How do you save $$ for your WDW trip?

tinkfan05

Everyone knows that WDW is expensive...but WELL worth it! Is there any special way you save for your trips to the world? I make candles as a hobby/side job, and sell them. All of my candle money is my "play" money, so this year I've decided to play at WDW!! It may take me 8-12 months to save it this way, but at least I know I've earned every mickey bar! How do you save for your trips?

aj_steig

I tried this yesterday. King Soopers (one of the local grocery stores chains) is doing a special with the tax rebates. If you buy a gift card worth $300, $600 or $1200, they will match 10% in free groceries. I bought a gift card last night for $300, and they matched 10% so the value was $330. I paid for this with my Disney Visa, and Chase is doing a promotion for the next three months where you get 5X rewards $ on eligible purchases of gas, dining, airline tickets, and groceries. Technically, I benefited in two ways with the 10% match and the 5X Disney rewards dollars (which we will be saving for our trip in September). Not necessary a way to save since I was spending a lot of money up front, but I remembered the Disney Visa promotion and thought this would be a great way to get some extra Disney Rewards Dollars before the trip. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Lets see, we used to before we joined DVC, sit in the dark, eat less, sweat during the summer, freeze during the winter, pick up coins everywhere, just joking. We just used common sense, got what we needed, and did without some things. But overall from 1997 to 2002 every year we went once a year. And since DVC in 03 we have been able to go at least twice a year. NICE :D

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

I have a special savings account for Disney and any extra money goes in there. I am about to start searching for cash everywhere to fill up the account. :sohappy: I can really save some money when it comes to going to Disney. :D

Upvote 0

Yankeeplex

I also have the Disney Chase Visa and was unaware of any promotions...I called Chase and they did not know about any 5x point promotions. I wish that was the case but they did not know anything about it.

Upvote 0

aj_steig

I also have the Disney Chase Visa and was unaware of any promotions...I called Chase and they did not know about any 5x point promotions. I wish that was the case but they did not know anything about it.

From my understanding, the cardmembers are chosen at random (or through some process that I may not know about). The last time they had a promotion (maybe back in April?) the representative told me that my card wasn't eligible any promotions at that time. I received an email an July 11th 2008 an was given a special code to enroll my card.

Upvote 0

CinderALLIE

I save up for my Disney vacation by not moving out of home and getting my own place. It's way cheaper just paying my Mum board then having to spend all my wage on rent, bills, etc. Kinda sad still living at home, but hell it's for Disney so I'll just put up with my Family for a little bit longer:lol:

Upvote 0

The promotion is only for selected cardholders. Both of us have a Disney Rewards Visa, but only my wife got the offer. When I called I was told they knew nothing about it, when I stated I was looking at my wife's email invitation, the representative said "Oh, that offer... its only for the person who recieved it... and it is only one offer per household, regardless of accounts at the address"

Upvote 0

The Disney Kid

Payroll deduction. $100 a week goes straight into my "Emergency Go to Disney Fund." It's an account my wife doesn't know about. I love when she tells me we can't afford to go!

Upvote 0

LuxeMama

LOL that is awesome, DisneyKid! I've been siphoning off out of our pay as well, and t__________g it into a savings account. I immediately put our "Economic Stimulus" payment in there as well. I figured, we got it for being a family, we'll spend it as a family!

Right now I'm working on a spreadsheet for expenses outside of the hotel, meal plan and tickets to figure out how much more we will need. Anyone have a figure as to how much they spent for that type of stuff?

Upvote 0

WildLodgeFan

LOL that is awesome, DisneyKid! I've been siphoning off out of our pay as well, and t__________g it into a savings account. I immediately put our "Economic Stimulus" payment in there as well. I figured, we got it for being a family, we'll spend it as a family!

Right now I'm working on a spreadsheet for expenses outside of the hotel, meal plan and tickets to figure out how much more we will need. Anyone have a figure as to how much they spent for that type of stuff?

And I thought I was the only nerd! I keep a spreadsheet that has different tabs - one for expenses & savings plan, one for itinerary, one for packing list, and one for the dining plan.

On the expense spreadsheet I had rows for the following:

Package Price
Airfare
Halloween Tickets
Gratuities
Additional Food (since we went with the basic plan, may eat during airport travel, and it's the first time we are using the plan, I felt we needed a contingency
Rentals (we are going to Blizzard Beach, so towels & lockers)
Souveniurs

For gratuities I budgeted based on a variety sources of information - since we knew which table service restaurants we would be going to, I looked up the menus selected the highest priced menu items - times it by the number of people in the party and figured a 20% gratuity for the high end. For mousekeeping, I figured the number of people and the number of days and our usual base amount. For the DME, I researched what most people tip per/person and put that in and then for skycaps, since my husband is a traffic officer at the airport, I asked him what the standard is currently and figured how many bags, etc.

Upvote 0

macsmom

I was looking into prepaid debit cards and finally found one that, not counting the initial start up, is not going to cost me anything. I rolled my change, used $10 of it to load the card, and I've got direct deposit onto the card every two weeks. I've got it put up so I won't use it. When I get to Disney, I'll use it as a credit card and no fees!

danna

Upvote 0

LuxeMama

You, my friend, are a ROCKSTAR!!

Thank you so much for that, because I was trying to arrange mine, and this helps tremendously! And things I had forgotten, like my Halloween tickets!

For gratuities I budgeted based on a variety sources of information - since we knew which table service restaurants we would be going to, I looked up the menus selected the highest priced menu items - times it by the number of people in the party and figured a 20% gratuity for the high end. For mousekeeping, I figured the number of people and the number of days and our usual base amount. For the DME, I researched what most people tip per/person and put that in and then for skycaps, since my husband is a traffic officer at the airport, I asked him what the standard is currently and figured how many bags, etc.

This is genius.

My kids have a Disney jar that they put their (aka my) money into a jar along with random change they find. If I ever use cash (which is rare), I put the spare change in the jar, dollars and all. I will have to roll those puppies since I don't want to give CoinStar any of my kids' money.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

A lot of banks, like mine (Chase), have coin machines that do not charge you a fee. A slip comes out and you take it to the teller and you get the cash. Check with your bank to see if they have that offered. If they don't, they may have another nearby branch that does. :)

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Everyone knows that WDW is expensive...but WELL worth it! Is there any special way you save for your trips to the world? I make candles as a hobby/side job, and sell them. All of my candle money is my "play" money, so this year I've decided to play at WDW!! It may take me 8-12 months to save it this way, but at least I know I've earned every mickey bar! How do you save for your trips?

I start as soon as I get home from my previous trip saving 2 ways: I put all of my spare change in a jar at the end of every day and I also take $25-$50 of every paycheck (I get paid every 2 weeks) and put that in my jar as well.

Upvote 0

LuxeMama

A lot of banks, like mine (Chase), have coin machines that do not charge you a fee. A slip comes out and you take it to the teller and you get the cash. Check with your bank to see if they have that offered. If they don't, they may have another nearby branch that does. :)

You are fabulous, thank you!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom