Hurricane Irma

lazyboy97o

Quick question. We have friends in Clearwater. 2 miles from the water on the East and 5 miles from the water on the West. How high would the surge need to be to reach them? I don't recall there being a lot of elevation in that area.
It’s more about elevation. Here is an interactive map of the Pinellas County evacuation zones. You can enter your friend’s address and see where they are in regards to storm surges.
http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/wusf/files/201709/pinellas_evacuation_zones.pdf

flynnibus

Premium Member
Quick question. We have friends in Clearwater. 2 miles from the water on the East and 5 miles from the water on the West. How high would the surge need to be to reach them? I don't recall there being a lot of elevation in that area.

That's impossible to answer without looking at the topology. Storm surge damage is limited usually to the immediate water front areas and distances measured in blocks... but flooding damage can extend much further inland depending on the topology. My guess is in they aren't in any wave damage areas... but flooding... they would know better than I without research.

Next Big Thing

Being on the back end isn't where you want to be...
Well, I mean, you don't really want to be in any part of this preferably. With how wide this storm is, you're going to get hit pretty decent. As long as you're out of a flood zone though, it should be (mostly) fine as long as you're taking shelter.

21stamps

i mean dude... it is a little breezy and rainy right now. people are okay. the evacuation window is beginning to close but you can still get out of key west if you absolutely have to.

if you are in a secure place in southeast florida, smoking a cigar or having a glass of wine on the porch or taking a walk around the neighborhood isn't that crazy (though in various places it may be breaking curfew).

The have opened last resort shelters.

Here's a current radar. Please, please stop pretending like the Keys are a suburb of Miami.
IMG_4052.jpg

Minnie1986

Still beautiful on property this morning. Listening to the train whistles and sharing a couple of mimosas.

Today we check out, pick up the pup from Best Friends Pet Care, and move to another room in Orlando where Brian's family booked a few rooms, and they relaxed their pet policy.

That's the best way to go right now. As much as I wanted to stay here and trust the infrastructure , it would be expensive and I don't like the idea of being confined to my room, while my dog is on lockdown for a few days.
Thanks for sharing the photos of our home away from home. So nice to see something positive amongst all of this chaos.

worldfanatic

The main bad thing about it being west is that the winds will be significantly worse for the Orlando area than if the storm was on the east coast.
True, the right side of the storm is worse.
But at this point, it's clear the eye of Irma can't make all the way to east of Orlando (even with a large shift), so "as far west as possible" is what's best for Orlando & Disney World.

Tony the Tigger

So we are in a that was only a few miles away, near Arabian nights, slightly concerned about being on the seventh floor but there are many floors above us. And the family are on the same floor, just a few doors away in either direction.

My mother in New Jersey was crying on the phone last night, I tried to tell her everything's fine.

Glad to be settled in, Kylie is very happy. The family is already well stocked, but I'm making a last run to Publix for odds and ends before it turns ugly. So far, just cloudy and a little windy.

ToyStoryMiss

NO :arghh: Where did it come from? Directly from the airline??
Yep, directly from American Airlines. I'm checking other airlines at the moment to see if there are any leaving, and at the moment, Frontier still has one leaving Tuesday night. All others have been cancelled.

Now, Southwest says that all of their flights are still going, but they're all sold out, so I don't know if that means they're cancelled or not.

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 95

Figment82

Just saw on the news that the parking garages in downtown Orlando are open and free until Tuesday. I remember someone had mentioned earlier about where to park your car if you live in an apartment, or don't have a garage. It might be a little further away than Disney Springs, but it's an option for those who need it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom