How does Disneyland differ from DisneyWorld?

Lee

Adventurer
I have been to Southern California a few times but never made it to Disneyland. Is it as good as Disney World?

Apples and oranges. Way too different to really compare resort to resort.
Parkwise, I feel that Disneyland is better than MK.

Any true Disney park fan MUST make the pilgrimage to Disneyland.

freebird

The most noticable difference, aside from the drastically different everything, is that it's in the middle of Anaheim. That's a huge minus. That said, I highly recommend it, because outside of that, it's an overall superior park, except for their Haunted Mansion, which isn't as elite as ours.

kap91

I think the general consensus, without going into a novel (which I could do, by the way) is:

Disneyland's Magic Kingdom is ridiculously better than WDW's(And California Adventure might soon be great too.) having more rides, in most cases better rides, more TLC, better layout, more variety (in the park at least) but as a full destination Florida beats the crap out of the Disneyland Resort. WDW has infinitely more to do (4 parks, 2 waterparks, golf, marinas, enormous amount of hotels, restaurants, campground, dinner shows) vs. Disneyland resort (2 theme parks, a couple hotels and restaurants, smaller Downtown Disney)

Personally, on a pure park by park basis Disneyland Park is beyond my favorite and I'm a native Floridian who has grown up in Orlando. But WDW definitely has more to do overall, you just have to park-hop and travel around to do it.

JoMarch

Both are great!

While on my recent trip to WDW, I heard a man discussing this same subject. He was from CA and was telling a cast member that Disneyland was superior to WDW.

I've been to both a few times. I don't think you can say one is better than the next - and besides, IT'S DISNEY!!!!

Disneyland - There is a certain amount of quaint charm in Disneyland especially since it's the original. I'm not sure if they still serve non-acoholic Mint Juleps...so yummy. I feel their "Fantasmic" is a bit superior without the random "Pocahontas" section...also, the dragon is better in Disneyland. On the down side, leave the park and you're in a smog filled city.

Walt Disney World - You can't compare the overall experience. WDW is it's own universe...and bigger. It's a no-worry vacation with the addition of Disney's Magical Express. There's also so much to go off and enjoy - Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, the Boardwalk...etc, etc among the other little gems tucked away in WDW. And the dining options are also better and there's more of them.

Both are great!

trr1

I havent been to disneyland so I'm not qualifyied to compare the two parks. but i hear that Dl has its good points and bad points just like WDW

DisneyGigi

I have been to both and they are both wonderful. The main thing that was different about Disneyland to me was it feels smaller (it is) and the castle is not as impressive as Cinderella Castle in WDW, but there is a quaintness to it that I love. Plus walking down Main Street and looking at the light in Walt's apartment is really cool. The whole history thing there is great for a Walt Disney nut like me. :)
Pirates is way better there and they have Matterhorn & Indy- I still prefer WDW but Disnyland is a must do for the Disney Fan as Lee said. I can't wait to visit DL again for a longer stay.

the-reason14

Disney World is better.

But something that is weird is that it felt like Disneyland resort had more roller coasters than all of WDW. I counted, and I think the count is the same. I think it feels like more in DL because they only have 2 parks, and WDW has 4, so its easier to get from one thrill ride to another. And Cali Screamin is such a fun coaster, way better than RnRC.

But that aside, yea, WDW is better. Disneyland is a lot fo fun, and its def. worth the trip imo. But something you'll notice is that its in a neighborhood, and its kinda weird because the area in Orlando around WDW is all touristy with discount ticket booths here, and gifts shops there. You dont see any of that in Anaheim, so its kinda weird. No signs saying its right down the street like in Orlando either. It was funny for us because we got lost, and the first thing I saw from Disneyland was California screamin, and Im like, "Oh yea, we're going the right way, Disneylands over there." And its weird because the surrounding area was local neighborhoods.

But it is fun though, being able to walk from ToT to Space mt. or Toy Story Mania to Splash mt. And Disneyland park has so much more to do than the MK does. Its so much smaller, and the bathrooms there are too, but it has so much to do. So yea, in all WDW is better because its a complete resort, but DLR is still fun, and shouldnt be passed up if the opportunity comes.

Wilt Dasney

and Hong Kong?

No, only the rich or obsessed Disney fans have to do all of that. But there is no good reason for any true American Disney parks fan not to make at least one drive to Disneyland at some point to experience the original.
I agree. I'm sure the lack of funds is a factor in my thinking, but I really don't feel any need to visit the European and Asian parks. From a historical perspective (which is one of my main interests), Disneyland and WDW are the most significant resorts and I'm happy to have seen them both.

The other resorts have some very interesting features, but I really don't feel any burning desire to travel to France, Japan or China to see how they do Disney. I think if I were in those places, I'd rather spend more time soaking up the local culture. :shrug:

Also, in response to an earlier post, Anaheim is not a smog-filled city, at least not in the area around Disneyland. That would be LA, a short freeway drive away. :lol:

Wilt Dasney

But something you'll notice is that its in a neighborhood, and its kinda weird because the area in Orlando around WDW is all touristy with discount ticket booths here, and gifts shops there. You dont see any of that in Anaheim, so its kinda weird.
I stayed on Katella and saw a few places advertising Disney T-shirts and deals on local attractions. I didn't see any real houses in the area, though. Maybe it depends on which side of the resort you're staying?

Lucille

I think the general consensus, without going into a novel (which I could do, by the way) is:

Disneyland's Magic Kingdom is ridiculously better than WDW's(And California Adventure might soon be great too.) having more rides, in most cases better rides, more TLC, better layout, more variety (in the park at least) but as a full destination Florida beats the crap out of the Disneyland Resort. WDW has infinitely more to do (4 parks, 2 waterparks, golf, marinas, enormous amount of hotels, restaurants, campground, dinner shows) vs. Disneyland resort (2 theme parks, a couple hotels and restaurants, smaller Downtown Disney)

Personally, on a pure park by park basis Disneyland Park is beyond my favorite and I'm a native Floridian who has grown up in Orlando. But WDW definitely has more to do overall, you just have to park-hop and travel around to do it.

Well, don't forget that there are just as many things to do in Southern California as there are to do in the Orlando area. Maybe even more. There are more things to life/vacation than just Disney. haha.

_Scar

Well, don't forget that there are just as many things to do in Southern California as there are to do in the Orlando area. Maybe even more. There are more things to life/vacation than just Disney. haha.

Orlando also has Sea World, IoA, Universal, Discovery Cove, DTD, City Walk, Wet'n'Wild, Busch Gardens (hour away), not to mention the water parks and DtD...

and those are just theme park options.

me_stitch

Premium Member
I like Disneyland better than the Magic Kingdom at DW. But only for the simple fact that it's the original, I always stop and look at Walts apartment over the fire haul, you can't do that at DW. California adventure is fun but I like Hollywood Studios better. Overall DW is better than DL because it's more secluded. Downtown Anaheim or feeling like your on a seperate continent? Staying at a DW resort is so much funner than staying at a regular hotel across the street from DL. Once you do DW, DL becomes a weekend trip.

Susan Savia

Because Disneyland is on the west coast and Disney World is on the east coast and thank goodness I live on the east coast!!! :sohappy:

Lucille

Orlando also has Sea World, IoA, Universal, Discovery Cove, DTD, City Walk, Wet'n'Wild, Busch Gardens (hour away), not to mention the water parks and DtD...

and those are just theme park options.

The Southern California area has Disneyland, California Adventure, DTD, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, Universal Studios, Universal City Walk, Six Flags Magic Mountain, L.A. Zoo, San Diego Zoo, Legoland, Hollywood, a bunch of beaches (Newport, Huntington, Santa Monica, Venice, Laguna, etc.) There are also mountains nearby for skiing and snow boarding. There are also at least 3 or 4 large water parks nearby but I don't know their names.

So really...I'm sure there are just as many things to do within and hour or two of Disneyland.

For the record...I love both Disneyland/DCA and WDW. Disneyland is the best single park overall. With Animal Kingdom and EPCOT close behind for me. Magic Kingdom at WDW is pretty far down my list though.

The resorts at WDW are superior than the on-site options at Disneyland.

Quest4fun

Don't forget the sporting event and theater/concert options.

Not counting those in San Diego there are still several stadiums and a few arenas for your sporting needs. If you want to catch a concert you have The Hollywood Bowl and Pantages Theater not to mention the countless small clubs on the Sunset Strip.

If we're comparing apples to apples then the Walt Disney World resort definitely has more than the Disneyland resort. If you're including non-Disney options then Southern California has them beat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom