Huge Monorail expansion?

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
line finalized/decided.

I thought Florida decided already the line path and set a date for the 'high speed train'...I only say this because a local company here had something to do with the contract.

I'm a little bumbed that they chose a jet train and not a maglev.

I always thought that disney was about innovation and invention...you know, being the first in stuff. I'd love to see a maglev line connecting major areas on property.

Costs be darned! Since when did the 'bean-counting attitude' serve disney! :)

Al

I think that we can all safely say that the monorail will be expanded.

If that will be in our lifetime or not remains to be seen! :lol:

stuart

I agree with disneyman23 when he says that disney sould do something state of the art. thats what the monorail was and it is something that is still getting people worked up even now. If there is to be an expansion which i would doubt as much as i would like to see it; i think that disney should do another "first" and do something that has not been done anywhere else. If they do im pretty sure that people will still get worked up over it 30+ years later. And depending how good it was the amount of people using it woudl more than likely justify the money.

it would also be good to see a direct rail link between orlando intl and wdw. it would make getting there a lot easier. though in saying that teh mears shuttle bus has become part of our holiday. lol. how sad. but then wen ur coming from Scotland as long as there is an easy where there im happy.

disneyman23

yeah there has been talks about some sort of direct rail link between orl. international and wdw. i would certainly be up for it, and it would certainly be a major time saver, probably not a money saver though seeing how they would probably charge a pretty penny for the ride

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by cloudboy
What day is it - Friday? I forget on Fridays, is the current mentality that busses are cheaper than light rail and monorail, or the other way around?

Busses are waaaaay cheaper. And much more flexible. Considerign that any parts for monorails are all custom made, you dont even wanna know how expensive this stuff is.

MKCP 1985

Originally posted by disneyman23
how about if disney came up with something brand new, a new form of transportation that would get people around between AK, and MGM, something state of the art that wouldnt necessarily blow the monorail away but something that would be new and different that would distinguish it from the monorail or buses ??

probably not feasible but a fun thought, anyone have any ideas on any possibilities so that monorail expansion wouldnt have to happen

Two words:

SEGWAY!

. . . NOT!!!! :lol:

TTA-ATW

What about people-movers?

Does anybody know why disney does not use the people-movers for real transportation? Monorail expansion would be cool but, I would love to see TTA style transportion all over the park. I could be wrong but i would think a new people-mover system would be cheaper than a new monorail system. It could also be more efficeint economicaly than buses with the increased cost of fuel.

Respect

disneyman23

i suppose the amount of people you could get on that type of transportation, and the speed of it would be the deciding factors but its a good idea, if they could improve on what they already have, which knowing disney they would def do

PhotoDave219

Now i know why tyler stopped replying to these threads....

Long story short: Monorails - as cool as they are - are not efficient, flexible or cost effective. When you are looking at the costs of monorail expansion to equal or exceed the price of a 5th park on property, it might be time to consider that the only place it will expand is on RollerCoaster Tycoon.

Thats One Billion Dollars, folks. Its not going to happen.

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
One BEEEEELlLION? :drevil:

That's all?

I think that is an exaggeration. The Shanghai 30KM route of a Maglev (read: 450 KMH) cost 1.2 billion. And that was a) a lot more track b) a way cooler train) and c)whatever, it just cost that much and whoever is quoting the number is just trying to scare folks away from a good idea.

Sometimes you need to invest in yourself, take that to heart WDW!

:p

p.s. if they were to do that in u.s., like they are considering b/c shanghai took a lot of the initial tech.cost they are saying a 45-50 mile route here will cost 1 billion. So...whomever is throwing around that number should stop guessing so high.

Even at an exorbitant 3 million/ mile cost...you can get yourself a bada$$ monorail system!

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
read the cost.

Yes tyler's cost estimate makes it beyond a billion.

BUT...do we really need an extra 24 trains? I think not.

I'm making a map of what I believe to be the most appropriate pathways. This shall be my weekend pleasure project.

I'd only want the epcot line to be broken up and extended to MGM, and Animal Kingdom. I.e. break the loop at the south west corner and make the trains continue side by side to MGM (yacht and beach club resorts) Animal Kingdom and AKL.

And I'd charge everyone who didn't have a hotel on the line to get access to the train. So, no more freebies...except for GF, POLY, CONTEMP, AKL and Y/BC Resorts.

So there.

Maybe add 3 or 4 more trains. And that's it.

O.k. so maybe its not the hottest of ideas...because there is no train to downtown disney or the water parks...but, I've got some time, I will thoughtfully ponder these ideas. :)

Multiple Notes:

1. The high speed rail panel did decide on the direct Disney route, I forget where I read it but essential the million or so riders brought to the table by Disney and the land usage/station is what sealed it. Look for your vacation packages to include transportation from the airport as soon as the line is complete. (if it ever is) Do a google search and find the story.

2. Disney is always looking at alternate forms of transportation (trains, monorails, boats, busses, teleportation, etc)

3. I would still like to see a boat line between DAK Lodge and DAK.

4. If the monorail expanded I would hope that they would include enough trains to have one come at least as often as they do now, maybe even faster. For stops at MGM and DAK to be added to the Epcot line I would think they would need another 4 trains on that line at least.

5. The peoplemover TTA system is plaqued with problems some from age some from design. Certainly they could update the system for short haul work. (they have one on the table to connect Downtown Disney West Side to the Marketplace).

DarkMeasures

Originally posted by OnWithTheShow

5. The peoplemover TTA system is plaqued with problems some from age some from design. Certainly they could update the system for short haul work. (they have one on the table to connect Downtown Disney West Side to the Marketplace).

That would be my dream come true... A peoplemover in Downtown Disney. It would be useful... to the max. And I don't think boats would do any good there due to the number of people there on a Saturday night.

cloudboy

There are tons and tons of proposals out there for different types of transportation systems. And each one works for a certain set of conditions. So it gets kind of useless to debate which one is more efficient because it is far more dependant upon how the system is laid out and how it functions than the technology behind it.

Of course, many of those technologies are only at the design stage and havn't been built. Which means any company that builds one is going to be a guinea pig. And I would wager that today's Disney certainly does not want to be the guinea pig.

Bus, Rail (Light and Metro) and Monorail are all proven transportation systems. As much as I would love to see some new technology tried (Maglev 2000 hint hint) I wouldn't count on it.

But, and this is only my opinion here, the busses are not going to work forever for them. They just loose their operational efficiency and get too complicated when you get a large resort. It just costs too much. But also kkeep in mind that it is doubtful that any one system will be used - it will definitely be some kind of mix.

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
perhaps...

I would have to agree with CloudBoy's conclusion, or discernment regarding what today's Disney would do.

Its funny watching 'empires' fall, yet knowing the solution to keeping it from crumbling....

Hire me as CEO and an accountant to rein me in.

;)

Actually, all you need is a creative type, and a detail type as a tag team like Walt and Roy were. (A 3rd and 2nd born psychologically)...and it would work IM not so HO.

Disney isn't a business folks, and that's how its being run :cry: Its why a lot of people are complaining....you just can't have a company based on ideas be run as a business.

Anyways, not related to the subject or site really.

P. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Re: perhaps...

Originally posted by paulcmartens
Disney isn't a business folks, and that's how its being run :cry: Its why a lot of people are complaining....you just can't have a company based on ideas be run as a business.
P. :)

Sorry Disney is a buisness it has to be or otherwise it will close.HOWEVER

Creative based businesses should not be run an to a standard business model, otherwise the creativity is stifled and risks so minimised that very little real progress is actually made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom