Hurricane Irma

Does anyone know if Disney is allowing for trip changes at this point? I'm supposed to be flying in on Monday (clearly not happening) for my 40th birthday but I'm going to just wait and visit in February or March now. I booked this trip through the Walt Disney World Travel Company. I realize that a hurricane warning is required for changes but I'm thinking of flying out to Disneyland next week instead and I'd like to go ahead and get those plans set now. Also, I'm assuming my free dining plan will not be carried over if I rebook for February (?). If anyone has any info that would be helpful. I'm pretty bummed about having to cancel this trip but there is always another time. Stay safe you guys!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just saw this: WDW tropical weather update. You'll find your answers there. Honestly, I feel they should be a little more flexible with keeping the conditions of your original reservation (discount, dining), as long as you're not expecting them to move to say, Christmas or NYE.

Remember Disney these days is ONLY interested in your money, Not your experience as a guest

I'm actually surprised that they don't do the travel insurance or sorry sucker we're keeping your dough shoulda spent that coupla hundred bucks for travel insurance.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Whatever you do, DON'T BE A RUBBERNECKER after the storm passes!!! :mad::mad::mad:
People who "just have to see it" put first responders and utility crews in even more danger than they are already facing. I had crew personnel almost run over by blooming idiots who were so busy looking at the damage that they were paying no attention to the people trying to get critical services restored. Not to mention it took much longer to get power restored because of the fools clogging the streets.
I am retired now so I won't be part of any more storm teams but my prayers go out for both the people in the affected areas and those who come in to help them recover.

I'm anticipating curfews. People don't need to be on the streets after dark.

cosmicgirl

Remember Disney these days is ONLY interested in your money, Not your experience as a guest

I'm actually surprised that they don't do the travel insurance or sorry sucker we're keeping your dough shoulda spent that coupla hundred bucks for travel insurance.

The less people they need to worry about now, the better (and the cheaper). So being flexible simplifies the situation now and it protects future revenue, as people perceive the flexibility as a nice gesture. This is true for any travel company, not just Disney. Passengers are thankful that airlines will allow them to cancel or change their tickets but the truth is that they want to avoid having to rebook people or deal with them if they're stranded, which is much costlier than issueing refunds. In my neck of the woods the biggest charter travel company in the country is getting credit for allowing cancellations for a full refund, when they're mostly trying to keep their most valuable assets (planes and staff) out of the area.

That said, I do wish everyone affected all the best and of course, dealing with this at home is much much worse than having to cancel your vacation or losing your free dining.

LAKid53

Premium Member
All, take this very seriously. I lived in Miami (actually Hialeah) in 1992 when Andrew came in.

That hurricane had winds of 175 mph. It was Cat 5.

No one I knew was too worried because we were far enough away from the ocean and had not lived through any major hurricane before. We figured we would be fine.

It knocked structures to the ground all over South Florida, it tore off part of the roof of our apartment, and electricity was gone for weeks, which was really not too fun in South Florida, in August. The major damage was in Florida City and the Homestead areas, way south, but we got it bad too. Below a few pics.

View attachment 226885

View attachment 226886

View attachment 226887

Stay safe everyone, and evacuate if you're told to do so.

You lived in Hialeah? You have my sympathies.... Across the "canal" from you in Miami Lakes.

SJFPKT

Newest model is out.

Attachments

• IMG_4979.PNG
    IMG_4979.PNG
    83.3 KB · Views: 181

LAKid53

Premium Member
Those departing Saturday should be okay. Those leaving Sunday may have a bumpy ride - try to get out as early as you can. Hurricane force winds extend out 50 miles from the eye - that's the distance from Naples to Lauderdale - or the length of Alligator Alley for those of you familiar with that cursed road...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Latest GFS AND EURO now showing an eye wall miss of Florida and a direct hit on South Carolina. Could be very bad for the Hilton Head Resort and area. Models will continue to change however but this is the first time both main models have shown this at the same time so confidence is getting better. Main determination is speed and when the turn is made. WDW will still feel impact but if eye is in the coast still, the western part of the storm won't be as a bad. Still a rain and possible tropical storm force winds however

LAKid53

Premium Member
Another tip for those of you with pets. If the winds get so high that you need to shelter in a safe interior area in your house/apartment/condo, please put your pet in its carrier. It will help calm your animal and keep it safe if there is damage to your structure. My kitty didn't like it, but she spent the night of Hermine in her carrier sheltered with me in the laundry room.

JohnD

Original Poster
Latest GFS AND EURO now showing an eye wall miss of Florida and a direct hit on South Carolina. Could be very bad for the Hilton Head Resort and area. Models will continue to change however but this is the first time both main models have shown this at the same time so confidence is getting better. Main determination is speed and when the turn is made. WDW will still feel impact but if eye is in the coast still, the western part of the storm won't be as a bad. Still a rain and possible tropical storm force winds however

These are the models.
11L_tracks_latest.png

Note that the NHC latest map shows a turn into S. Florida.
085945_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Alice a

Ugh, please not SC. I live in downtown Charleston in an ailing 150+ year-old house in a part of town that floods when it rains during high tide. The house made it through a civil war, 2 tornadoes, an earthquake and multiple hurricanes, but overdevelopment and this beast might mean it's time has come.

Georgia isn't an option with all the Floridians headed north before us, I guess we will try for upstate or western NC if it comes. Hope it turns far east to miss FL and the southeast.

John park hopper

Ugh, please not SC. I live in downtown Charleston in an ailing 150+ year-old house in a part of town that floods when it rains during high tide. The house made it through a civil war, 2 tornadoes, an earthquake and multiple hurricanes, but overdevelopment and this beast might mean it's time has come.

Georgia isn't an option with all the Floridians headed north before us, I guess we will try for upstate or western NC if it comes. Hope it turns far east to miss FL and the southeast.

Hi neighbor, I'm up here in Mcclellaville SC and this thing scares the you know what out of me. Having gone through Hugo I have seen first hand what these things can do. We had a 17' storm surge @ the boat landing. Have a son in Johnson City TN may make a run for it there if things look bad of us. Let's pray this monster dies a quick death and heads far east of SC, GA, FL, NC. Have been getting things ready, generator, extra gas, will put up plywood on the windows, if its a cat 2 low 3 may hunker down anything else I'm out of here.

JohnD

Original Poster
These are the models.
11L_tracks_latest.png

Note that the NHC latest map shows a turn into S. Florida.
085945_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Reasoning behind the NHC forecast. In summary, the bulk of the models showing it shifting eastward but out of abundance to caution with previous forecasts, the NHC model is also shifted east but not as far. My guess is so that S. Florida doesn't get complacent.

DJCB34cWsAEcp3y

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom