Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Touchdown

Original Poster
The forecasters are “optimistic” here

…the water is way too warm…160+ mph storms are gonna be churning past Florida from now until it’s a snorkeling lagoon
It all depends on how quickly it makes its curve to the NE, the slower this happens the more north this storm will hit and the bigger it will get. It’s accurate intensity based on a Ft Myers landfall, it will be a monster if it’s a Tampa landfall.

Lilofan

It all depends on how quickly it makes its curve to the NE, the slower this happens the more north this storm will hit and the bigger it will get. It’s accurate intensity based on a Ft Myers landfall, it will be a monster if it’s a Tampa landfall.
One may regret not getting flood insurance in this situation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep…it’s a game of inches and speed now.

Good thing we have advanced radar and computers…
Cause alot of people in “gods waiting room” would be called in if we didn’t know what we do.

Lilofan

Yep…it’s a game of inches and speed now.

Good thing we have advanced radar and computers…
Cause alot of people in “gods waiting room” would be called in if we didn’t know what we do.
Governor Scott of FL a number of years ago gave some good advice. In a news conference he advised anyone that does not mandatory evac in affected areas, write your social security number on your arm. It will be easier for authorities to identify you.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
For a cat 4 last year I slept with an ax and crowbars next to the bed to break out the roof if necessary. That was a first. Florida should be 2. Hopefully it's just a rainy day in Orlando.

ETA: we did evacuate *to* Florida when apparent home power recovery would take a while. It was nice to see lower crowds. I wouldn't really be scared off making August and September plans, Maybe just add travel insurance.

Touchdown

Original Poster
For what it’s worth the European model (which has been the most accurate lately) has this tracking further east quicker with it hitting near the southern tip of the peninsula on Tuesday as a weaker storm, and all models have been moving more east (the GFS yesterday had this thing hitting Louisiana.). Let’s hope the trend continues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We learned years ago to never ever ever under any circumstance consider the month of September for a WDW vacation. Two close calls years ago, and that was enough to scratch this month off permanently for future trips. Everyone be safe down there this weekend.
…what about “free dining”? 🫢

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For what it’s worth the European model (which has been the most accurate lately) has this tracking further east quicker with it hitting near the southern tip of the peninsula on Tuesday as a weaker storm, and all models have been moving more east (the GFS yesterday had this thing hitting Louisiana.). Let’s hope the trend continues.
That’s a good thing…cause if it went into the western gulf as they first thought…some towns were gonna be “downsized”

Touchdown

Original Poster
We learned years ago to never ever ever under any circumstance consider the month of September for a WDW vacation. Two close calls years ago, and that was enough to scratch this month off permanently for future trips. Everyone be safe down there this weekend.
See I just rent a car (so I can escape) and just watch the noaa forecast very carefully. Fall is just too much fun.

Lilofan

lol…they havre zero threat of flood
Bodies of water all over Central FL? I took the 417 Greenway toll road going to WDW in my rental and one of the bridges on the 417, near MCO I drove on, all I could see was homes right at the water edge half way underwater a few years ago and that was from a tropical depression not even a Cat 1.

Lilofan

Way too early to worry about this as no one really knows what its real track will be and what strength it will be if/when it reaches Florida. Also, hurricanes rarely effect the center of the state.
FYI - do not Google 2004 Florida hurricanes. ;)
That year was bizarre. The weathermen predicted landfall in Tampa, many drove to Orlando to escape the path only of Charley which Charley cut through I-4 and damaged parts of Orlando and Kissimmee.

Touchdown

Original Poster
Way too early to worry about this as no one really knows what its real track will be and what strength it will be if/when it reaches Florida. Also, hurricanes rarely effect the center of the state.
FYI - do not Google 2004 Florida hurricanes. ;)
It’s time to start worrying, FL is in the cone, especially if you live there. It’s time to get water, gas and check your emergency supplies. It’s not time to cancel anything just yet, give it another 48 hours before you do that.

Lilofan

It’s time to start worrying, FL is in the cone, especially if you live there. It’s time to get water, gas and check your emergency supplies. It’s not time to cancel anything just yet, give it another 48 hours before you do that.
The supermarkets , Home Depot supplies will be cleaned out. Get gas early. The gas stations not if but when they run out of gas. Best of luck to all in FL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom