Hurricane Irma

disney4life2008

I don't suppose you read the thread before posting?....

As for Matthew, it poured that morning, the park closed the rest of the day and for the next day. People were miserable with just boxed lunches and no food service. And everyone was lucky to have power. Roads had branches and obstacles. Even though we didn't have hurricane winds, gusts could have knocked out power at any time. Then you're in a hot hotel room with no A/C.

Matthew wasn't a fun time, and it was off shore. Anything closer will be much worse. People who regret the cancellation are delusional if they think they made a mistake.

That is what most people are failing to realize. Custodial and cook cms the ones you don't see are the ones living in Orlando and surrounding areas. If they aren't at work no food or clean up.

I would take this seriously and get as much food as possible.

Lets Respect

People have been posting in this thread reports and pictures of local stores cleaned out of supplies. If anyone thinks they're flying in Saturday and running out for a case of water, they're in for a big surprise.

Oh absolutely. I was thinking that if I was there at WDW as a resort guest and decided to ride this out (which I wouldn't if I could have gotten a flight home) I would have taken some time as early as possible to go to a store and see what I could get. Just because you're on property doesn't mean you can't leave it. The bubble isn't real

21stamps

Worse than Andrew, do you think? Hard to say now, but I remember that one.

That's what every single weather person has been saying. This storm is stronger and larger than Andrew. Unless I'm dreaming, which is possible.lol

AL142016_5W_035_0.GIF

Matthew, as a category 4 hurricane scraping the Florida coast. I'm not sure how you think Irma is going to be so much worse than this, from a Disney World perspective. It's either going to make landfall in south Florida and come up the peninsula, and be a much weaker storm by the time it arrives in Orlando (and even then, Disney World is likely to be west of the worst weather). Or, it will remain offshore as a monster, but far enough away that impacts will be similar to Matthew.

When it stays a category 5 offshore and then makes a hard left turn at Melbourne, let me know.

It's good to be prepared for the worst. But this is not going to be apocalyptic for Orlando. Miami? West Palm Beach? Sure, that's possible. And god bless those of you in its direct path near the coast.

As far as I know Matthew was a Cat 3 when it skimmed Florida, which happened after your photo I thought. Florida did not see any winds that were even close to a Cat 3, A- because the eye was far enough away, B- Because of the side they were hit by, and C- because the storm had weakened after it hit the Bahamas.

I agree with you that Orlando will not be destroyed.. or even close. They'll have damage, but anyone in the south is much better off in Orlando than in their own homes.
I don't know why any tourists from the north would want to purposely fly there this weekend.

Beacon Joe

Oh absolutely. I was thinking that if I was there at WDW as a resort guest and decided to ride this out (which I wouldn't if I could have gotten a flight home) I would have taken some time as early as possible to go to a store and see what I could get. Just because you're on property doesn't mean you can't leave it

That's what I didn't get during Matthew last year with people griping about the boxed meals. They had days of warning, and therefore, days to cancel and get out of town (the sensible choice) or days to stock up. Even without leaving property, guests could have stocked up on fruit and non-perishables at the parks and resorts. Living off of bananas, granola bars, dry cereals, Mickey-branded nuts, and baked goods for 24-72 hours isn't really tough.

5thGenTexan

FB friend posted, I obviously cant verify, but not good.

Friends in FL Travelling!!! A friend in FL reports that I-75 near Lake City -- northbound-- is being shut down because of a trailer with a tall load taking out a bridge.

If you're headed north, get off!

21stamps

Oh absolutely. I was thinking that if I was there at WDW as a resort guest and decided to ride this out (which I wouldn't if I could have gotten a flight home) I would have taken some time as early as possible to go to a store and see what I could get. Just because you're on property doesn't mean you can't leave it. The bubble isn't real

You probably couldn't have purchased a flight home. That's the problem.

21stamps

Does anyone know what happened to everyone on cruises that were cut short?

DCL, did the passengers have a choice to stay at the resorts if they couldn't get home?

I wonder if WDW and DCL would coordinate this.

worldfanatic

That's what I didn't get during Matthew last year with people griping about the boxed meals. They had days of warning, and therefore, days to cancel and get out of town (the sensible choice) or days to stock up. Even without leaving property, guests could have stocked up on fruit and non-perishables at the parks and resorts. Living off of bananas, granola bars, dry cereals, Mickey-branded nuts, and baked goods for 24-72 hours isn't really tough.
I remember thinking the same thing. Those lines for food were terrible. But if they had just prepared beforehand, they could have held out an extra day & avoided that madness.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I hope I can articulate my thoughts without them being twisted lol.

Here's one of my big concerns with Florida being essentially so close to Harvey-

South Florida got hit by Katrina, but then the flooding in Louisiana happened after Katrina hit them. Then Wilma came barelling down on SoFla shortly after. So many crews and funds were in Louisiana that there wasn't as many available crews, supplies, and funds for Florida.

Serious kudos and thanks to all who worked dilligently in Louisiana and then headed straight to SoFla after. Those people were angels.

So now we have the absolute heartbreak and devastation of Harvey. We've all been donating money and supplies to the victims. The government has also been great and is expected to pass more relief at any time.

This country will need so much more besides all of that, we will need it for Florida and potentially for South Carolina. I hope that congress gives more, and I hope all of us who are not a victim of either of these storms try to help where we can.

I'd like to think that many lessons were learned that year.

The Senate earlier today approved an aid bill of $14B, nearly doubling what the House approved earlier in the week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom