Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

kong1802

You’re ignoring the fact that like @lazyboy97o has stated multiple times. These companies have repeatedly secured funding and rate increases to support infrastructure improvements that they never actually complete.

I know some won’t listen or start attacking the source, but John Oliver has a brilliant segment on exactly this issue. I suggest people give it a watch.

Wow that Sanibel Causeway is destroyed. it's bigger than that one section that broke off initially show on twitter. there's two big sections broken off and a long strip bascially under water...

for locals what was there before this causeway was built? Ferries?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm in a Facebook group about people moving to Orlando (mainly for Disney) and I'm wondering what this storm will do for them. Seems like Kissimmee (a favorite of the group for some..reason) got some really bad flooding from my understanding. Not just flooding on streets but water getting into people's homes.

What do you have against Kissimmee?

xxxyyy

Are you sure they can be trusted? I mean they’re getting blamed for broadcasting that a massive storm that would wash houses away in Florida was coming 🙄

Good to hear…happy for you.
We actually got extremely lucky. So we're thanking all our lucky stars. The Hurricaine passed right over our house, then the eye, then the stronger backside. But what we feared the most was that storm surge and it never came for us. I feel tremendously guilty feeling the relief I feel, watching the aftermath unfold just miles south.

We lost some bits of roof and our entire pool cage according to a neighbor. Same for our aunt's house a few doors down. Our other aunt's house had no apparent damage. But we're all safe, the houses aren't totaled, and we have so much to be grateful for. I don't know how we got so lucky.
good luck, happy for you. I hope you can somehow get your roof handled before there is further damage. I can't even imagine how hard it will be to get things fixed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Br0ckford

what is the hurricane crew? does that include the people working at the restaurants, front desks, etc?
We were at Coronado in the new Tower during Irma.. I will never forget the lines of locals checking in.. they were saying power never goes out at WDW so that is why they are coming.. Most were not from evact zones.. Seems most just wanted A/C for their animals. Anyways one young woman a college program intern was totally on edge at check-in. You can tell she was freaking out.. Mind you, this was a day before Irma was suppose to hit and the weather was already turning a bit.. This intern had the shift until midnight told me when I asked where she is hunkering down, she was leaving town. ( Believe there was a curefew- not sure anymore). She then told me she felt safer driving by herself to GA to her parents after her shift. I was like . I said as a mother, please stay put. Not sure what she did.

Piebald

SmartSelect_20220929_112331_Instagram.jpg
SmartSelect_20220929_112340_Instagram.jpg

ilovetotravel1977

Here in Nova Scotia, we just had Fiona rip through the eastern part of the province and with massive damage to Cape Breton Island. Homes were washed away in the storm surge and flooding. Port aux Basques, Newfoundland was destroyed with the surge as well.

I'm already thinking of winter storms and what we need going forward. These hurricanes/storms (fall/winter) are becoming regular occurrences for us. Hubby has said a generator is our Christmas present to each other this year! I was thinking of those "Hot Paws" warmers you put in your mittens and shoes LOL

erstwo

Heartbreaking. That's a lot of jobs lost indefinitely. Not only can you not get people out there for work at your resort/ restaurant/ hotel/ airbnb, etc. (no road to the island) or customers - you can't even begin to fix the damage to your building(s) until you can get supplies and construction workers out there. Heck - can their insurance adjusters even get out there to cut them a check??
I guess you could boat everything over, but wow.

I posted a link above.. Great live coverage and love the crew reporting locally for Lee Cty area.. Highly recommend.. My home office day is not productive today.

JohnD

Preliminary report from National Weather Service suggests Walt Disney World was largely spared from high wind speeds​

The hourly TWC app showed winds no more than 55mph overnight. Inside AK Lodge, you wouldn't know it. Those walls are solid. Can't hear a thing from outside. If it wasn't for a Flash Flood alert on my phone at 3:30am, I would have slept through the entire night.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wow that Sanibel Causeway is destroyed. it's bigger than that one section that broke off initially show on twitter. there's two big sections broken off and a long strip bascially under water...

for locals what was there before this causeway was built? Ferries?

Looks like before this causeway, was an older causeway...

1664465340925.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom