Trip Report Hurricane Idalia, Football and Adventures New and Old

Hello Friends!

My husband (Josh) and I (Heather) just returned yesterday from a great trip and I can't wait to share all of the crazy and fun details here soon!!

IMG_0928.jpg

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
I've mentioned in previous reports that my best friend lives in Lakeland, FL. They were staying in Orlando for the weekend and we planned a special dinner with them for my birthday. We took an Uber to the Waldorf Astoria to have dinner at the Bull and Bear. They were doing renovations to the main restaurant, so they were operating at a different one within the hotel. That was kind of a bummer because the original one is at the top and has beautiful views, but were still excited.

My beautiful best friend of 25 years. We will call her S. Fun fact, my ex-husband is her brother. Some people think it's weird, but we've remained close and her Mom is still a 2nd Mom to me.
3D671B64-7052-4C4C-ABB4-0F1391ADB713.jpg

They had the table decorated.
IMG_1031.jpg

Our waiter came and gave us an iPad with the drink menu on it. We chose a bottle of wine. The waiter came back and said, oh I'm sorry we do not have that one. We chose another and he came back and said they didn't have it. Then we chose a third one....and again, he came back and said they did not have it. At that point, we said why don't you let us know what you do have and we will go from there. He left and the manager came to our table. He apologized over and over and poured us a complementary glass of Rose' and said he didn't know what was going on with the wine, but he was going to get it sorted for us. I so wish I had gotten the name of the Rose' because I'm not a fan of Rose', but this one was so good.

We looked over the menu.
IMG_1037.jpg

We chose to start with the tableside Caesar Salad.
IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Hands down the best Caesar salad dressing I have ever tasted.

After our salads, we had been sitting awhile before the manager came back with a bottle of wine and said that it was on the house and again apologized. Our waiter had still not taken our main meal orders, so when the manager asked if there was anything else we needed, A (S's husband), said we'd like to order our meal. The manager went and sent someone else (not our waiter) to our table to take our order. The manager looked to be in a very serious conversation with our waiter. I did feel bad for him. This was the wine we were given. It was excellent.
IMG_1040.jpg

Our steak was a Delmonico and it was a special they had that was for 2 people. They brought it already cut for us.
IMG_1041.jpg

The sides are large and for the whole table, so we got the lobster mac-n-cheese and the mashed potatoes.
IMG_1042.jpg

This was heavenly!

And for dessert....espresso martinis. I asked for mine to be creamy.
IMG_1043.jpg

Overall, the service could have been better, BUT the manager redeemed that. The food was delicious and the company was superb!

One last picture together, before parting ways for the evening.
IMG_6598.JPG

But we'd be seeing them again soon!

BwlrBry212

We chose a bottle of wine. The waiter came back and said, oh I'm sorry we do not have that one. We chose another and he came back and said they didn't have it. Then we chose a third one....and again, he came back and said they did not have it.
I have the same horrible luck when I order a beer. I can't even tell you how many times I will pick a beer from the menu and the server comes back empty handed and says that they are out of it. I've started pre-selecting my back up plan now for when my first choice is out.

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
I have the same horrible luck when I order a beer. I can't even tell you how many times I will pick a beer from the menu and the server comes back empty handed and says that they are out of it. I've started pre-selecting my back up plan now for when my first choice is out.
The funny part was the 2nd and 3rd bottle we chose were suggested by the waiter. :hilarious:

lindawdw

Aug 31, cont.

Before moving on, I wanted to add my final thoughts about Space 220. I did think it was a cool experience. The first time you walk in, you are looking around and taking it all in. The background music really sets the space vibe, but after awhile, it becomes sort of stale, like ok, I've seen it... now what? The food wasn't bad either, but I am very much not a fan of prix fix dining. I do think it's a great addition to Epcot and we both said we really liked it, but didn't see any reason why we would need to go back. That being said Cam wants to see it, so I'm sure we will be back one more time at least. Maybe we will try lunch with him.
We felt the exact same way!

lindawdw

It sounds like the manager saved the day and really treated you all to a nice evening after the confusion over the wine! Your meal really looks superb. It's so nice that you were able to stay so close with your ex-husband's sister and ex-MIL. Sounds like the perfect birthday celebration.

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
Sunday, Sept. 3rd
Today was the reason this whole trip came together. Since we had taken the Disney Cruise in May, we had no intentions of visiting WDW. But before we even set sail, LSU released their football schedule for the year and the first game was against Florida State and they were playing at Camping World Stadium in Orlando. Josh didn't have to ask me twice if I wanted to make a trip out of it.

We didn't have to get out there too early, so we slept in a bit and had a breakfast reservation at Rix Sports Bar and Grill.
IMG_1048.jpg

I ordered both of new menu items. First up...the Churro Iced Latte.
IMG_1049.jpg

This was sickly sweet. I drank maybe half.

Then the new Chicken Stuffed Waffles. It also comes with potatoes.
IMG_1051.jpg

The presentation is too cute, but unfortunately it was a miss for me. It wasn't that it tasted bad, it is that he nugget inside is precooked and then cooked again in the waffle, so the chicken was very chewy and dry. I would have preferred just having the Mickey waffle. The potatoes were really good.

Josh got a pancake stack. I believe these come with a berry compote, but he's allergic to strawberries, so he had his plain.
IMG_1052.jpg

After breakfast, we went back to the room for a bit while I got ready for the day. S and A were also going to the game.
S actually got her masters degree from Florida State, but of course, she's still a Tiger fan above all! They were staying at the Hilton Tuscany Village. It was right near the Vineland Outlets. It close to lunchtime when we took an Uber over there to meet up with them. It's a really nice resort. We hung out in the courtyard visiting with them and ordered some nachos to split.

IMG_6601.JPG

S and A had friends (Florida State fans) also going to the game, so we met up with them for a last minute tailgate before the game. This was thrown together about 9 pm the night before so the tailgate was literally just us hanging out under a tent having drinks and chatting. The guys weren't thinking that after so many hours, we'd be hungry, so on the walk over there S and I stopped at the McDonald's and bought 10 cheeseburgers. 😂 They thought we were crazy, but you better believe they all got eaten and they were happy to have them. They even said we should have gotten 20!

It took awhile to get into the stadium. It was very unorganized and no one seemed to know where to go, but eventually we did get in. The blimp was flying overhead.
IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

LSU band pre-show!
IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
IMG_1075.jpg

And this was the last time we looked happy during the game. We got smoked!! It was an embarrassment actually. Especially since lost the first game of the season to them last year. Being in Florida, it was definitely like being at a Florida State home game and as we were leaving the stadium they were sure rubbing it in with their constant tomahawk chop.

On a side note, being a Braves fan, I kept catching myself chanting with them and would have to reel myself back in LOL...wrong game Heather!

But yes, we lost, but thankfully we haven't lost one since! One last picture of the halftime show.
IMG_1076.jpg

Florida State did a Disney halftime in celebration of the 100 years of Disney. It was cool. Then this past weekend LSU did a Disney halftime show. So I'm wondering if it's something to do with Disney and ESPN that all the schools will be doing it. It was the same songs and everything.

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
It sounds like the manager saved the day and really treated you all to a nice evening after the confusion over the wine! Your meal really looks superb. It's so nice that you were able to stay so close with your ex-husband's sister and ex-MIL. Sounds like the perfect birthday celebration.
He really did.
I am very grateful we have stayed close over the years. Josh and Cam are family to them also.

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
LOVE your shirt!!! We've gone to 2 bowl games at Camping World and really enjoyed them. Granted part of the enjoyment was our team won. Now that I think about it we saw LSU play Notre Dame (ironically with your current head coach-I won't say his name 😡)....oops sorry 🤪😬
Thank you! I found it at a local boutique here and loved it.

I'm glad your outcome was better than mine. The stadium was much smaller than I anticipated. I'm not sure what I think of BK just yet, but so far it seems we are doing alright. LSU fans are nuts when it comes to coaches. One loss and they want them fired. 😂

Next year, the first game of the season is in Las Vegas against USC at Allegiant Stadium and we've already got our room booked. This will be our first time in Vegas.

k8einwdw

FLSU released their football schedule for the year and the first game was against Florida State and they were playing at Camping World Stadium in Orlando.
Fsu Seminoles GIF by Florida State University

On a side note, being a Braves fan, I kept catching myself chanting with them and would have to reel myself back in LOL...wrong game Heather!
Fun fact: The Braves started doing the Tomahawk Chop after Deion Sanders, who played football and baseball at FSU, joined the Braves.

joshsprincess921

Original Poster
Fsu Seminoles GIF by Florida State University

Fun fact: The Braves started doing the Tomahawk Chop after Deion Sanders, who played football and baseball at FSU, joined the Braves.
They did have the horse there and did the spear thing which was really cool.

That is a fun fact. I did not know that. I was a kid when I started following the Braves, but Deion was on the team and they were already doing the chop by then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom