Hurricane Irma

21stamps

I understand that. I too live in the local area and do not work at WDW, but I know many people who do.

Again. I'm not saying anyone should be coming here for vacations in the next several weeks. I'm saying people should wait until after the storm before they make decisions about anything beyond the next week or so.

Ah ok. Totally understand now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
From the collective bargaining agreement.

SECTION 3. INVOLUNTARY OVERTIME

Junior, qualified, available, on-shift employee(s) will be required to work involuntary overtime. The Company will make every effort to give the employee as much notice as reasonably possible of the involuntary overtime. Additionally, no employee will be required to work involuntarily more than fourteen (14) consecutive days.

When Management has at least ninety (90) minutes’ notice that a shift is going to be extended, it shall notify employees required to remain beyond their scheduled shift at least thirty (30) minutes prior to the end of the employees’ shift. The Company will provide access to a phone in the event of a required extension.

Also
SECTION 6. IMMINENT DANGER

No employee shall be compelled to perform work or operate equipment that poses an imminent danger to life or serious physical harm to himself/herself.

So it's sort of open ended...

Define 'Imminent Danger' ... Remember Disney will have the best lawyers in the world working on 'The Company's' version

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm checking flights now. I'm from Wisconsin so if I could get to Chicago perhaps my parents could meet me there. But literally I'd go anywhere that's north. My only concern is getting back for training Tuesday. I do have a friend who's mom is staying at a disney resort and she said I could stay there and I think my roommate was booking one too, so those are options.
I'm sorry I'm a northerner who never had to deal with hurricanes the last time I lived here so I'm panicking at this track shift. It seems like a really dramatic shift from the last one.

Then go there. Take some supplies if you can. Let your employer know you're in the path of a major catastrophe in Florida and you will get back as soon as you can. Your safety is the important thing now.

Maybe Rick can write you a note excusing your absence (joke - we need some levity).

mousehockey37

Then go there. Take some supplies if you can. Let your employer know you're in the path of a major catastrophe in Florida and you will get back as soon as you can. Your safety is the important thing now.

Maybe Rick can write you a note excusing your absence (joke - we need some levity).

If you're not an essential employee anywhere, the best idea is to get out and get out while you can. I'm hearing the reports and seeing the pictures that the highways are literally jammed from Miami up to Tampa... This is basically one big mass evacuation that probably no one in Florida (or Florida's gov't) thought they'd ever see.

21stamps

We know. We all know.

Remember, this is also a storm that is basically seeing the evacuation of most places South of the Tampa/Orlando area and that could push more to the North. I don't think this has ever happened before. It's going to get uglier before it gets better.

I'm sure Disney will save a Cabana for you though... the important things, right?

If you think I cabana at Disney is even close to my mind right now, then you haven't been reading any of my posts.

I'm supposed to be at food and wine, without my kid, with my friends, taking a vantage of my AP while I still have it.
Shockingly, a major hurricane is a little bit more important. Crazy I know.

psherman42

I mean the employer is universal so I'd hope they'd understand. I'm at orientation now and may talk to someone before I leave lol.

worldfanatic

I think the common sense point that is trying to be made is let's see what happens......AND THEN BAN TOURISTS if needed.

I live literally on top of the San Andreas Fault. If there was a flurry of small earthquakes, and the supposed "Big One" was possibly on the way, I wouldn't be calling for all tourism to be stopped in Palm Springs before it actually hit and things were destroyed.

Are you under the assumption that people are going to start pouring into Disney World even if Orlando is totally destroyed?
I'm due to fly into MCO on the 14th, there's no way I'm going there if there's heavy damage. Nor would I be able to. The lack of Hotel or Airline availability would stop me.

mousehockey37

If you think I cabana at Disney is even close to my mind right now, then you haven't been reading any of my posts.

I'm supposed to be at food and wine, without my kid, with my friends, taking a vantage of my AP while I still have it.
Shockingly, a major hurricane is a little bit more important. Crazy I know.

Then go get one....
Hurricane-cocktail.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
And none of that will help the 74,000 cast members at WDW

Actually, only 62,000. I'm not saying ban tourism for 6 months. I'm saying priority right after the storm needs to be other than tourists.

Florida has a population of 21M. I think those people are just as important, don't you?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I've worked for one of those employers, I was arranging for a flight during a hurricane and I was told cost (and by extension my safety) were irrelevant, Fortunately ALL the airlines cancelled all flights to my home airport that and it was not deemed worthy to charter a bizjet (company one was overseas at the time) due to cost.

peter11435

Actually, only 62,000. I'm not saying ban tourism for 6 months. I'm saying priority right after the storm needs to be other than tourists.

Florida has a population of 21M. I think those people are just as important, don't you?
Again you're missing my point. I'm saying wait until after the storm before deciding to cancel vacations beyond the next week or so. You can't make an informed decision on the extent of the damage before we know the extent of the damage.

If there is widespread destruction then obviously those areas do not need tourists.

And WDP&R employees about 74,000 people in central Florida.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We know. We all know.

Remember, this is also a storm that is basically seeing the evacuation of most places South of the Tampa/Orlando area and that could push more to the North. I don't think this has ever happened before. It's going to get uglier before it gets better.

I'm sure Disney will save a Cabana for you though... the important things, right?

Stamps isn't here or coming back for a while....

LAKid53

Premium Member
If you're not an essential employee anywhere, the best idea is to get out and get out while you can. I'm hearing the reports and seeing the pictures that the highways are literally jammed from Miami up to Tampa... This is basically one big mass evacuation that probably no one in Florida (or Florida's gov't) thought they'd ever see.

Very, very true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom