How much does Carousel of Progress mean to you?

How do you feel about Carousel of Progress

• I LOVE IT! And it is a piece of Walt's legacy.

Votes: 102 76.7%
  • It's a good show.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I really am not sure.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • It's okaaaaaaaaay.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I do not like it, it's boring.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I liked it but would prefer something new.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I've never seen it.

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

General Grizz

brisem said:
Put aside your thoughts about it being outdated or not. Try thinking about what CoP stands for.
When your in school (or was in school) you had to take history. All history was , was to show you how you got to this point or what events lead a country or in this case a company to get to where they are.
That's what CoP is. This is Walt's history lesson to all of us. Where we were to where he saw us going. When the World's Fair was going on, this was state of the arts.
IMHO, this does belong in Torrowland for one reason. This is about progress--where we were and where we were perceived to go.
Bingo. This attraction actually has meat to it - not present in blasting "Z's" - a vision, but also a set of hosts we can all relate to, and even get a good laugh from.

conntom

I love COP it is so deep in my heart. It is a look back at America at a
kinder time. COP shows the way things were then and now and for me I just love it. It's one of the few rides Walt had a hand on all the way.
I hope it lives forevery.

:xmas:

DiPSU224

I love this attration, not only for it's tradition, but also because it was Walt's dream. I can not imagine being in Disney without seeing COP. Although I never appreciated it while I was younger (I always thought it was boring), I would be so sad if it closed down. Now it's the first thing I hit in Tomorrowland and it just wouldn't be a trip to Disney without seeing it. I understand that everything needs change to keep new generations of Disney fans happy, but something that Walt designed just seems untouchable to me.

Brer Rabbit

I have been on CoP many of times and loved each time. It is a real cool show/ride. In a normal show you would stay in one spot but, in CoP you go around in a circle and that is one of the things that makes it specail to me. And i fthey do get rid of this show/ride i would be sad.:cry: But i would see why they would like i say all the time. Things change and it happens for a reason. They have to go with the time and if they never make a change then the younger generation will not enjoy it as much. Sometimes change is good and sometimes its bad, but it happens and you will have to deal with it even if it hurts. Because CoP is a classic and a fun ride and I will alwaysd rember the good times i had and thats what Walt would of wanted the most, for you to remeber all the good times you have had not the bad.

Lee

Adventurer
I guess I am sort of conflicted about CoP.
Great show...landmark attraction...Walt's favorite....but, 2 things:
1. It needs an update.
2. It's sort of out of place in Tomorrowland now. I propose my idea from a few months back...pick it up and move it to the Wonders of Life pavillion. The show would fit in great in Epcot...WoL (which is toast) sort of looks like Progressland...Heck, just create a new Progressland in the WoL building.

But that's just me.....

TURKEY

Lee said:
I guess I am sort of conflicted about CoP.
Great show...landmark attraction...Walt's favorite....but, 2 things:
1. It needs an update.
2. It's sort of out of place in Tomorrowland now. I propose my idea from a few months back...pick it up and move it to the Wonders of Life pavillion. The show would fit in great in Epcot...WoL (which is toast) sort of looks like Progressland...Heck, just create a new Progressland in the WoL building.

But that's just me.....

Sounds good to me.

It can stay in Tomorrowland for all I care as long as the last scene gets updated. I can't imagine if it closed that it would ever be moved to WoL.

venooch333

This is one of those attractions that should neva be removed!! Im all 4 updating but sum things are best left in there original state!! ;) :king:

bgraham34

I have only ever seen it once. Idont really have an opinion but I do wish to see it again. I liked it just dont know if I loved it.

phlydude

While I will agree that going from 1900 to 1920 to 1940 to mid-1990s compared to 1960s for the World's Fair in '64 is a bit of a jump, it is still a great attraction. I for one enjoy seeing how much we have jumped in technology over the past 100 years. I have only seen it twice (once I don't remember being only 4 and the last time being 2000) since it is open "seasonally". I will be sure to drag everyone in my party in there when we go in Aug. to have them appreciate the CoP as well!

NemoRocks78

Seized
The Carousel of Progress is simply a classic that cannot be touched. It is by far one of the greatest attractions at any Disney park. It could use some updating (especially the final scene) but nothing more.

If management needs to get it out of Tomorrowland so badly just to bring in an updated version of an old Disneyland attraction that most people have forgotten about, they could at least move it to Epcot, where land is available and Walt's legacy will be able to live on.

SirNim

Is there a category more favorable than "I LOVE IT! And it is a piece of Walt's legacy"?

All's I can say is that it better be spinning well into the centennial, and beyond, of WDW... ;)

Michael72688

Do you guys not understand money? Cause Disney is wasting it by running this attraction. For managment it would be a very good idea to get rid of the ride. Just because a few people think its a "Disney Classic" doesnt mean the rest of the world likes it, cause they dont. I'm sorry but they ride should be shut down forever

Expo_Seeker40

For a man who gave us so much, how can we allow "them" to destroy the ONLY ride/attraction that Walt Disney himself told his imagineers to save! He worked on that ride people with his bare hands!!! He designed it, and cherished it. It was his creation, and a marvel. Think about it folks...where else can you rotate sitting down in a theater? Not too many places in the entire world. Even though it's not the original 1964 theater, it's still a genious idea.

Curse all who destory this ride. Michael you're one ungrateful kid. If you hate Disney and its parks sooooo much than stop going! Got to universal, go to six flags! Go scream your lungs out, and get your dose of zero g's.

See, this is where you and many of us differ. You can't except different things. It ALL has to be rollercoasters and big thrill rides. For decades Disney Parks have been the top visited parks from people all around the world. The magic kingdom continues to come in first place, and Epcot comes in second.

I know many out there, including myself know that the Carousel of Progress is in so many ways, shapes, and forms, NOT in the best shape. It hasn't had a sponsor since 1985, let alone recent cut backs in maitenance.

The ride needs to go to Epcot. There is room for it. If Disney is so ignorant to not keep it, than send it to a museum, so it atleast can operate, and function, and continue to "live on".

The day the cranes come to destory the ride will be the day Disney as we know it/remember it will die. How could anyone be so stupid to destory the ONE SIGLE RIDE that this great man, Walt Disney, wanted to keep, let alone a ride he personally designed and built by himself and with his original WED enterprise friends!!!

Shame on you for being so ungrateful, and not understanding a damn thing that Diseny and it's name envokes. You might as well be Michael Eisner's apprentince. Ha go figure you both share the same first name, god forbid you have the same initinals, "ME".

It will signal the downfall of Disney the day the Carousel of Progress dies. Familes and long time disney veteran guests will no longer come to the parks, for these unique, historic, and classic attractions are now being replaced by cheap thrills that you can get at so many other parks, and tons of gift shops, and quick bites to eat. EPCOT Center died in 1999, we can't let the magic kingdom die in 2004. You might as well kick walt disney's grave marker to the ground, or spit on it. Our lives, and childhood would never be the same without him. Just remmeber that, CURSE THE DISNEY CORPORATION THE DAY THEY TAKE DOWN THIS GREAT MAN'S MOST BELOVED RIDE.

General Grizz

Michael72688 said:
Do you guys not understand money? Cause Disney is wasting it by running this attraction. For managment it would be a very good idea to get rid of the ride. Just because a few people think its a "Disney Classic" doesnt mean the rest of the world likes it, cause they dont. I'm sorry but they ride should be shut down forever
We know you don't like it Michael from your three posts. Go ride Rock'n'Roller Coaster. :wave:

General Grizz

Expo_Seeker40 said:
For a man who gave us so much, how can we allow "them" to destroy the ONLY ride/attraction that Walt Disney himself told his imagineers to save! He worked on that ride people with his bare hands!!! He designed it, and cherished it. It was his creation, and a marvel. Think about it folks...where else can you rotate sitting down in a theater? Not too many places in the entire world. Even though it's not the original 1964 theater, it's still a genious idea.

Curse all who destory this ride. Michael you're one ungrateful kid. If you hate Disney and its parks sooooo much than stop going! Got to universal, go to six flags! Go scream your lungs out, and get your dose of zero g's.

See, this is where you and many of us differ. You can't except different things. It ALL has to be rollercoasters and big thrill rides. For decades Disney Parks have been the top visited parks from people all around the world. The magic kingdom continues to come in first place, and Epcot comes in second.

I know many out there, including myself know that the Carousel of Progress is in so many ways, shapes, and forms, NOT in the best shape. It hasn't had a sponsor since 1985, let alone recent cut backs in maitenance.

The ride needs to go to Epcot. There is room for it. If Disney is so ignorant to not keep it, than send it to a museum, so it atleast can operate, and function, and continue to "live on".

The day the cranes come to destory the ride will be the day Disney as we know it/remember it will die. How could anyone be so stupid to destory the ONE SIGLE RIDE that this great man, Walt Disney, wanted to keep, let alone a ride he personally designed and built by himself and with his original WED enterprise friends!!!

Shame on you for being so ungrateful, and not understanding a damn thing that Diseny and it's name envokes. You might as well be Michael Eisner's apprentince. Ha go figure you both share the same first name, god forbid you have the same initinals, "ME".

It will signal the downfall of Disney the day the Carousel of Progress dies. Familes and long time disney veteran guests will no longer come to the parks, for these unique, historic, and classic attractions are now being replaced by cheap thrills that you can get at so many other parks, and tons of gift shops, and quick bites to eat. EPCOT Center died in 1999, we can't let the magic kingdom die in 2004. You might as well kick walt disney's grave marker to the ground, or spit on it. Our lives, and childhood would never be the same without him. Just remmeber that, CURSE THE DISNEY CORPORATION THE DAY THEY TAKE DOWN THIS GREAT MAN'S MOST BELOVED RIDE.
You rock. I like the passion.

Miss Bell

CoP was one of the few remaining things that Walt actually worked on. It's like going to One Man's Dream and seeing his office. The emotional attachment to it alone, is reason enough for me to want it to stay exactly the way it is. I can't imagine updating the last scene, though I know I will get blasted by some for saying so. Tomorrowland is the "future that never was"--why do we have to update that?

On a personal note, this is the attraction that really turned my daughter on to the fact that there was more to WDW than just rides. Not that she doesn't love rides, but I don't think all 12 year olds insist on riding Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress. We were so happy this year when it was actually open, because, of course, it so often is not. I also love the song.

I would be okay with moving it to Epcot, as some have suggested, but I personally think MK often needs it to relieve the crowds.

*steps off her soap box*

wannab@dis

CoP is a wonderful example of the Walt Disney experience. The innovative design (when it was built) and the AA's bring the Disney experience out in a wonderful manner. The theming is what makes it a classic.

I would like to see them rehab it to it's early glory and fix up some of the signs of wear and tear, but would hate to see it replaced.

Michael72688

yes, you are right I dont like it! But all I'm trying to say is I agree with Disney if they decide to tear it down, the ride is never crowded and hasnt done well for I dont know how long. And like I said before I dont only like thrills maybe you all with get that through your heads one day! And for you to say that I am ungrateful is just plain dumb, first of all you dont know me, so you cant judge me, second of all, I wouldn't be ungrateful for not liking a ride that Walt created a million freakin years ago. And finally yes, lets move it to Epcot, lets give that park some more dull, old attractions, thats what this park really needs. If you havent noticed Disney managment is heading into more of an exciting ride way, and I will support them 100%!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom