How to do WDW w/o being touched

Quentin Disney

Originally posted by RobFL
Strollers i think should require a height check.. too tall and you're walkin kiddo.

I hear ya. I sometimes do Strollers at MGM (a.k.a., the least enjoyable part of my role in Merchandise) and there are just some kids that are too big for strollers. In a perfect world, having a height check would be a great way of keeping the strollers from wearing out more, but in reality that could open a whole can of worms. Then you would have parents get upset if junior is too tall to ride.

As for the ECV/Wheelchair issue, We can't wave a magic wand and decide if someone is fit enough to walk around. Having to make a judgement call on who and who shouldn't rent these things is not only bad guest service, but it could slow the line.

Personally, I feel that a while there are certainly folks that do NEED to rent these (i.e; Morbidly Obese, those w/ cancer, Pregnant Women) some do not. I'm not going to point those out, but you know who they are.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Ok, RobFL...I think your basis of opinion may be a bit uneducated, and surely is out of line. To prove that, I'll give you an example.

My fiancee's father has Crohn's disease. Because of this, they have had to do multiple surgeries on his abdominal area. He can walk most short distances. (Car to tram, tram to gates, gates to attraction.) However, when you are walking ALL DAY and your solarplexus are in an already weakened state, then you tend to get tired quickly, because your body has to work at least twice as hard to move the body in the same manner as you or I.

To alleviate this, he uses a wheelchair. True...no presciption says he NEEDS it, but it makes it easier and less painful on him, and he can keep speed with us, resting while we go through the parks as we push him along.

And don't even tell me not to give you grief for coming down on somebody that needs a wheelchair to enjoy life the same as you or I. Until you've been in that position, I suggest you shut your yap. Any further posts that are discriminitory in any way will be reported.

Thank you.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I find it very sad when you aren't willing to help a handicapped person out a little bit. They have been through enough hardships in life, and you have to act like that and throw a fit in return?

That's adult.

TURKEY

My opinions on everything:

1. People that have a wheelchair, ECV, stroller (WES) should be respectful and remember that they don't have the right of way all the time.

2. If you have a WES, don't try and go into the ODF stands that have a roped off line if you have another person in your party. You can sit behind the rope and still order and not create a big mess of negoiating traffic.

3. If you have a WES and have another person in your party, get them to order for you at a quick service restaurant. If not, go to a handicapped accessible register.

4. People that don't need a W.E., then don't get one. There are enough people that do.

5. If you have a WES and can manuver without it, park outside a ride and walk the que and back out.

STGRhost

I find it very sad when you aren't willing to help a handicapped person out a little bit. They have been through enough hardships in life, and you have to act like that and throw a fit in return?

Rob isn't talking about descriminating against handicapped guests! He's saying that he shouldn't have to argue with people about the policies Disney has him enforcing, nor should he simply cave when any guest using a wheelchair insists on doing whatever they want. The point he, and I, and others here, are trying to make is that not EVERY guest at WDW using a wheelchair is handicapped, or even close, and that often THESE guests are the ones abusing all of the special assistance Disney has in place to help guests that need it.

You said yourself that your future father-in-law has to use a wheelchair. As a reasonable ADULT, you (and he) already know that you need to expect that you may need special help in certain instances, and you probably research ahead of time when traveling to places like WDW to make sure you'll be able to get the help you need. CMs don't have any problems with people like that. We LOVE people like that! What we don't like, and have little tolerance for, are the people who abuse the system.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I was coming down on him for thinking that people that can make it to one attraction can make it to them all....just because they can walk seemingly okay for awhile, doesn't mean anything for a lot of people out htere. A lot need help to go all day, and even the people who try their best to fight it succumb to it eventually.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
RobFL,

quick word of advice... the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) prohibits you from questioning a guest on the validity of their disablity... so don't go asking for a Doctor's note. You may find yourself out of a job and in a lawsuit faster than you can say Cochran

dreamer

If you give people an inch, they will take a mile. That will never change. They'll run over you to do it, too.

Rob, I hope the turkeys aren't getting you down. They will never stop coming. They will ignore any rules you try to make. Just try to do your job the best you can and try to teach guests to laugh it off with you.

Sometimes when I was about to lose my cool over an inconsiderate a%$ole, seeing the example of someone who had a good attitude helped turn me around and keep things in perspective. People like that can make my day.

Disney already has an incredible list of rules. I don't know if more rules will solve this problem. It might be better to try to find some lines to help keep the offenders at bay in a light-hearted way.

:p :lol: :p :lol: :lol: :p

Dawn S

I'm not even opening my opinionated mouth. Sometimes, it seems that people just hang around waiting to pounce at the first sign of movement. Oh well, nothing can be done about that I guess. Just gotta learn to overlook it.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I wasn't trying to start WW3 here.....Rob made a statement about people not really needing wheelchairs, and I made a valid statement and used and example of why you cannot just assume that at any time.

He then flamed me.

I just didnt' appreciate when somebody like him makes assumptions about people's lives just because he is a CM. That doesn't mean you are an expert in health.

cymbaldiva

Dang Ya'll - this has gotten so out of hand!

I think ( from a guest's standpoint, anyway) that what people are fussing about is when you're waiting in a really long line and it's soooo hot, and a rented wheelchair - and their party of 8 or so- breeze pass you in line. Then, a bit later, you're sweatin your a** off in another really long line, and same party of 8 or so passes you by, only this time, someone else is in the wheelchair! And still later on when you encounter them, they're having wheelchair races!

As for the truly handicapped...it reminds me of one of my worst Disney moments ever. DH and I are in line for the Carousel, and we have to wait because this really handicapped boy was being assisted onto the ride (no, this isn't what made me mad) - It was so amazing to watch, he was so disabled, yet he was so thrilled to be on the ride - it was really a teary moment! What made me so mad was that while the CM's were helping him, these trashy redneck girls jumped over the gates to ride anyway! I was so mad!!!:fork: How could they!!!!

As for the Disney being for families so I should get past the strollers, if the kid is really young enough to be in a stroller, do they even remember their magical Disney experience? I don't think so!

Just my 2 cents worth! Peace ya'll!!! :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Well, like i said...my father-in-law can walk short distances, so he stands in line...but just cannot walk from attraction to attraction. So we ask no favors. We just want him to be able to survive the day to enjoy it as much as us :)

CrashNet

Originally posted by mktiggerman
RobFL,

quick word of advice... the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) prohibits you from questioning a guest on the validity of their disablity... so don't go asking for a Doctor's note. You may find yourself out of a job and in a lawsuit faster than you can say Cochran

Glad you said it before I did. Remember the part of your application that said "Walt Disney World Corp. does not discriminate against age, race, gender, religion, or heritage when reviewing individuals for employment?" It is along the same lines; in this case, however, it involves potential customers, which is even more important. It doesn't matter if they absolutely have to have it. Seniors don't HAVE to have wheelchairs, but it helps them get around so they can enjoy the parks as much as you and I do (both the same age). Even obese individuals need a way to get around the parks without having to worry about constantly sitting down to take breaks. Being as hot as it is in Florida only makes it worse.

If I get hit by a stroller (and its probably because I'm from the South), I actually think I would overlook it. Now if I was creamed, I might say something. I'll agree, some people don't pay the least bit of attention when it comes to where they are going. If they payed a little more attention, I might not have to worry about getting MY OWN wheelchair.

cymbaldiva

K - so can we discriminate against the extremely lazy who rent one wheelchair to allow their entire party to bypass the lines?

Ya'll feel free to PM me at will if you have any questions about my rants! :)

Peace!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom