Hurricane Irma

belledream

Just got back from WDW yesterday. Originally supposed to come home tonight. Checked our flight status on Wednesday and the AA rep said it was cancelled and the airport was closing all weekend. Well there's some misinformation right there. The next flight they could supposedly get us on was the following Thursday, but we ended up talking to a wonderful Expedia rep (bless her) and she found us a flight on Saturday morning before the 5pm shutdown to Dallas, and from Dallas back to the east coast. We didn't even think twice. Took it in a heartbeat.

I think we stayed ahead of the curve. I went to the front desk at 6am and alerted them of our change, then passed by again around 7:30 on our way to the buses, and it was packed!

Also, I had FOP booked for our AK day on Saturday, but since we would no longer be there, we went on Thursday. They honored it and we were able to experience it for the first time. Amazing.

Feeling really grateful we got out. ASMu food court was a madhouse, filled with people and not food, and the sign said it would be closed periodically during the weekend. As much as a I love Disney World, being locked in my room with only gummy worms and chips did not sound enticing. We spread our gratitude to all CMs who were working so hard and got out.

The Mom

Premium Member
Same here. Fortunately, my experiences so far have been great. A lot of people are thanking CMs for being here. This may change tomorrow, though.

Especially if they lose power. No A/C and no sleep = irritable guests. Unfortunately, many might take out their frustration on the poor CMs who neither caused the problem, nor can do anything to fix things.

This is what happens in any emergency - be it hurricane, blizzard, earthquake, etc; people start out with a "we need to work together to survive this," with those who can help happy to do so, and those who need help grateful for it. Unfortunately, after a few days, things often change.

DisneyNerd12

DJXWZDIVAAIC61k.jpg

Characters are doing meet & Greets at the resorts and there was a dance party at the lobby of Port Orleans.

Rinx

So when the parks et al are closed, are there any CM's that still HAVE to work? I'm thinking along the lines of Guest Services in resorts or front desk, restaurants, etc. Anybody know?

csmat99

Now they are saying great chance the center of Irma goes up through the center of FL. So orlando is very much in play for direct hit.

Roknrollrghostr

DH and I are here at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I can't believe the level of service and kindness I'm seeing so far. The Mara, Boma and Sanaa were all open for breakfast this morning with their normal menu and the last update on the TV says that they will be open until 3pm. Right now Rafiki is meeting with guests in the lobby and there are games and activities everywhere. There is a posted list in the lobby of all the activities that will be offered throughout the day. When we went down for breakfast this morning a lifeguard excitedly told us they were trying to get the pool open until noon (!). Passing by the windows later, I saw there were people actually in the pool, in the rain. I'm also surprised to see there are still wildebeests, zebras and springbok outside my window. Arcade is on free play. Club level lounge is still going and we are still seeing housekeeping making the rounds. Management is all over answering questions and keeping everyone happy and calm. They are doing an amazing job. Right now I'm watching Tron Legacy in my room and hoping for the best.

Once it became apparent that we wouldn't be able to get a flight out before the storm hit, I was pretty nervous. I'm still anxious, but the cast here is absolutely going above and beyond to ensure everyone feels safe and comfortable. One of the club level hosts even informed us that he wasn't supposed to work this weekend but volunteered because he feels safer here than at home. I feel pretty grateful to be "trapped" somewhere like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom