Hurricane Irma

5thGenTexan

We need some humor right now. :)

OK....

21317794_10214507880479320_961875790508450649_n.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It seems that they have been keeping perspective. Irma has sustained 180+ mph winds for over two days, the last report I saw this morning, and its breadth is huge by comparison to others.

At the 5:00pm updated, they said measured pressure was 922mb - the same as Andrew at landfall. This thing hadn't even reached the warmer water in the Florida Straits..

Last edited:

21stamps

Wow. Around 1 million people have been ordered to evacuate South Florida. That's the highest amount ever.

Reality- I don't think more than half that amount will be able to get out. There are reports that many people are left in the Keys.

Monroe County does not have any shelters. Those people will be cut off from everyone if something happens.

Move EAST Irma!!!

IanDLBZF

Additional cancelations at WDW:
  • Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ are canceled for Saturday through Monday
  • Spirit of Aloha canceled Saturday
  • Highway in The Sky Dine Around Canceled Saturday
  • Two cancelations exist for the Food and Wine Fest:
    • Mix It, Make It, Celebrate It! Sessions canceled Monday and Tuesday
    • What’s Cooking With…Alex Guarnaschelli canceled Sunday
Source: https://www.inquisitr.com/4482910/u...cellations-ahead-of-irma-mnsshp-night-of-joy/

SorcererMC

That's what I didn't get during Matthew last year with people griping about the boxed meals. They had days of warning, and therefore, days to cancel and get out of town (the sensible choice) or days to stock up. Even without leaving property, guests could have stocked up on fruit and non-perishables at the parks and resorts. Living off of bananas, granola bars, dry cereals, Mickey-branded nuts, and baked goods for 24-72 hours isn't really tough.

There will always be a percentage of people who fail to plan, or mistakenly assume that Disney has prepared on their behalf and will take care of them. Or otherwise generally think that a hurricane would not have any impact inland...historically, for the most part, it's true - so they minimize the threat. Suppose that 10% of on-site guests don't plan (~30,000 hotel rooms, with multiple guests/room, at varying hotel occupancy rates) ... there could be thousands, eg, 5,000+ who aren't prepared.

ETA: I think someone said during Hurricane Matthew that they did 16,000 of those boxes or something like that...

SorcererMC

Does anyone know what happened to everyone on cruises that were cut short?

DCL, did the passengers have a choice to stay at the resorts if they couldn't get home?

I wonder if WDW and DCL would coordinate this.
Yes, they do coordinate it....I believe that DCL is given priority for available rooms, as are Ft. Wilderness guests.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't suppose you read the thread before posting?....

As for Matthew, it poured that morning, the park closed the rest of the day and for the next day. People were miserable with just boxed lunches and no food service. And everyone was lucky to have power. Roads had branches and obstacles. Even though we didn't have hurricane winds, gusts could have knocked out power at any time. Then you're in a hot hotel room with no A/C.

Matthew wasn't a fun time, and it was off shore. Anything closer will be much worse. People who regret the cancellation are delusional if they think they made a mistake.

And the windows don't open on many rooms

21stamps

Yes, they do coordinate it....I believe that DCL is given priority for available rooms, as are Ft. Wilderness guests.

Oh that's good to hear.

Here's my idea, and doubtful that it could be implemented. If you are NOT an evacuee, or coming off a cancelled cruise ship, or a volunteer, or bringing supplies.. then you should not be allowed to enter into Florida until next week.

I'm not even joking. I wish this could be put into action. There are not enough available rooms for the people who are in danger..or the volunteers/suppliers/etc who can help. Incoming tourism shouldn't be allowed.

LAKid53

Premium Member
People have been posting in this thread reports and pictures of local stores cleaned out of supplies. If anyone thinks they're flying in Saturday and running out for a case of water, they're in for a big surprise.

I live in Tallahassee. Most stores ate out of bottled water because people are buying enough to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool. Which means people on wells can't get water.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Oh that's good to hear.

Here's my idea, and doubtful that it could be implemented. If you are NOT an evacuee, or coming off a cancelled cruise ship, or a volunteer.. then you should not be allowed to enter into Florida until next week.

I'm not even joking. I wish this could be put into action.

I agree that there haven't been enough official/ govt. communications about what incoming tourists should or should not do; I realize they aren't the priority. There should be better guidance - including from Disney about it. I understand that there is uncertainty, but people should be taking 0 risk with this hurricane IMO.

disney4life2008

Additional cancelations at WDW:
  • Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ are canceled for Saturday through Monday
  • Spirit of Aloha canceled Saturday
  • Highway in The Sky Dine Around Canceled Saturday
  • Two cancelations exist for the Food and Wine Fest:
    • Mix It, Make It, Celebrate It! Sessions canceled Monday and Tuesday
    • What’s Cooking With…Alex Guarnaschelli canceled Sunday
Source: https://www.inquisitr.com/4482910/u...cellations-ahead-of-irma-mnsshp-night-of-joy/

I bet Disney financial people are counting how many hundreds of thousands of dollars the are loosing

disney4life2008

I agree that there haven't been enough official/ govt. communications about what incoming tourists should or should not do; I realize they aren't the priority. There should be better guidance - including from Disney about it. I understand that there is uncertainty, but people should be taking 0 risk with this hurricane IMO.

Im surprised Disney doesn't tell people to come. I assume its the lawyers.

21stamps

You would think it would be common sense. But as we see, it's not.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wow. Around 1 million people have been ordered to evacuate South Florida. That's the highest amount ever.

Reality- I don't think more than half that amount will be able to get out. There are reports that many people are left in the Keys.

Monroe County does not have any shelters. Those people will be cut off from everyone if something happens.

Move EAST Irma!!!

650,000 ordered to evacuate Miami-Dade alone.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
NAM model (North American model) which is a short range mesoscale model which has a fairly good track record seems to keep with the GFS on an easterly solution. Although at this point the difference between the models is less than 75 miles effectively making them the same.... bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom