How would you do this?

captainkidd

So, we're booked at WL in August. We're a family of 5 - Myself, wife, 8 year old son, and twin 2-year olds. My MIL wants to come. Yeah, it'd be tight in the room I suppose, but that doesn't bother us much as we spend most of the day at the park.

WL only allows 4 per room, plus 1 child under 3. If my MIL goes, we'd be 4 per room, plus 2 children under 3.

We could really use my MIL's help, but can't afford a 2nd room at WL, and can't really afford to stay at Grand Floridian and don't want to stay at Fort Wilderness.

Anyone ever broken Disney's per person room policy, and did you get caught?:fork:

happymom52003

:eek: Wow! You must really like your mother in law! I just can't imagine 3 adults and 3 kids in a room together, much less at the WL....those rooms are pretty small.

I can totally understand you wanting her on the trip to help, though. We've had the grandparents along for a couple of our trips, and it was great. But they always had their own room, and they paid their own way.

If it were me, I'd tell her that Disney is strict with their room occupancy, and that while you would love for her to come, you just can't afford another room unless she helps pay for it.

If you want her there that badly, you could always switch to a moderate or value resort where you could afford two rooms.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

:wave:
I agree with happymom52003...you must really like her!

I don't know how much your heart is set on WL, but you may want to look into adjoining rooms at a moderate resort or something along those lines.
I know it wouldn't exactly be cheap, but it'll be difficult to have you all in 1 room...5 alone is a lot, not to mention adding 1 more. So say you have 2 rooms at WL, it'll be way more expensive than adjoining moderate resort rooms.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Eh, I can stand her. We all stayed in 1 room at the Poly last year, and it was fine. I know WL rooms are smaller, but like I said, we spend very little time in the room all together.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Eh, I can stand her. We all stayed in 1 room at the Poly last year, and it was fine. I know WL rooms are smaller, but like I said, we spend very little time in the room all together.

Have you ever been in a WL room? In case you have not, be prepared....there is a HUGE difference in size from the Poly! Huge!!

Upvote 0

Auroragirl

I would check out the family suites in the Value Resorts.... or a Moderate resort. You might even save some money doing that.... AND your MIL can fit into the room.

I know if my MIL came with us on vacation, she would be DEFINITELY getting her own room.... probably at another hotel!!! :lol: j/k

Upvote 0
We once stayed at WL with three adults, two kids. We got a bunk-bed room, and my husband, small daughter and I shared the queen bed, with my son in upper bunk and sister in bottom bunk. If you have one or two cribs for the little ones, you could have MIL in bottom bunk, older kid in upper bunk (or reversed), and you and spouse in bed. It could work!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Did you try calling Disney to see what they say?

Yes - They said there's nothing we can do in regards to the WL, other than upgrading to a Deluxe Suite for $500 per night.

It's a shame. We love WL and really want to stay there, but it won't happen for a reasonable cost. What I don't understand is, we could go stay at Port Orleans where there's a trundle bed but the rooms are only 314 sq ft, but we can't stay at WL where the rooms are 340 sq ft.:confused:

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
We once stayed at WL with three adults, two kids. We got a bunk-bed room, and my husband, small daughter and I shared the queen bed, with my son in upper bunk and sister in bottom bunk. If you have one or two cribs for the little ones, you could have MIL in bottom bunk, older kid in upper bunk (or reversed), and you and spouse in bed. It could work!

Oh, we know it could work. No problems. Our oldest (8) could sleep in the queen bed with my MIL, and the twins each sleep in a crib. That's the annoying part. Disney just won't allow it. Yet they do allow it at Port Orleans where the rooms are smaller.

Upvote 0

Race3qma

family suite

Go the way of the family suite in the long run it will save you money and have twice the room. MIL in and kids on one side and you on the other will be much better. And disney is pretty strict on room occ.:)

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Go the way of the family suite in the long run it will save you money and have twice the room. MIL in and kids on one side and you on the other will be much better. And disney is pretty strict on room occ.:)

No interest in doing the Suites.

If anything, if we have to, we'll switch to the Yacht Club. AAA rates start at $285 per night. That's not the end of the world.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I asked this question earlier this year for a friend in a similar situation. It's a fire code issue and yes, they are strict. Also, she would have to pay out of pocket for meals and tickets b/c you can't add her to a package since she can't be in the room. I say switch resorts or if she wants to come - she can pay for her room. And Bless You - the mere thought of spending a vacation with my MIL in a room that size sends shivers down my spine!! :eek:

Upvote 0

accord99cutie

Premium Member
Oh, we know it could work. No problems. Our oldest (8) could sleep in the queen bed with my MIL, and the twins each sleep in a crib. That's the annoying part. Disney just won't allow it. Yet they do allow it at Port Orleans where the rooms are smaller.
Port Orleans is the same thing isnt it? max five occupancy??? I dont *think* there are any standard rooms that can sleep 6. Isnt it fire code or something? You seem pretty all for this 3 adults and 3 children thing, so Im not sure everyone telling you to do the right thing is really gonna sway your mind at all. But Im sure if Disney did somehow find out that you had six staying in your room, they would not be very happy! Not sure what exactly they would do though!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Port Orleans is the same thing isnt it? max five occupancy??? I dont *think* there are any standard rooms that can sleep 6. Isnt it fire code or something? You seem pretty all for this 3 adults and 3 children thing, so Im not sure everyone telling you to do the right thing is really gonna sway your mind at all. But Im sure if Disney did somehow find out that you had six staying in your room, they would not be very happy! Not sure what exactly they would do though!

Rooms in Alligator Bayou at Riverside have a trundle bed allowing for 5 plus 1 child under 9, which is exactly what we are.

Upvote 0

wdweric2.0

I asked this question earlier this year for a friend in a similar situation. It's a fire code issue and yes, they are strict. Also, she would have to pay out of pocket for meals and tickets b/c you can't add her to a package since she can't be in the room. I say switch resorts or if she wants to come - she can pay for her room. And Bless You - the mere thought of spending a vacation with my MIL in a room that size sends shivers down my spine!! :eek:

She wouldnt have to pay outta pocket, you just wouldnt add one of the 2 year olds to the room reservation. Mom,Dad,MIL,8YO,and 1 of the 2YO. It could work if you wanted but it would get more complicated if you were going to use Magical Express and stuff. Everything else a 2 year old doesn't exsist in the eyes of Disney! HaHa

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom