Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
While I agree with the premise of your post tourism is also extremely important to the states economy. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Florida who rely on those vacationers for their paychecks. While those cast members and others should be focused on recovery, they can't do this without continuing to recieve a paycheck. If people stopped coming for several weeks in mass that would be doubly devastating for many. I'm not suggesting anyone come now. But wait until we see the extent of the damage to determine when the area can support tourism again.

The real boom to the Florida economy will be all the rebuilding that will happen. Just like after 2004 and 2005. I did state budgets for years, so I know.

psherman42

Lol!!!

Unless you can get a flight, you're much better off staying where you are.
I'm checking flights now. I'm from Wisconsin so if I could get to Chicago perhaps my parents could meet me there. But literally I'd go anywhere that's north. My only concern is getting back for training Tuesday. I do have a friend who's mom is staying at a disney resort and she said I could stay there and I think my roommate was booking one too, so those are options.
I'm sorry I'm a northerner who never had to deal with hurricanes the last time I lived here so I'm panicking at this track shift. It seems like a really dramatic shift from the last one.

mousehockey37

I'm checking flights now. I'm from Wisconsin so if I could get to Chicago perhaps my parents could meet me there. But literally I'd go anywhere that's north. My only concern is getting back for training Tuesday. I do have a friend who's mom is staying at a disney resort and she said I could stay there and I think my roommate was booking one too, so those are options.
I'm sorry I'm a northerner who never had to deal with hurricanes the last time I lived here so I'm panicking at this track shift. It seems like a really dramatic shift from the last one.

If you aint got a flight now, youre probly not getting one. MCO is sure to be a mad house.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It will be a huge boom for the state economy, But will not help the hundreds of thousands of Floridians who rely on the tourism service industry to live paycheck to paycheck.

If there are fewer hotels available due to loss and those available will be housing people who will be involved in the recovery, they will have no place to stay. But those carpenters and such will be providing revenue to pay hospitality employees. You seem to forget they will need a place to sleep, something to eat and gas for their vehicles.

21stamps

They are worried about getting paid. They can't recover and move on with their lives without money.

They can't get paid if they can't get to work.

Tourists have nothing to do with it. Gas stations, groceries, hotels.. they will remain open even without power.. and they will have plenty of business.

21stamps

If there are fewer hotels available due to loss and those available will be housing people who will be involved in the recovery, they will have no place to stay. But those carpenters and such will be providing revenue to pay hospitality employees. You seem to forget they will need a place to sleep, something to eat and gas for their vehicles.

Exactly.

peter11435

There's no tourism if there's nothing to tour.
Which is why you need to wait and see the extent of the storm damage. I'm not saying people should definetely come, I'm saying they should wait and see before they start canceling. People need people to return as soon as it can reasonably be accomodated. There is no way to know when that will be until after the storm.

peter11435

And none of that will help the 74,000 cast members at WDW

stargrl33

We're supposed to fly into Fort Lauderdale on 9/15. I bought travel insurance when I booked the trip in July. Hopefully we'll be covered in case the region gets hit badly enough to delay flights/close hotels through next weekend. The waiting is stressing me out a bit but not much we can do. We might lose a vacation but some people will lose everything because of this storm. I hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe - evacuate if you can and hunker down if you can't.

mousehockey37

Which is why you need to wait and see the extent of the storm damage. I'm not saying people should definetely come, I'm saying they should wait and see before they start canceling. People need people to return as soon as it can reasonably be accomodated. There is no way to know when that will be until after the storm.

First things first.. prevent/minimize the loss of life... deal with everything else later.

donsullivan

Premium Member
And none of that will help the 74,000 cast members at WDW

Please keep in mind that, while I understand this forum is focused on Walt Disney World, this storm is going to impact many millions of people across Florida and beyond who have nothing to do with WDW. MOST of us in the local area do not work at WDW. Those of us who have to live through this and deal with it's impact in the days, weeks and months after the storm leaves us are extremely concerned about what it's going to do to our homes and families, not our vacations to WDW. I just ask that all those who have never directly experienced a hurricane like this try and keep that in mind. This storm is not just about how it impacts somebody's vacation to WDW. I just ask that people try and keep the broader perspective in mind here.

21stamps

I'm not really sure what shocks you about that.

You realize the people who work at WDW are real people with lives and families to support.

I'm not being incensitive. I'm saying wait until you see what happens before you make decisions.

I'd prefer to see people just wait until next week and then make a decision and not come this weekend. Obviously that's not my decision to make.

Out of state tourism isn't going to be a factor in hotels being full or not in whatever area that this thing hits. It's not going to improve anyone's lives during that time.
So anyone who thinks that they are being generous to the Florida economy by visiting a hurricane zone, you aren't, at all.

freesvoice

Oh that's good to hear.

Here's my idea, and doubtful that it could be implemented. If you are NOT an evacuee, or coming off a cancelled cruise ship, or a volunteer, or bringing supplies.. then you should not be allowed to enter into Florida until next week.

I'm not even joking. I wish this could be put into action. There are not enough available rooms for the people who are in danger..or the volunteers/suppliers/etc who can help. Incoming tourism shouldn't be allowed.
Agreed. Amazing to see how many people are still heading down and seem to think it's fine because WDW should protect them. Huh? This is a natural DISASTER and being worried about your vacation (that can be rescheduled) to the point that youre fine with taking resources away from residents is just selfish.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom