How Much Do You Usually Spend On Souvenirs At WDW???

OklaHoops

Too much! We buy for us, relatives, friends, acquaintances , strangers, pets and strays! :eek: I set a budget but it only lasts a day before it is broken. We love Disney!:sohappy:

jakeman

That is about the same as me.

Between me and my two kids, we may spend maybe $100. It adds up quickly - 3 or 4 limited edition/AP/DVC pins for me (if any appeal to me) a luggage tag (I always get a luggage tag from where we are staying) and the kids usually get a plush each and a pin or two.

Nothing really seems to catch my eye. However, at times something will, but then it ends up being something that is on the order of $150+ Most of the time I escape, but sometimes not (I am looking at you POTC BigFig and you two sets of Disney Silverware and you hand painted egg from Germany Pavilion among other things)

-dave

About the only place that I will find items that I really want is in the Art of Disney but like most the price keeps me from buying. Also we are simply out of room to display any thing other than wall art in our house. There are about 15 more big figs that I would love to get but I don see any logic in spending $100-$200 on something that will just take up space in my attic.
I think the main problem is the garishness of most of their clothing, especially the men's.

You find what you think is a nice understated shirt and then you turn it around and it looks like Mickey vomited on the back.

I found an awesome Kilimanjaro Safari shirt on my last trip. It was red with a faded KSR logo. I think that was the first shirt I bought in a couple of years.

The wife can usually find more things to buy. We have enjoyed the Trend-D store, but honestly, she has spent more at the Roxy store on PI than any Disney merchandise in the past few years.

The only thing we are suckers for are the David Doss prints. We have followed him ever since we first met him at F&W several years ago. We have more of those prints sitting unframed than I know what to do with.

I've always liked their watches though. I plan on picking a new one up in October.

So there are things there we will buy, but they make it really hard to find with all the "tourist" stuff they shill.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think the main problem is the garishness of most of their clothing, especially the men's.

You find what you think is a nice understated shirt and then you turn it around and it looks like Mickey vomited on the back.

I found an awesome Kilimanjaro Safari shirt on my last trip. It was red with a faded KSR logo. I think that was the first shirt I bought in a couple of years.

The wife can usually find more things to buy. We have enjoyed the Trend-D store, but honestly, she has spent more at the Roxy store on PI than any Disney merchandise in the past few years.

The only thing we are suckers for are the David Doss prints. We have followed him ever since we first met him at F&W several years ago. We have more of those prints sitting unframed than I know what to do with.

I've always liked their watches though. I plan on picking a new one up in October.

So there are things there we will buy, but they make it really hard to find with all the "tourist" stuff they shill.
So very true. Also the quality has dropped. I love the retro Epcot t's but every one I have purchased were made out of a material so thin that it only had one side to it and they shrunk a good size and a half after the first wash.

SAV

Our must haves are an ornament for the Christmas tree and a magnet with the year on it.

My DW usually buys my DS the Disney Matchbox Bus/car with the year on it and my DD will get something similar. I would say we usually keep it near $50 after all is said and done with other family gifts purchased.

steener618

Too much...but thats mostly for the food. :)

I try not to go beyond $100 when it comes to souviners. Usually I get a shirt now. Unlike the past, where used to spend over $400 on random WDW stuff.

foreverbelle

It always depends. I feel like we always say we won't spend so much and then we end up doing just that. We have gone twice in one year and don't spend nearly as much this way. Or maybe its just spread out a little more? :lol:

jakeman

So very true. Also the quality has dropped. I love the retro Epcot t's but every one I have purchased were made out of a material so thin that it only had one side to it and they shrunk a good size and a half after the first wash.
Yep. Disney t-shirt designers really need to take a stroll through an Old Navy.

You slap some faded old school attraction logos (Star Tours, I'm looking at you!) on some higher quality t-shirts (ringer tees), resist the urge to paint the back with pixie dust, and keep the price reasonable (>$20) you would seperate a couple of hundred dollars from me and my wallet every trip.

The faded logo tee has been in style for about 10 years now. I don't know why it makes up such a small percentage of Disney merchandising for men.

They seem to "get it" more or less with women, but men are an enigma (or conundrum?) to Disney.

I don't think that would appeal to just the retro fans either.

fbp

We always spend about $75-$100 on souveniers. A T-Shirt for me, a T-shirt for she, and a picture frame. This year I'll probably buy a CD of park music too!

Where is the best place at WDW to shop for a good park soundtrack CD?

sparkstsa

I always have to buy a Star Wars Weekends t-shirt and a limited edition silver coin. So for myself, about $100 for the week. Now my wife and kids... thats a different story.

yankspy

You slap some faded old school attraction logos (Star Tours, I'm looking at you!) on some higher quality t-shirts (ringer tees), resist the urge to paint the back with pixie dust, and keep the price reasonable (>$20) you would seperate a couple of hundred dollars from me and my wallet every trip.

The faded logo tee has been in style for about 10 years now. I don't know why it makes up such a small percentage of Disney merchandising for men.

They seem to "get it" more or less with women, but men are an enigma (or conundrum?) to Disney.

Ditto. I bought the Jungle Cruise shirt on my last trip and it is practically see through.

I usually spend about $150-$200 (not including food). I generally buy a t-shirt, coffee mug, some clothes for the baby, and a hat.

Phonedave

About the only place that I will find items that I really want is in the Art of Disney but like most the price keeps me from buying. Also we are simply out of room to display any thing other than wall art in our house. There are about 15 more big figs that I would love to get but I don see any logic in spending $100-$200 on something that will just take up space in my attic.

I now make sure I walk out of the Art of Disney, walk around, and think before I buy somthing. It has stopped me a number of times from dropping some serious coin.

In fact, that little policy of mine is the reason that I DON'T own the below, and am about $1,200 richer because of it. (I still want it though :) )

moonlitpearl-1.jpg

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I now make sure I walk out of the Art of Disney, walk around, and think before I buy somthing. It has stopped me a number of times from dropping some serious coin.

In fact, that little policy of mine is the reason that I DON'T own the below, and am about $1,200 richer because of it. (I still want it though :) )

moonlitpearl-1.jpg

-dave
I do the same thing. The big problem is neither my wife or I have any discipline when it comes to that stuff. It is like having a crack addict acting as your AA sponsor. I think if we were ever to come into an insane amount of money Art of Disney would be the one place that we would go nuts. We have this sick fantasy of walking into one and saying "I'll take one of everything"

Animaniac93-98

You slap some faded old school attraction logos (Star Tours, I'm looking at you!) on some higher quality t-shirts (ringer tees), resist the urge to paint the back with pixie dust, and keep the price reasonable (>$20) you would separate a couple of hundred dollars from me and my wallet every trip.

I agree with this 100%.

In addition to "pixie dust" on the back, I'd prefer not shoehorning Mickey/"fab 5" related things onto clothing. I don't want the moon behind The Haunted Mansion to be Mickey shaped for the heck of it. HM is Disney enough for me.

I don't really understand why Disney is so reluctant to sell more men's clothing. Maybe they need to dig deeper into their catalog of imagery to find better inspiration (beyond Mickey, Pooh, Stitch etc) or learn about subtlety?

After Old Navy they could go into American Eagle, Areopostale, H and M etc. if they wanted too as well. Lots of their style of clothing would be great with Disney touches IMO. Just not like the Disney stuff already sold in H and M (the ones that look like Kissimmee outlet mall T-shirt offerings).

jakeman

I agree with this 100%.

In addition to "pixie dust" on the back, I'd prefer not shoehorning Mickey/"fab 5" related things onto clothing. I don't want the moon behind The Haunted Mansion to be Mickey shaped for the heck of it. HM is Disney enough for me.
I agree. So much of their clothing just has that one little thing that makes me go, "Um...no". It usually is something like a Mickey shoehorned in or a garish "2010!!! BEST YEAR EVAR" splatter on the back.
learn about subtlety?
I think this is it in a nutshell. They have no subtlety for the most part.

Figment632

How bout sone simple white or black shirts and each one could have the following symbols one with.

Horizons+logo.png

3043530056_ce17415a0e.jpg

Disneyland-Attraction-Poster-Jungle-Cruise-Rv(1).jpg

space-mountain-poster-1000.png

Disneyfan1981

When I used to go every year I used to spend about $75 more or less. The more time in between trips the more I seem to spend. I probably won't be able to go back until 2011 so I'm sure it'll be in the midlevel hundreds. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom