Hurricane Irma

21stamps

650,000 ordered to evacuate Miami-Dade alone.

You lived there, you know how far south it is. Where are these people all going to go?
Palm Beach County, Broward County, Dade County (largest group), and Monroe County (entirety- but smaller group). Before this point it's always ONLY been Zone A in all counties at once.
Insanity.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Oh that's good to hear.

Here's my idea, and doubtful that it could be implemented. If you are NOT an evacuee, or coming off a cancelled cruise ship, or a volunteer, or bringing supplies.. then you should not be allowed to enter into Florida until next week.

I'm not even joking. I wish this could be put into action. There are not enough available rooms for the people who are in danger..or the volunteers/suppliers/etc who can help. Incoming tourism shouldn't be allowed.

Technically in a state of emergency the state can restrict travel to only first responders or emergency personnel if needed. I would be surprised if this didn't happen at some point.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh that's good to hear.

Here's my idea, and doubtful that it could be implemented. If you are NOT an evacuee, or coming off a cancelled cruise ship, or a volunteer, or bringing supplies.. then you should not be allowed to enter into Florida until next week.

I'm not even joking. I wish this could be put into action. There are not enough available rooms for the people who are in danger..or the volunteers/suppliers/etc who can help. Incoming tourism shouldn't be allowed.

That's what I've said from the beginning. Don't come, we really don't need you right now. You will strain existing resources that are needed for the folks who will be here long after the storm passes. In a few months, come. That's when we need you (and the taxes you generate). But tradesmen, especially carpenters, come as soon as things clear up. We will have LOTS for you to do.

We are thinking alike. Must be those brilliant minds...

mousehockey37

if-you-see-jim-cantore-in-your-neighborhood-your-going-to-have-a-bad-time.jpg

If he's not there yet... he will be...

worldfanatic

Back in the 60's, Walt knew he was gonna build WDW in a hurricane prone area.
Financially, for the company, this is all part of doing business in Florida.

21stamps

Technically in a state of emergency the state can restrict travel to only first responders or emergency personnel if needed. I would be surprised if this didn't happen at some point.

It should happen immediately. Sorry Disney travelers, if you're already there that's one thing, but at this point please don't go until after the weekend. Think extremely hard about it.
That's what I've said from the beginning. Don't come, we really don't need you right now. You will strain existing resources that are needed for the folks who will be here long after the storm passes. In a few months, come. That's when we need you (and the taxes you generate). But tradesmen, especially carpenters, come as soon as things clear up. We will have LOTS for you to do.

Exactly!!! They still need thousands of volunteers. The volunteers, contractors etc still need hotel rooms.

Suspend tourism for the time being.

donsullivan

Premium Member

This is a key message. If you are scheduled to be here in the next couple of weeks you should be canceling/rescheduling now. This storm is going to leave a mess in it's wake and the communities and all local services as well as cast members need to have their energy focused on recovery efforts. Anyone else arriving for their 'vacation' will just distract from those efforts. I get that you may have been planning this vacation for a long time but this is about people's homes and families and potentially lives- please keep that in mind and don't become a distraction to those necessary recovery efforts.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It should happen immediately. Sorry Disney travelers, if you're already there that's one thing, but at this point please don't go until after the weekend. Think extremely hard about it.

Exactly!!! They still need thousands of volunteers. The volunteers, contractors etc still need hotel rooms.

Suspend tourism for the time being.
Wow I'm agreeing with @21stamps on more than one occasion... I must need an adult beverage hurricane.:p

mousehockey37

I'd imagine that tomorrow after a certain time, a message will come out that if you are going to ride the storm out and are in certain areas, that you will be required to write your name/info on your body somewhere so you can be identified later. I'm sure the message will also go out that once the storm hits a certain point, no responders are going out.

I'd imagine they'd cut power and other services ahead of the storm hitting, to mitigate fires and such from downed power lines.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You lived there, you know how far south it is. Where are these people all going to go?
Palm Beach County, Broward County, Dade County (largest group), and Monroe County (entirety- but smaller group). Before this point it's always ONLY been Zone A in all counties at once.
Insanity.

Gainesville, Orlando, Georgia, and keep going.

Now add to the SE Florida evacuations the big SW counties - Collier, Lee, Manatee, Sarasota, Pinellas, Hillsborough. You're basically trying to evacuate the most densely populated region in the state north. Tampa's population in 2015 was 3.5 million. If that storm comes into Tampa Bay....

There are no hotel rooms available between Tallahassee and Atlanta (unless you want to stay in the Bates hotel) and not many in Atlanta. My daughter just texted me. My niece and her boyfriend are driving from Jax to Nashiville - because that's where they finally found a hotel.

Just saw a report - 75 in Tampa is bumper to bumper.

peter11435

This is a key message. If you are scheduled to be here in the next couple of weeks you should be canceling/rescheduling now. This storm is going to leave a mess in it's wake and the communities and all local services as well as cast members need to have their energy focused on recovery efforts. Anyone else arriving for their 'vacation' will just distract from those efforts. I get that you may have been planning this vacation for a long time but this is about people's homes and families and potentially lives- please keep that in mind and don't become a distraction to those necessary recovery efforts.
While I agree with the premise of your post tourism is also extremely important to the states economy. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Florida who rely on those vacationers for their paychecks. While those cast members and others should be focused on recovery, they can't do this without continuing to recieve a paycheck. If people stopped coming for several weeks in mass that would be doubly devastating for many. I'm not suggesting anyone come now. But wait until we see the extent of the damage to determine when the area can support tourism again.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I'm wondering if that won't happen Saturday. Scott is still calling for volunteers - and I don't think he cares where they come from.

mousehockey37

While I agree with the premise of your post tourism is also extremely important to the states economy. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Florida who rely on those vacationers for their paychecks. While those cast members and others should be focused on recovery, they can't do this without continuing to recieve a paycheck. If people stopped coming for several weeks in mass that would be doubly devastating for many.
It's a catch-22. Florida needs visitors, just not right now.

worldfanatic

While I agree with the premise of your post tourism is also extremely important to the states economy. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Florida who rely on those vacationers for their paychecks. While those cast members and others should be focused on recovery, they can't do this without continuing to recieve a paycheck. If people stopped coming for several weeks in mass that would be doubly devastating for many. I'm not suggesting anyone come now. But wait until we see the extent of the damage to determine when the area can support tourism again.
Agreed, let's see what kind of damage is done before barring the lifeblood of Florida (tourism).
Although anybody flying in there over the next couple days for a vacation needs to have their head checked.

21stamps

Tourism doesn't help the economy after a big hit. The hotels are full of contractors and helpers and peoples who's homes were destroyed or roof and windows are gone.
This is what has happened in the past. Not even 12 years ago.

I'm not saying several weeks of people staying away, but wait until after this weekend and see what the impact does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom