them in the resorts. While I have not budged too frequently from my comfy chair in our Family Cove in the atrium guests are not cranky yet and the food is cheap and awesome. Artist Point is a 3 meal a day buffet, $12 lunch and breakfast (with awesome choices) $15 for dinner tonight with beverage included. Can barely get a Hotdog meal for that in the MK.

100% of our resort life guard and pool attendant staff is here for the duration to entertain kids and families. The CPs are being paid double time for their hurricane duty of staying for the duration. Nice Touch Disney!
DJYMZZCXoAATzAV.jpg

DJYL0miWAAEeh3l.jpg

And they held a Halloween Party at 3-5pm given the party was cancelled tonight.

MaximumEd

Saw where we could see 55-65 mph winds here in Birmingham. Schools are closed tomorrow and Tuesday. Depending on how much rain falls, there could be a lot of trees coming down. Nothing but trees and power lines around here.

Bairstow

Those of you seeing increased in-resort activities- who is actually doing the work here?
I'm curious if a disproportionate amount of these cast members are college program kids vs local employees with families in the area.
Dispatching the college kids en masse would give them something to do, and from what I've seen the resort activity staffs are mostly college program kids anyway. This could be their finest hour.

ToTBellHop

Those of you seeing increased in-resort activities- who is actually doing the work here?
I'm curious if a disproportionate amount of these cast members are college program kids vs local employees with families in the area.
Dispatching the college kids en masse would give them something to do, and from what I've seen the resort activity staffs are mostly college program kids anyway. This could be their finest hour.
It is indeed a bunch of CPers working 14-16 hr shifts for double their usual pay.

monothingie

Turn those machines back on!
Premium Member
Looks like Tornado Warnings are being issued for the parks area. For those riding it out at the hotels, best to go seek shelter now.

Weather apps are screaming but may not be accurate in terms of your location and the locations of warnings.

http://kamala.cod.edu/svr/

List of all active warnings and their area. Very accurate and updated in real time.

Many of these warnings stem from radar indicates circulation, so there may not be an actual tornado, but it is still no reason to ignore it. Please be careful.

esskay

My feeling is with both food and entertainment Disney took a big learning curve from Mathew last year and worked out many kinks.

Not sure what happened with Mathew last year but I was at AKL for Frances and Wilderness for Katrina, Disney were great during both, laying on the same sort of entertainment. I seem to recall they even set up a makeshift Krispy Kreme stand in the lobby of AKL giving out free doughnuts, all food was heavily discounted at AKL and free at Wilderness the following year, with packed lunches being handed out mid-day followed by full restaurant service in the evening.

Disney knows how to look after guests when on hotel lockdown, they've got decades of experience doing it :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom