Hurricane Irma

21stamps

AA isn't the only one issuing an advisory...
From Southwest:
Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the following cities, our scheduled service on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Havana (HAV)
  • Nassau (NAS)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Punta Cana (PUJ)
  • San Juan (SJU)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)
Customers who are holding reservations on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

Customers who purchased their itinerary via Southwest.com or our mobile app are eligible to reschedule their travel plans online or from their mobile device.

Customers who did not purchase a ticket via Southwest.com can call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative.

Customers in the U.S. scheduled to travel internationally must call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Representative for assistance with rebooking.

If you are calling Southwest Airlines from one of our international cities, please reach us at:

Aruba: 011-297-588-2900

Bahamas: 1-855-202-3403 (English)

Bahamas: 1-855-202-3402 (Spanish)

Belize: 0-800-007-8684

Costa Rica: 0800-012-1916

Dominican Republic: 1-800-751-9039 (English)

Dominican Republic: 1-800-751-9038 (Spanish)

Grand Cayman: 1-844-670-7914 (English)

Grand Cayman: 1-844-670-7990 (Spanish)

Jamaica: 1-800-425-8130 (English)

Jamaica: 1-800-425-8089 (Spanish)

Mexico: 01-800-083-1179 (English)

Mexico: 01-800-083-1178 (Spanish)

Additionally, Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check flight status information.
Source: https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_2017841504542489393.html

Does Southwest not fly into Miami?

21stamps

WN doesn't fly into MIA.
Similar advisories have been issued by JetBlue, Delta, and United (the latter two of the three have posted advisories just for the Caribbean).

Ha. I never knew that. I've only flown Southwest twice. Once out of FLL.. I try to avoid MIA unless it's impossible.lol

I'm glad that other airlines are offering the same! It can make the tourist's decision to cancel much easier.

JoeCamel

The governor has already lifted turnpike tolls here in Florida as of 5:00 pm today. I believe this is an effort to help alleviate concerns for those who may not evacuate because they can't afford the tolls.
They do that so there isn't a backup at the toll plazas. Those are almost gone now with Sunpass so it might change in the future.

Tom P.

Call them
Based on reports I've seen so far, I don't think cast members answering the phones have any useful or helpful information at this point. And what information they have is different depending on which cast member you talk to. That's unfortunate, but also not atypical for Disney. I don't imagine we'll get a coherent message from Disney until if/when a hurricane warning is issued and the official hurricane policy goes into effect.

21stamps

They do that so there isn't a backup at the toll plazas. Those are almost gone now with Sunpass so it might change in the future.

State and local leaders always told us not to be on the turnpike unless necessary, to just go west instead, for that exact reason. I think it's so great that they did it today. Florida is learning. :)

(Not that you can go very far west- but better than running out of gas without much hope of refueling)

JohnD

Original Poster
John, Costco was a zoo this morning.. The line for the gas pumps backed all the way up to the light at Buck Lake - that intersection where the new apartment complex is going.

So I've heard. I had a full tank leaving Amelia Island. Now back to half a tank. Will need to top off tonight. Fortunately, I also have a good supply of water already at home. If it means anything, models have shifted the hurricane eastward. Not good for anyone impacted in Florida but it appears Tallahassee would have less of an impact.

11L_tracks_latest.png

Monorail_Orange

State and local leaders always told us not to be on the turnpike unless necessary, to just go west instead, for that exact reason. I think it's so great that they did it today. Florida is learning. :)

(Not that you can go very far west- but better than running out of gas without much hope of refueling)
I think part of the problem with this particular storm is they aren't sure where to tell people to go yet, at least as far as East/West. Right now, North, VERY north (as in out of Florida) is the only safe bet.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So I've heard. I had a full tank leaving Amelia Island. Now back to half a tank. Will need to top off tonight. Fortunately, I also have a good supply of water already at home. If it means anything, models have shifted the hurricane eastward. Not good for anyone impacted in Florida but it appears Tallahassee would have less of an impact.

11L_tracks_latest.png

That's good news, for us. I've got a full tank and picked up everything but water at Costco. they will be getting more later today. If Irma makes that shift, 2nd Harvest will be getting a nice donation of canned goods. The water I will keep.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

11L_tracks_latest.png

I am going to root for those two models sitting out in the Atlantic...as long as they spin away from the Carolina's.

IanDLBZF

John, Costco was a zoo this morning.. The line for the gas pumps backed all the way up to the light at Buck Lake - that intersection where the new apartment complex is going.
http://www.wftv.com/weather/eye-on-...as-stations-as-hurricane-irma-looms/603491549
:jawdrop:

Also, for those of you who forgot FL Attorney General Pam Bondi activated a price-gouging hotline which is activated during state emergencies. As many of you know, Florida law prohibits “extreme increases” in prices of food, water, hotel rooms, ice, gas, lumber and other items in high demand during an official emergency.
Penalties for those found in violation of the price-gouging law can be subject to heavy fines or misdemeanor charges.
http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...eral-activates-pricegouging-hotline/603354546

21stamps

I think part of the problem with this particular storm is they aren't sure where to tell people to go yet, at least as far as East/West. Right now, North, VERY north (as in out of Florida) is the only safe bet.

Anywhere on the mainland is safer than the Keys. There is not any shelters open in Monroe County.

Also even for the people on the barrier islands in SoFla.. they are much safer even just west of 95 than they are in their homes.

Typically barrier islands are mandatory evacs and east of US1 is voluntary evac.. we were always told to go west.. where the roofs were still getting blown off and power was still out. But safer than the storm surge.

Interestingly, even myself on a barrier island had power restored faster than those west of '95, and even US1, Mainly because of businesses/tourism.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
http://www.wftv.com/weather/eye-on-...as-stations-as-hurricane-irma-looms/603491549
:jawdrop:

Also, for those of you who forgot FL Attorney General Pam Bondi activated a price-gouging hotline which is activated during state emergencies. As many of you know, Florida law prohibits “extreme increases” in prices of food, water, hotel rooms, ice, gas, lumber and other items in high demand during an official emergency.
Penalties for those found in violation of the price-gouging law can be subject to heavy fines or misdemeanor charges.
http://www.wftv.com/news/trending-n...eral-activates-pricegouging-hotline/603354546

And outing in your local paper.

21stamps

11L_tracks_latest.png

All of these models could possibly obliterate the Keys-

IMG_3866.jpg

This is scary. (Friend's place, not mine)

IMG_3865.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom