How to do WDW w/o being touched

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by cymbaldiva
K - so can we discriminate against the extremely lazy who rent one wheelchair to allow their entire party to bypass the lines?

Ya'll feel free to PM me at will if you have any questions about my rants! :)

Peace!

not unless you're willing to risk a potential lawsuit..

:eek:

that's right... lawsuit.. oh wait.. that word is a joke to me now

Dawn S

As for the Disney being for families so I should get past the strollers, if the kid is really young enough to be in a stroller, do they even remember their magical Disney experience? I don't think so!

Just my 2 cents worth! Peace ya'll!!! :)

I've heard this opinion so many times & it drives me nuts. Even my MIL told me I was wasting my time taking my then 6 month old daughter to WDW. No, she doesn't remember it. She also doesn't vividly remember any of the other 15 trips over her 6 years of life to date, but...I have memories of all these trips for all of us via photos PLUS...whether they remember it or not, the twinkle is still in their eyes at 6 months, the smiles still erupt into giggles & it is still an awesome experience for the whole family. In fact, my very best Disney memory is when my 6 month old daughter got "kidnapped" by Eeyore who then took her off to a bench & fed her her bottle. It was SO cute. I took both of my children to WDW almost from birth & never had a bad or non-memorable experience. Watching my barely crawling son scoot up to Tigger was the coolest. I can't understand anyone who thinks this is a "bad" thing to do. It drives me nuts when people imply that someone is too young for a WDW trip. :rolleyes:

Dawn S

So basically you're enjoying watching your child with the characters then?

That's a part of it. I just enjoy seeing them in awe & babies are so observant of EVERYTHING & everything is new to their little eyes. They see the world in a way that no child, teen, adult or senior can see it. I mean, a balloon is just the most amazing thing to them, imagine the fireworks, the characters, the music, parades, rides, even the shrubbery! I don't know if you have kids, but I used to watch my babies in utter amazement by looking at blocks! I just love watching them discover & glow over these things. Although children are still amazed by WDW, it's still not like a baby. My infants also LOVED the rides. When my DD was just a year old, she spent 2 hours in EPCOT just staring at the water & a duck...every little detail is worth the trip...

No, it's not just that I like seeing them with the characters, I love seeing the amazement in the eyes of a baby as the most amazing things on earth unfold in front of them for the very first time...things they never even conceived, imagined or dreamt for...

Again, unless you've been in the situation, it's not one you can understand at all.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by RobFL
meef

RobFL you can edit your posts all you want....
I have lost all and any respect I had for ya man....
I have heard your "views" on guests in the parks and I cannot believe you are a CM.......and apparently you have a "history" on other disney forums as well..... :mad:

itsalways420

I am new, Hi!

With that over...

I joined this board for the specific reason of posting this.

I can not believe that anyone in there right mind would suggest either banning strollers/wheelchairs or not taking small children when dealing with an attraction designed for children.

I remember a time in this country when people with disabilities were given respect. You helped someone that couldn't walk and you felt bad for them. You can complain all you want about that person getting to go ahead of you in line. But I will bet the world that person would change places with you without even having to think about it.

As far as not taking young children to Walt Disney World. I must have missed something. Isn't this place for KIDS. I don't remember the last time I went out drinking completely but I know I had a could time ( at least I think I did ). What difference does it make if the child remembers the experience if they had a good time while they were there.

I have personally been to WDW dozens of times and you know what,?, I can't remember once getting run over by a stroller or wheelchair. What I do remember is a bunch of immature people at WDW without children using vulgar language and pushing inline. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE IS WHEN THIS PERSON STOPS FOR NO APPARANT REASON. This is a constant source of frustration for me. No wonder you idiots are getting hit by strollers. Do you stop your car in the middle of the expressway? NO! Why would you stop walking in the middle of moving crowd. ( Calm Down the Turkey Leg People will not sell out go to a bench and check your map )

Sorry to be so abbrasive in my first post. I just can't believe that the question of strollers and whellchairs would be a source of argument. You would have a lot more fun if you just enjoyed the park. Stop looking for things to complain about. Why not look at how happy the child in that stroller is and realize that no one is chasing you down and trying to hit you. Deep Breath In......Deep Breath Out.....etc.....................ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz CALM DOWN!!!!!

Sketch105

I'm just gonna say this:

Don't assume anything. Just go on with your life. Its not worth hating something you won't understand.

Not every disability is seen with the naked eye.

Its the people who abuse the privileges that make everyone else look bad, I.e. people without disabilties who rent wheelchairs.

epcot71

ok i have been to disney before and after kids.keep in mind its not strollers that are the problem-its people who r the problem.first off we have to just realize this is the worlds largest family destination so u will have kids and yes strollers.i have had my ankle bumbed here and there and most people do apologize-the ones who dont are the problem-these rude people would do something to ________ u off with or without strollers-so lets put the blame on the problem-rude people.also what about the guests who stop right in front of u and then blame u for hitting them????? i use a stroller at wdw and will continue to do so and if i bump into someone i will apologize even if it the other persons fault
also for those who hate strollers must not have kids-try holding ur kid for 10 hours in the heat and then see how fast u run to rent a stroller

:D :D :D

Invero

Okay... I'm going to add my two cents to this topic...

During my career, I've seen all types of guests. I've seen the guests with the compact foldaway stroller, that can board a bus or a monorail quickly, because they're organized, and prepared. I've also seen the guests with the jumbo stoller that wait till the last minute to get everything together, folded, and take forever to board the bus because they are so unorganized. Now, I am just as friendly to both parties, however, I greatly appreciate those guests that are organized, prepared, and think ahead. As such, I'll be more than likely to do something extra for them. (ie: a Bus Driver card for the little kids, or something like that)

On the topic of guests travelling with wheelchairs, or guests that may need special assistance... In this department, I've seen it all as well... I've seen guests using wheelchairs for shopping carts... (and while I understand that some folks might use the wheelchair as a walking aid... this wasn't the case)... I've seen guests (admittedly) use wheelchairs for strollers for able-bodied kids... I've seen guests who legitimatly need an ECV, get out of the ECV, sit down on a bench, and let thier 8yr old grand son drive the ECV as a toy. I don't think I need to remind anyone that they are not toys by any means.

On the flip side, I've also seen guests traveling with wheelchairs that preferred to get out of the wheelchair, decline the lift, and struggle with the bus stairs... just because they didn't want to inconvenience me, or perhaps, they wanted to be like everyone else. I have guests all the time who travel with thier own mobility device, or use rented mobility devices. And they have them because of a legitimate medical reason, whether it be apparent or non-apparent. I'd say most people use mobility devices because either they need them, or it makes travelling through the parks easier for them. But unfortunetly, there are those folks out there who abuse the system, and it's those folks that I get upset with... not those who have legitimate reasons. At any rate... I always treat my guests using mobility devices with the utmost respect, and friendliness, and I try to accomodate them as best I can.

Now... I do have a few more things to say on this topic... and I'm hoping that I won't get flamed about this...

I do understand that guests with disabilities should be given every oportunity for a magical vacation that everyone else gets... and maybe even some special treatment to add that extra magic. I also understand that there are situations that may need special accomodations. That's fine. But is there such a thing as accomodation going too far?

I know a common frustration for guests is that other guests travelling with mobility devices and thier parties would get instant access to rides, bypassing all the lines. In response to such frustrations, Disney has started to make a lot of queue lines fully ADA accessible, so that the guests wait thier turn just like everyone else. While most people that I've encountered (Both able-bodied guests, and guests with disabilites) agree that it's only fair, I've heard from a bunch of guests that wish it was back to the way it was, simply because they think WDW should bend over backwards for them.

One situation I had when I worked in Monorails... I had a family of four up front... 2 parents, and 2 little kids. I was about to leave, when a family came running up the ramp, so I held the train. They came all the way up front, stepped right past me, got into the cab, and demanded that the other guests get out. (Mind you, these guests had already waited 2 trains to get in the front) Thier reason? Thier son was part of the Make a Wish Foundation. Now don't get me wrong... I will go out of my way to accommodate Make A Wish kids, and try to make thier vacation a memorable one. I think the Make a Wish Foundation is a great organization. However, It does not give one the right to kick someone out of the front cab... They need to wait in line, just like everyone else. I'm not being mean, in fact I tried to be as cheery nice and friendly as possible when handling this akward, delicate, and strange situation. As it ended out, the guests who had waited 2 trains already, got out voluntarily... and waited for another train.

Unfortunetly, when dealing with ADA... it's a very very very delicate situation... and sometimes... you just have to bite your tongue, and accept what's going on, even if you may not like or agree with it. Me personally, I don't let the abusers get to me... rather, I take that energy, turn it into positive magic, and feed it back into creating the most magical vacation for those who deserve it. :)

Dawnie

I'm not gonna get involved in the "debate" going on here but I just wanted to say this.

Tyler - people like you are the reason that WDW is such a magic place for everyone.

Mulan208

Strollers/Wheelchairs

:confused: To person who feels that the only reason to rent a wheelchair is If you get hurt, are suffering from heat exhaustion or are old, not to sound nasty BUT

My 17 year old daughter recently underwent her second major spinal operation (9 hour operation) and missed her entire senior year of High School. She was on home instruction, passed all her regent exams and got into college. We are going to disney next week as a gift for her. The only way her doctor will allow her to go is if we rent a wheelchair for her. Looking at her (except for a slight lean) you would not know that she has a problem. So just because someone doesn't look like they need a chair or doesn't meet this persons standards for a wheelchair doesn't mean they don't need one. I really am sorry I just had to get this off my chest, because when we went after her first surgery people always stared at her thinking we just rented it to get special attention. In fact she said she didn't want to rent one, so that someone who really needs it would have it.:wave:

CmdrTostada

third reason was for people who could walk around but couldnt walk around all day through the whole park, that was the third reason which wasnt just for old people, I used that as an example.

Im sorry for the confusion.

CmdrTostada

I edited the original post. I didnt mean it to be just old people, but thats just how it came out in text. I probably should have said, "...like old people".

Sketch105

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

One situation I had when I worked in Monorails... I had a family of four up front... 2 parents, and 2 little kids. I was about to leave, when a family came running up the ramp, so I held the train. They came all the way up front, stepped right past me, got into the cab, and demanded that the other guests get out. (Mind you, these guests had already waited 2 trains to get in the front) Thier reason? Thier son was part of the Make a Wish Foundation. Now don't get me wrong... I will go out of my way to accommodate Make A Wish kids, and try to make thier vacation a memorable one. I think the Make a Wish Foundation is a great organization. However, It does not give one the right to kick someone out of the front cab... They need to wait in line, just like everyone else. I'm not being mean, in fact I tried to be as cheery nice and friendly as possible when handling this akward, delicate, and strange situation. As it ended out, the guests who had waited 2 trains already, got out voluntarily... and waited for another train.

I'm behind you Fantasia Boi. Being a restaurant host, I've met many senile guests who believe they should be treated better than everyone else. I've had to move people up on waiting lists because they stand in front of me and intimidate me with their angry dispositions, while people who on top were still waiting. I can relate to your situation. I see no right that anybody (disabled, able-bodied, or Make-A-Wish) has in pushing people off a monorail because they think they're special. While I do believe that certain disabled guests should be given something special to make their vacations more enjoyable, I do not believe they should force people to bend over backwards for them.

You are true role model as far as cast members go. I really wish I had your patience and understanding for all the unreasonable people that I meet. It just irks me that some people are so naive to their own superiority complexes.

It's this small percentage of selfishness in the Disney going and mainstream community that I find appalling.

and please: Tip your waiters 15%!:wave:

cymbaldiva

Okay, I think I've finally figured this out - No one here is saying to ban strollers & wheelchairs (where'd that one come from, anyway? ) or that they are all bad, evil, unnecessary, etc. I personally am fussing about the few - ya'll know they're out there- that abuse the system. I have no problem with strollers, I have a problem with the people that ram me with them and then b**** at me for being in their way. And my only gripe about wheelchairs was the time I definately saw the rental privilege being abused. I guess for me it just all boils down to a gripe about a very few people who are inconsiderate to others around them.

wannabeBelle

Hey there All!! Just to add my two cents. I thought that the ADA act was to make it possible for a gust to enjoy Disney exactly the same way anyone else would without creating a physical hardship to do that. I also thought that a CM told me once that the ADA actually promotes having people wait in line "just like everyone else" if those lines are accessible!!! Tyler, as per usual you are wonderful. and I happen to agree with you. If a guest is in a wheelchair, ECV, whatever, certainly some courtesy should be extended, however that does not give them the right to jump in front of anyone. One lady I know told me she didnt have to make reservations for anything including Cinderella's Royal Table because her son is disabled and she will get whatever she wants. I just shrugged and dropped it. I think that like any other guest accomodate if you can but dont go so far that you are ticking off other guests. And the next time we are standing in a line waiting with all the regular people, lets take that time to thank God that we are healthy enough to have to do so!!!

dreamer

On my next trip in Sept I'll be thinking of you all as I dodge in and out of the strollers. We'll probably rent a double -- for our 3YO who has epilepsy and for our 5YO to use occasionally when she's pooped. OUr 7,11 and 13 YO will be walking (and probably squawking). I'll be as careful as I can, but might nick one of you if you cut in front of me too fast. And God help you all if my 11YO son is pushing the thing.

BY THE WAY, Somebody keeps harping that the ADA prohibits questioning the validity of someone's disability. I don't believe that's true. Employers do it all the time.

Sure, if someone is missing a leg or weighs 800 lbs that's one thing. But when someone appears normal, I don't think questioning the disability is illegal. Planes require notes for certain meds -- insulin with needles, etc.

wishiwere@wdw

Originally posted by Dawn S

I've heard this opinion so many times & it drives me nuts. Even my MIL told me I was wasting my time taking my then 6 month old daughter to WDW. No, she doesn't remember it. She also doesn't vividly remember any of the other 15 trips over her 6 years of life to date, but...I have memories of all these trips for all of us via photos PLUS...whether they remember it or not, the twinkle is still in their eyes at 6 months, the smiles still erupt into giggles & it is still an awesome experience for the whole family. In fact, my very best Disney memory is when my 6 month old daughter got "kidnapped" by Eeyore who then took her off to a bench & fed her her bottle. It was SO cute. I took both of my children to WDW almost from birth & never had a bad or non-memorable experience. Watching my barely crawling son scoot up to Tigger was the coolest. I can't understand anyone who thinks this is a "bad" thing to do. It drives me nuts when people imply that someone is too young for a WDW trip. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reassurance.:) We are meeting some criticism as well. Personally, I cannot wait to spend 5 days with my then 6-month-old son this December. We have common sense, we are organized, and yes, we know how to operate a stroller. This is part of being a family and part of having kids. And what better place is there to experience this?! Personally, I've never been bothered by strollers/wheelchairs/etc. on any trip in the last 4 years. As a guest, you cannot focus on crap like this because it will ruin your vacation and do nothing but create anger. This is along the same lines as being ticked off about the cutbacks and closures of certain attractions. Crap happens. What can you do?

westie

Original Poster
Jeezycreezy!

Now look what I've started! Allow me to apologize for starting this disney insurection but, my original post was regarding me getting bumped by the Brazilian Mafia (Gooaall!!) and whipping out the tattoos to scare them away, espescially from my kids. The strollers and wheelchairs and those harley things, well you'll just have to take it on a case by case basis. You know who you are!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom