Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

JohnD

Way too early to worry about this as no one really knows what its real track will be and what strength it will be if/when it reaches Florida. Also, hurricanes rarely effect the center of the state.
FYI - do not Google 2004 Florida hurricanes. ;)

I live in FL. I remember 2004 all too well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bodies of water all over Central FL? I took the 417 Greenway toll road going to WDW in my rental and one of the bridges on the 417, near MCO I drove on, all I could see was homes right at the water edge half way underwater a few years ago and that was from a tropical depression not even a Cat 1.
Retention ponds aren’t the same.

I have a friend who’s a hirer up at CHUBB

Trust me…they’re not paying out for $450

Insurance is for profit.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
lol…they havre zero threat of flood
Many people who live inland unfortunately learned the difference between falling and rising water when it came to damages. And, as noted, Florida (and most other areas) still have lakes, rivers and ponds that can overflow unto their property during heavy rains caused by hurricanes when they move inland.

Flooding is not limited to shorelines.

fotofx

Twice I have done Disney during hurricanes. Both times staying at Fort Wilderness. First time we ended up parked in the MK lot with a bunch of other RV's that they evacuated from the Fort. We were offered rooms at All Star but it turned enough we just stayed in the MK lot for the night and were let back into the Fort. Second time we were given rooms at Wilderness Lodge and parked in their lot. This was the one that really made a mess of the Fort and they did not reopen for over a week.

The Mom

Premium Member
My friend in Central FL pays $450 annually. I imagine it’s more expensive near the coast.
Still under $1000 for us - but we're almost 20 miles inland. Our downhill (hill is a relative term - maybe slope is better) neighbors flooded during the last two hurricanes because there is a creek running through a park at the end of our street.

My son was living in the Midwest at the time and called to ask if that was really "his" footbridge in the national news footage. Yes, it was. And a riverfront park about a mile away had whitecaps IN the park.

1663942933653.png

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Many people who live inland unfortunately learned the difference between falling and rising water when it came to damages. And, as noted, Florida (and most other areas) still have lakes, rivers and ponds that can overflow unto their property during heavy rains caused by hurricanes when they move inland.

Flooding is not limited to shorelines.
Well aware, Mom…

But follow the money. Insurance companies crunch more numbers than banks.
They don’t take legit risk on the cheap

Ghostdog

Arriving Tuesday, fingers crossed that a miracle happens and this doesn’t affect our trip too much. It’s just a wait and see right now; weather changes everyday. We’re scheduled to be at HS on Wednesday and just hoping that by Thursday it’s all clear and the weather is better because we have tickets to MNSSHP.

The Mom

Premium Member
I live in FL. I remember 2004 all too well.
I have also lived through two weeks without power in FL heat. I am much better prepared now. A portable generator (5500 so will cover the essentials), and better supplies. While others are buying toilet paper, bread, milk and water, I'll be buying more booze and snacks.

48 hours out I fill up all of my gas tanks - car and portable then get ready to ride out the storm. 24 hours out I make sure all of my phone chargers and my computer back-up battery are ready to go, and put the window A/C in our "storm" room where we will spend most of our time.

My next door neighbor - who is more family than neighbor- has a full house generator, gas cooking and water heater, and a well.

I would only evacuate if a Cat5 was going to make a direct hit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom