Hurricane Irma

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You do understand that for many people their vacations get locked in through their employers months in advance, and for many that cant simply push it back two months? Theres no guarantee this will even hit the Orlando area so telling people to stay away at this moment is wrong. People should continue to keep an eye on this and treat it very seriously and we will all have more information come Friday. Please get off your high horse. Thanks!

I don't live in Florida, but I did live through Sandy as a first responder. My fire department ran calls for weeks, after the storm. One of our biggest obstacles was the fact that the infrastructure was so disrupted that basic society couldn't function. We had gasoline lines, people without power, food, shelter, and damage everywhere. For several days after the event there were curfews and travel restrictions. We had a hard enough time serving the residents let alone those passing through.

Remember Governor Christie had his famous "get off the damn beach" speech. By Thursday the storm track will be pretty clear as to where it's going to land. I think at that point anyone's travel decision about this should be clear. I know it's inconvenient for some people to give up their planned vacations, but you know what, if there is damage and devastation, your ELECTIVE trip is putting others at a risk unnecessarily and certainly won't help people get the assistance they could need.

insaneshadow

But that means we up in North Florida may see a near direct hit.... :(
No one wins! *Flips table*
Well played, Nature.

Also, one thing that sucks about living in Florida is, during Hurricane Season, Meteorologists are quick to point out how long it's been since we've been directly hit by a strong hurricane. We know! We'd like to keep it that way but it's almost like they sit there with their fingers crossed hoping that they can get a good 3 hour weather segment out of it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If it looks like by Friday Irma may head my way, I'm going Lowe's and get one of those little Colman camping stoves.

Oh, if you have a grill, make sure to get more fuel to power it. And get an old fashioned tea kettle. You can boil water on the grill - I did it in 1985.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't live in Florida, but I did live through Sandy as a first responder. My fire department ran calls for weeks, after the storm. One of our biggest obstacles was the fact that the infrastructure was so disrupted that basic society couldn't function. We had gasoline lines, people without power, food, shelter, and damage everywhere. For several days after the event there were curfews and travel restrictions. We had a hard enough time serving the residents let alone those passing through.

Remember Governor Christie had his famous "get off the damn beach" speech. By Thursday the storm track will be pretty clear as to where it's going to land. I think at that point anyone's travel decision about this should be clear. I know it's inconvenient for some people to give up their planned vacations, but you know what, if there is damage and devastation, your ELECTIVE trip is putting others at a risk unnecessarily and certainly won't help people get the assistance they could need.

^^^THIS. Please think about his post. We love you, but don't need you right now.

Forgot that Christie said that.

21stamps

American Airlines issued this.. To all travelers check with your airline and see what they are doing-

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/05/american-airlines-issues-alerts-for-florida-airports-over-irma/

On Tuesday, the company said they are posting the waivers so customers with travel plans that could be affected by the hurricane can reschedule without incurring a change fee.

Out of the 27 airports, the following Florida airports are included in the new travel alert:

• Miami International Airport
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
  • Key West International Airport
  • Palm Beach International Airport
  • Southwest Florida International Airport (Lee County Port Authority)
  • Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport.
Customers who are set to travel from Sept. 5th – Sept. 7th can travel before or after the storm by changing their flights without a penalty.

The company has already cancelled about 35 flights to several Caribbean cities through September 7th.

Travelers can stay up to date with travel alerts by clicking here or calling the company at 1-800-433-7300.

Tom P.

^^^THIS. Please think about his post. We love you, but don't need you right now.

Forgot that Christie said that.
Given that the experts are all saying that it is still too soon to know exactly what impact Irma will have on Florida, and that we won't know for sure until Thursday or Friday, and given that Disney won't even officially implement their hurricane policy until a hurricane warning is issued, why exactly should folks with trips next week, after the forecasted hurricane, be rushing to make changes now? It still seems a bit premature.

MaximumEd

Here in central Alabama, we deal with tornadoes and power outages every year. Keep plenty of water on hand, plenty of canned goods and food, and a way to boil water and heat food. I keep an old stovetop percolater coffee maker for just those occasions along with a camp stove and plenty of fuel.
I work for a natural gas company and have had to respond to more than one tornado by going in making equipment safe following the damage. The biggest hindrance is getting through the mass of onlookers that drive through. Stay out of Florida if you don't have a legitimate need to be there and let people do their job. Prayers to all of you in the state. If you can make it to central AL, I got a spare room.

Monorail_Orange

If it looks like by Friday Irma may head my way, I'm going Lowe's and get one of those little Colman camping stoves.

Oh, if you have a grill, make sure to get more fuel to power it. And get an old fashioned tea kettle. You can boil water on the grill - I did it in 1985.
Respectful suggestion: Get one of the Coleman "Dual Fuel" models. The tank included with it will allow you to run it on Coleman/Camp Fuel (white gas) OR straight up 87 octane (or higher) from a gas pump. Also, if you spend a few pennies more, you can get the kit that will allow you run your same stove on propane. That kit will run on the small bottles, and you can get an adapter (or a "distribution tree") that will let you hook up to a 5lb (gas grill size) or 20lb (RV bottle) propane cylinder.

Nickels5

And that's all the point I am trying to make by Thursday and Friday we will have a much better idea, I am just saying at this point its too early for people to be cancelling vacations on a chance.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Given that the experts are all saying that it is still too soon to know exactly what impact Irma will have on Florida, and that we won't know for sure until Thursday or Friday, and given that Disney won't even officially implement their hurricane policy until a hurricane warning is issued, why exactly should folks with trips next week, after the forecasted hurricane, be rushing to make changes now? It still seems a bit premature.

Start thinking about what you need to do NOW, so that by Friday, you have some idea of what you'll need to do.

21stamps

The governor has already lifted turnpike tolls here in Florida as of 5:00 pm today. I believe this is an effort to help alleviate concerns for those who may not evacuate because they can't afford the tolls.

Also the tolls cause horrible back ups on South Florida. There's just too many people, worst of all is the North PBC tolls.. between that and the '95 traffic is the reason why I never went North. With thousands of people mandatory evacuated, and thousands more who will be, the tolls need to remain lifted.

I'm glad they did it this early.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Respectful suggestion: Get one of the Coleman "Dual Fuel" models. The tank included with it will allow you to run it on Coleman/Camp Fuel (white gas) OR straight up 87 octane (or higher) from a gas pump. Also, if you spend a few pennies more, you can get the kit that will allow you run your same stove on propane. That kit will run on the small bottles, and you can get an adapter (or a "distribution tree") that will let you hook up to a 5lb (gas grill size) or 20lb (RV bottle) propane cylinder.

Thanks for the suggestion.

IanDLBZF

American Airlines issued this.. To all travelers check with your airline and see what they are doing-

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/05/american-airlines-issues-alerts-for-florida-airports-over-irma/

On Tuesday, the company said they are posting the waivers so customers with travel plans that could be affected by the hurricane can reschedule without incurring a change fee.

Out of the 27 airports, the following Florida airports are included in the new travel alert:

• Miami International Airport
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
  • Key West International Airport
  • Palm Beach International Airport
  • Southwest Florida International Airport (Lee County Port Authority)
  • Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport.
Customers who are set to travel from Sept. 5th – Sept. 7th can travel before or after the storm by changing their flights without a penalty.

The company has already cancelled about 35 flights to several Caribbean cities through September 7th.

Travelers can stay up to date with travel alerts by clicking here or calling the company at 1-800-433-7300.
AA isn't the only one issuing an advisory...
From Southwest:
Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the following cities, our scheduled service on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Havana (HAV)
  • Nassau (NAS)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Punta Cana (PUJ)
  • San Juan (SJU)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)
Customers who are holding reservations on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.

Customers in the U.S. scheduled to travel internationally must call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative for assistance with rebooking.

If you are calling Southwest Airlines from one of our international cities, please reach us at:

Aruba: 011-297-588-2900

Bahamas: 1-855-202-3403 (English)

Bahamas: 1-855-202-3402 (Spanish)

Belize: 0-800-007-8684

Costa Rica: 0800-012-1916

Dominican Republic: 1-800-751-9039 (English)

Dominican Republic: 1-800-751-9038 (Spanish)

Grand Cayman: 1-844-670-7914 (English)

Grand Cayman: 1-844-670-7990 (Spanish)

Jamaica: 1-800-425-8130 (English)

Jamaica: 1-800-425-8089 (Spanish)

Mexico: 01-800-083-1179 (English)

Mexico: 01-800-083-1178 (Spanish)

Additionally, Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check flight status information.
Source: https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_2017841504542489393.html

rhonda stewart

It sounds like I should reschedule my WDW vacation ( Sept 10 - 16). My question is, if Disney does this Hurricane Policy, will my Mickey Halloween Party Tickets be part of the refundable amount?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom