Hurricane Irma

21stamps

There were at least 10 people on Mallory Sq 10 minutes ago. They looked like different idiots from the ones we saw yesterday.

In all photos I have seen from you and others, and from the people I've seen while I was watching- none are the same. I wonder what the number of people left actually is. And those cams that we've seen are only KW!

Side note, I hope all of the wildlife and coral in Dry Tortugas is ok. I haven't found a cam there, anyone know if one exists?

For those wondering where it is, here's a photo..doesn't look like Irma can miss it :(

IMG_4048.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicgirl

In all photos I have seen from you and others, and from the people I've seen while I was watching- none are the same. I wonder what the number of people left actually is. And those cams that we've seen are only KW!

Side note, I hope all of the wildlife and coral in Dry Tortugas is ok. I haven't found a cam there, anyone know if one exists?

For those wondering where it is, here's a photo..doesn't look like Irma can miss it :(

View attachment 227853
Quite a lot, I fear... both locals and tourists. Just this morning I saw people walking their dog, tourists taking selfies, and an older woman cleaning out the gutter on Duval. There was also a police car, but they just seemed to be patrolling.

21stamps

Quite a lot, I fear... both locals and tourists. Just this morning I saw people walking their dog, tourists taking selfies, and an older woman cleaning out the gutter on Duval. There was also a police car, but they just seemed to be patrolling.

Apparently last night it was announced that a small emergency crew would stay behind. Serious kudos to whatever police are left there.

Hopefully those people in the photos are following twitter and not just taking selfies.

IMG_4051.jpg

MotherOfBirds

It takes a lot to get us Floridians phased about a hurricane. Most of my childhood, we wandered around the neighborhood in our Mickey ponchos and rain boots during the storm. Seeing people out and about before things actually get started is to be expected.

21stamps

It takes a lot to get us Floridians phased about a hurricane. Most of my childhood, we wandered around the neighborhood in our Mickey ponchos and rain boots during the storm. Seeing people out and about before things actually get started is to be expected.

But things have already started down south. Time for parties and being outdoors in those areas is over.

cosmicgirl

11:00 AM EDT Sat Sep 9
Moving: W at 9 mph
Min pressure: 941 mb
Max sustained: 125 mph

Updated track:
095407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

At 1100 AM EDT (1500 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Irma was
located by a reconnaissance plane and radar near latitude 22.8
North, longitude 79.8 West. Irma is moving toward the west along
the north coast of Cuba at near 9 mph (15 km/h). A northwest motion
is expected to begin later today with a turn toward the north-
northwest on Sunday. On the forecast track, the core of Irma will
continue to move near or over the north coast of Cuba later today,
and will reach the Florida Keys Sunday morning. The hurricane is
expected to move along or near the southwest coast of Florida Sunday
afternoon.

Maximum sustained winds are near 125 mph (205 km/h) with higher
gusts. Irma is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
Hurricane Wind Scale. Irma is forecast to restrengthen once it
moves away from Cuba, and Irma is expected to remain a powerful
hurricane as it approaches Florida.

G00fyDad

This is us. Probably <40mph winds on Wed/Thurs. Maybe some tornadoes spawning from the winds. NOTHING compared to what Florida is going to get hit with but with all of the trees here full of leaves there may be many of them coming down on power lines. Including my stupid neighbour that refuses to cut down his rotting tree out back that is tall enough to come right into my house. :(

Image1.jpg

I have a few friends in Orlando and Jacksonville and they are already leaving the state. I sincerely hope everyone not leaving stays safe.

21stamps

11:00 AM EDT Sat Sep 9
Moving: W at 9 mph
Min pressure: 941 mb
Max sustained: 125 mph

Updated track:
095407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

At 1100 AM EDT (1500 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Irma was
located by a reconnaissance plane and radar near latitude 22.8
North, longitude 79.8 West. Irma is moving toward the west along
the north coast of Cuba at near 9 mph (15 km/h). A northwest motion
is expected to begin later today with a turn toward the north-
northwest on Sunday. On the forecast track, the core of Irma will
continue to move near or over the north coast of Cuba later today,
and will reach the Florida Keys Sunday morning. The hurricane is
expected to move along or near the southwest coast of Florida Sunday
afternoon.

Maximum sustained winds are near 125 mph (205 km/h) with higher
gusts. Irma is a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
Hurricane Wind Scale. Irma is forecast to restrengthen once it
moves away from Cuba, and Irma is expected to remain a powerful
hurricane as it approaches Florida.

All the way down to 9mph now. Poor Cuba.

Chef Mickey

Cautiously optimistic for Miami and Orlando (perhaps not others) but Irma appears to have shifted West and the brunt of it will likely miss Miami and Orlando.

Reports in the last few minutes indicate the storm is roughly on the same longitude as Miami right now, so a direct hit is unlikely and Orlando is even farther east. Tampa and Western Florida appear in worse trajectory now.

disney4life2008

I agree. I stay on the east side off Colonial and things are normal. Outside of the obvious

Figaro928

Being temporary doesn’t mean they are allowed to be significantly weaker. At a very minimum they should be able to sustain 129 mph gusts.
Thanks - that's what I had assumed but someone had mentioned in passing that they were all going to be taken down and put away - which seemed unlikely. Probably brought up by the same people who said all that about the castle :facepalm::hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom