Hurricane Irma

21stamps

National Weather Service have issued an update on Irma, and it's now officially as strong as Wilma in 2005, and the joint second strongest hurricane in the Atlantic's history. 185mph sustained winds. It's also still travelling over warm waters, giving it a chance to further strengthen. Possible that it could reach Allen heights of 190mph...

Everyone I know is trying to get out now, unsuccessfully trying to get flights.

I'm searching as well. I say take the 7 hour flight if need be.. and start driving now. I'm willing to drive a few hours to pick them up. Hoping they make the decision and find something quick.
IMG_3861.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

WDW1974

Just to repeat what should be simple common sense, but if you have a trip anywhere in FL, including WDW, in the next two weeks you should be canceling or rescheduling it.

We don't need more people here with needs who are more interested in when Chef Mickey's will start serving again or the MK reopening than dealing with saving lives and restoring basic functions. The only other viewpoints/opinions are selfish and destructive to Floridians and CMs and their families.

You do not need to be here and you will not want to be here.

This is about safety and life and death and not the FPs you booked two months ago for FoP and SDMT. The selfishness I see here is typical as is the bad advice (no, you don't wait and see when the Keys and Miami-Dade are telling tourists already to leave tomorrow). You need to wake up. The state of FL in most places is about 120-150 miles across. Irma is close to 500 miles across. You think Ohana is going to be serving because you only have Cat 2 winds in O-Town?

I seriously think this thread has run its course and should be open only to informative news posts to help people, not to help them figure out whether a Tuesday arrival is better than a Friday one.

John park hopper

With sustained winds of 185 I can bet there will be gusts in excess of 200. as I posted earlier having gone through Hugo in coastal SC You don't want to be in this. Hugo had 145 winds and it knocked down ALL the powerlines in and around Charleston- we were without power not days but weeks. Gas was impossible to find, Please take this seriously. With TX refineries out of service adds to the problem. If at all possible get out of Florida and by all means don't go there WDW doesn't need you there

psherman42

I just moved back to Orlando and am casually freaking out. There were never any hurricanes when I lived here before, and I'm also from the north so I literally have no idea what to do. :joyfull:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I seriously think this thread has run its course and should be open only to informative news posts to help people, not to help them figure out whether a Tuesday arrival is better than a Friday one.
There are people who really have no experience with this type of weather and have valid questions, so the thread will remain open for everyone.

Just to repeat what should be simple common sense, but if you have a trip anywhere in FL, including WDW, in the next two weeks you should be canceling or rescheduling it.

We don't need more people here with needs who are more interested in when Chef Mickey's will start serving again or the MK reopening than dealing with saving lives and restoring basic functions. The only other viewpoints/opinions are selfish and destructive to Floridians and CMs and their families.

This is about safety and life and death and not the FPs you booked two months ago for FoP and SDMT. The selfishness I see here is typical as is the bad advice (no, you don't wait and see when the Keys and Miami-Dade are telling tourists already to leave tomorrow). You need to wake up. The state of FL in most places is about 120-150 miles across. Irma is close to 500 miles across. You think Ohana is going to be serving because you only have Cat 2 winds in O-Town?

That's great and all, but for those of us who have 7, or 10, or 14 day trips planned... we may still want to come because there's a very reasonable chance the parks will only close for 1 or 2 days.

Matthew was a strong category 4 that was bearing down on this area just last year. Ultimately, Orlando fared just fine and many people who cancelled probably wished in retrospect they hadn't. Obviously there is no guarantee that will happen again, but Disney World is still pretty small relative to the area that will get hurricane force winds. At this point, Orlando is probably no more than 50/50 to get 74mph sustained winds. And probably over 95% to not have significant impacts at the parks for more than a couple days.

21stamps

This is absolutely ridiculous, it's not often that I criticize city/state government agencies.. but a friend of mine, located in barrier island south Palm Beach country, but works for Broward County, was told by her boss- recent meeting just now with all employees- that they can not leave at this point. They are still waiting for "more accurate info". Seriously?!?!?!!!
I'd say screw you, I'm sick and I'm leaving.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's great and all, but for those of us who have 7, or 10, or 14 day trips planned... we may still want to come because there's a very reasonable chance the parks will only close for 1 or 2 days.

Matthew was a strong category 4 that was bearing down on this area just last year. Ultimately, Orlando fared just fine and many people who cancelled probably wished in retrospect they hadn't. Obviously there is no guarantee that will happen again, but Disney World is still pretty small relative to the area that will get hurricane force winds. At this point, Orlando is probably no more than 50/50 to get 74mph sustained winds. And probably over 95% to not have significant impacts at the parks for more than a couple days.
This is very true, and at the current time nobody knows what is going to happen. Friday is going to be the critical day according to the experts.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
And just as a reminder, hurricanes shift within hours. No one can accurately predict their landing point. Look at Matthew, thankfully it turned at literally the last minute.

Precisely. Kate in 1985 wasn't headed straight for Tallahassee. But shortly around noon she shifted, the state sent us all home around 2pm and around 6 pm I lost power. The eye came ashore around Quincy, which is 20 miles west of here. Kate was a weak Category 2 storm when she hit the Thursday before Thanksgiving.

My fear if Irma heads my way? No city water for a week. Hence the huge pack of baby wipes I got at Costco..if they're good for a baby's bottom, I can do sponge baths with them.

Any leftover canned goods will be donated to the local food bank. The bed of my pickup truck now serves as my hurricane pantry. Costco was a zoo - will probably settle down the next day or two and then pick back up starting Friday.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else, but one site said it confirmed this: "Disney will be waving penalties in association with cancelling your Walt Disney World vacation since the state of Florida is under a state of emergency."

21stamps

Precisely. Kate in 1985 wasn't headed straight for Tallahassee. But shortly around noon she shifted, the state sent us all home around 2pm and around 6 pm I lost power. The eye came ashore around Quincy, which is 20 miles west of here. Kate was a weak Category 2 storm when she hit the Thursday before Thanksgiving.

My fear if Irma heads my way? No city water for a week. Hence the huge pack of baby wipes I got at Costco..if they're good for a baby's bottom, I can do sponge baths with them.

Any leftover canned goods will be donated to the local food bank. The bed of my pickup truck now serves as my hurricane pantry. Costco was a zoo - will probably settle down the next day or two and then pick back up starting Friday.

People do not know He-l-l until they have lived without water. I never want to relive that again. The absolute worst.

LAKid53

Premium Member
For you the storm will have passed. There could be some inconveniences at WDW as they clean up but that should be about it for you. In my case I want to drive from Tallahassee, FL. For me it's more about the state of my home, power, and roads than WDW itself.

John, Costco was a zoo this morning.. The line for the gas pumps backed all the way up to the light at Buck Lake - that intersection where the new apartment complex is going.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else, but one site said it confirmed this: "Disney will be waving penalties in association with cancelling your Walt Disney World vacation since the state of Florida is under a state of emergency."
Currently yes to those that have trips planned that will be effected by the hurricane, when I called earlier today they are helping to reschedule if they can or they will let guests cancel.

WDW1974

There are people who really have no experience with this type of weather and have valid questions, so the thread will remain open for everyone.

Yes. And the advice should be: stay away. Very simple. People are putting their vacations above the lives of residents and, frankly, that isn't cool.

No one HAS to come to WDW in the next two weeks. Valid questions might be 'how can I get a refund?' or 'will they move my reservation to November?' Not 'this natural disaster is really inconvenient, I booked Le Ceiller six months ago for lunch with the Dining Plan and what if EPCOT is closed that day?'

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKid53

Premium Member
National Weather Service have issued an update on Irma, and it's now officially as strong as Wilma in 2005, and the joint second strongest hurricane in the Atlantic's history. 185mph sustained winds. It's also still travelling over warm waters, giving it a chance to further strengthen. Possible that it could reach Allen heights of 190mph...

WDWMagic won't let me print the words that just popped in my mind, but most of you can figure them out. I sure hope they are wrong. Waiting to start hearing forecasts from Hurricane Center in Miami.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I could not have said it better myself. Stay home. Officials need to concentrate their efforts on the 25 million or so who live here.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just moved back to Orlando and am casually freaking out. There were never any hurricanes when I lived here before, and I'm also from the north so I literally have no idea what to do. :joyfull:
What to do is pretty simple.

If you are told to leave, leave.

If not, hunker down where you are and have the supplies ready for could a week long camping camping trip with no electricity or running water.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is very true, and at the current time nobody knows what is going to happen. Friday is going to be the critical day according to the experts.

But don't wait until Friday to make plans, just saying. Plan now. Gas up the car now. Think of evacuation routes now. Pack a suitcase now. Everything @The Mom said was on target.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom