How do you do it?

tiaragirl

I made an effort to look good this last trip because I knew there would be SO many pictures. It was unfortunate.

I'm the girl that NEEDS to shower every morning and do the mousse thing.. otherwise it looks like there is a dead poodle on my head. Curls can be a curse in that sense, but the good news is they hold up pretty well in humidity. Erica didn't have as much luck. She has thin hair that *sometimes* curls.. mostly she wore her hair down for a bit, then stuck a headband it in and threw it up in a pony.

I don't wear much make up.. but my mascara and liquid eyeliner is ALWAYS waterproof (I teach swimming lessons, so it's a must for me). This helps keep anything from running, and it works fairly well. My foundation is just tinted moisturizer, so it's light and contains SPF.. just to even out the skin tone. I use Marcelle.. great stuff, I'd recommend.

My feet were killing after two days in my Aldo sandals, so I switched off to my Converse. I think next time I'll get some gel insoles, as all my shoes are very flat. Can't wear flats on the parks.. and I don't suggest anyone else try. They kill. Especially World Showcase day hahha.

Comfy and light on top makes a huge difference! And always take deodorant in the bag!

LoriMistress

I just wear sneakers when I'm in the parks. It's normally Vans, Converse, or Sketchers. As for CheshireCatStef, I would suggest just keeping a small make up bag to keep mineral foundation, your make up brush, a small brush or comb, and maybe some lip gloss. Maybe you can let your hair down during the mornings, and put your hair up in a pony tail during the afternoon when it gets hot.

Raven66

All I do is comb my hair out and throw it into a pony tail. And I don't wear make up anymore so I don't have to worry about that. Now my daughter has naturally curly, super thick hair and when it gets humid it poofs out so much she can barely get her hair thru the door.:D

i have pretty thick poofy hair, and in disney, even my hair was magical. i'd shower in the morning with some type of antifrizz/ extra hydration shampoo, then blowdry/straighten my hair (my hair was about mid-neck level) , i also used john frieda anti frizz serum... my hair always looked perfect! it flipped out a bit from the weather, but still came across looking good. A pony tail was necessary after splash mountain though... i am actually getting my hair chopped off the day before we go to disney this year so it will hopefully look juts as good as last year!

as far as flip flops go, i wore them all week on a 10 day trip! i'd say the last 2 days were kind of rough (my arches hurt) but otherwise i swear by them. i hate sneakers and even in winter usually wear some type of slip on clog/sneaker. my feet get hot and i get cranky so i choose to wear flip flops... i buy Nike foam flip flops from kohls and also snagged an addias pair with the squishy bottom for my next trip. i def recommend the Nikes . i've never tried the addias

Susan Savia

I have long hair and I twist it around and up and clip it and so it sorta resembles a ponytail. Very little makeup. A good pair of Keds sport shoes and I go all day long.

Missymoe4

I cannot do flip-flops either. My ankles would swell so much. Plus, I'd probably break a toe from doing something stupid. I also have a hard time with gym shoes unless I'm wearing higher socks. So, I've found some cute clog-like gym shoes. New Balance sells them, Ryka (which look like mary janes in the front) and Sketchers. I do know that Walmart sells some as well. They are super easy to slide on, give good cushion and provide balance and arch support. The only downfall is if they get wet--of which, I typically bring two pairs in different colors to match my outfits and in case of rain.
However, they do the trick for those long walking days, and are somewhat sporty-chick.

Moreover, thank you for the input on mineral makeup. The foundation I do wear is light. However, I hate wiping my forehead and having it on the back of my hand. Maybe mineral makeup is the way to go...

I would never be able to do mascara. Even waterproof comes off and turns me into a raccoon. I wear glasses (now), and really don’t need the eye makeup anyhow.

Which brings me to two questions:

1. Does anyone wear glasses while in the world? Any
suggestions/tips for keeping them clean, ride suggestions,
protective case suggestions...

2. I’ve fallen in love with Dansko clogs and have found some
Dansko sandals. Has anyone worn these down in WDW?
Yay or nay for trying them out? They run about $100 or
more, and I want to make sure that they are worth buying
before laying down the money.

oommggitskait

Glad I'm not the only one who can't wear flip flops in the park. I'll stick with some cute sneaks/tennis shoes.

I wear Dansko's to work everyday (medically based speech therapist in a place where everyone is in a wheelchair... so I NEVER get to sit down) and they are amazing. Don't know that I could rock them in the park though- as my feet do tend to get hot. They have lots of different styles though - including some mary jane looking ones which might be cooler.
ALSO... there are Dansko outlets! I'm not sure where you live, but I would imagine there is one around most major cities. The price comes down quite a bit, but the shoes typically have a defect in them. I don't care though because I always end up scuffing mine anyway.

loveofamouse

i have pretty thick poofy hair, and in disney, even my hair was magical. i'd shower in the morning with some type of antifrizz/ extra hydration shampoo, then blowdry/straighten my hair (my hair was about mid-neck level) , i also used john frieda anti frizz serum... my hair always looked perfect! it flipped out a bit from the weather, but still came across looking good. A pony tail was necessary after splash mountain though... i am actually getting my hair chopped off the day before we go to disney this year so it will hopefully look juts as good as last year!

as far as flip flops go, i wore them all week on a 10 day trip! i'd say the last 2 days were kind of rough (my arches hurt) but otherwise i swear by them. i hate sneakers and even in winter usually wear some type of slip on clog/sneaker. my feet get hot and i get cranky so i choose to wear flip flops... i buy Nike foam flip flops from kohls and also snagged an addias pair with the squishy bottom for my next trip. i def recommend the Nikes . i've never tried the addias

John Frieda is awesome! I use it on my girls' hair. I have tried looking for other items to work but none work as well as their stuff. I use the serum and the dream curls spray with mousse. Holds up well with our humidity. :sohappy:

MissM

I third? fourth? the mineral makeup suggestion. As a Florida resident, heat, sweating and humidity are problems most of the year. (Not just for a week's vacation! :lol:) I know sometimes Sephora or Ulta will offer a "baby buki" brush and sample that's the perfect size to stick in your purse. Or, something like a refillable brush can help make it easier to touch up in the park. Nice perk is that it's not thick on your face and you get some SPF out of it as well. (Still put some facial sunscreen on under it though!)

I'm a hat-and-ponytail kinda girl myself. Sometimes if I wear my Sassy/bucket style hat, I go for two pigtails to be cute, or if I wear a ball cap, of course, then just the one. I run a flat iron over my hair most days just to tame it.

I wear sneakers because I can't imagine being in flip-flops all day with all the walking we do. I usually even wear those special comfort socks that have built-in dryness protection in them. It helps. (Like this idea or this idea.

Also, try picking up some of the "Whick Away" sports tee shirts. You can get them at Target and probably Wal-Mart even. They dry off MUCH faster so you cool down quicker going indoors (shops, rides, etc.) and they keep you from walking around in a damp, soggy tee all day.

I live here in Florida, so I have both glasses and prescription sunglasses. Pain as it is, I'm used to just switching back-and-forth between the two. I can't see without them so not wearing them isn't an option. (And not wearing sunglasses when outside isn't an option either.) Whenever I enter a show building, I just do a quick swap and when I leave, I put the sunglasses back on.

Contacts and non-prescription sunglasses on a cord would be easier but I don't wear contacts.

It's just routine to me. I've never really had problems on attractions or anything. I keep a cleaning cloth in my purse for my glasses that I also bring with me to Disney.

Pete C

OMG - Last May it rained EVERY day of our ten day trip... not the "if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" norm of South Florida, but ALL day EVERY day... I didn't even try.

This is definitely not the norm in Orlando. Last May we had freak storms for several days I think. In general though, it almost never rains all day. In the summer, we get the daily afternoon thunderstorm like like South Florida. I grew up in SF...it's about the same.

Lisalyn

I refuse to go when it's hot and in the summer months it is HOT! LOL So we go end of November over Thanksgiving....no need really to sweat or "perspire" at that time of the year (although don't get me wrong..it CAN get warmer then I'd like on occasion!) I tend to wash and go with my hair so it's pretty much everywhere anyways LOL

Tinkrbell

I usually don't wear alot of make up when I'm at disney. I have pretty thick wavy hair that I keep about chin length. I usually straighten it in the morning & spritz some light anti-frizz hair spray on it. I also take a few hair ties to pull it back if it starts to get annoying. I also take a small pack of handi wipes/ baby wipes to wipe my face when I'm starting to feel gross.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've found some cute clog-like gym shoes. New Balance sells them, Ryka (which look like mary janes in the front) and Sketchers. I do know that Walmart sells some as well. They are super easy to slide on, give good cushion and provide balance and arch support.
However, they do the trick for those long walking days, and are somewhat sporty-chick.

Me, too. I have a pair of slide-on sneakers from Keds, and one from Naturalizer (or is it Easy Spirit?). They are a great middle-ground.
I am not a flip-flop wearer, however; I am one of those crazy high-heel girls (but not at WDW--I'm crazy, but I'm not nuts :p)
I usually bring a couple pairs of flat sandals, but this time I'm only bringing my two pair of backless sneakers for park touring.

I third? fourth? the mineral makeup suggestion. As a Florida resident, heat, sweating and humidity are problems most of the year. (Not just for a week's vacation! :lol:) I know sometimes Sephora or Ulta will offer a "baby buki" brush and sample that's the perfect size to stick in your purse. Or, something like a refillable brush can help make it easier to touch up in the park. Nice perk is that it's not thick on your face and you get some SPF out of it as well. (Still put some facial sunscreen on under it though!)

Thanks for that product tip! Mineral usually goes on when I leave the room and not again 'til I get back.

I'm a hat-and-ponytail kinda girl myself. Sometimes if I wear my Sassy/bucket style hat, I go for two pigtails to be cute, or if I wear a ball cap, of course, then just the one. I run a flat iron over my hair most days just to tame it.

Ditto. I've also got a nice collection of straw hats, and Disney visors.

When I wore my hair longer, I had a lot more options for getting it off my neck, which I lost when I got the more age-appropriate bob. :lol: Still need to run the flat-iron over it though, and with a good anti-frizz product, it works.

Pain as it is, I'm used to just switching back-and-forth between the two. I can't see without them so not wearing them isn't an option. (And not wearing sunglasses when outside isn't an option either.) Whenever I enter a show building, I just do a quick swap and when I leave, I put the sunglasses back on.

Contacts and non-prescription sunglasses on a cord would be easier but I don't wear contacts.

It's just routine to me. I've never really had problems on attractions or anything. I keep a cleaning cloth in my purse for my glasses that I also bring with me to Disney.

Same here. I also have a pair of glasses with clip-on shades; those are a breeze to switch, but they are small frames and not good at keeping out major glare (a hat also comes in handy for glare-blocking), so most of the time I do the same switcheroo that you do.

mm52

glasses in the world

I cannot do flip-flops either. My ankles would swell so much. Plus, I'd probably break a toe from doing something stupid. I also have a hard time with gym shoes unless I'm wearing higher socks. So, I've found some cute clog-like gym shoes. New Balance sells them, Ryka (which look like mary janes in the front) and Sketchers. I do know that Walmart sells some as well. They are super easy to slide on, give good cushion and provide balance and arch support. The only downfall is if they get wet--of which, I typically bring two pairs in different colors to match my outfits and in case of rain.

Moreover, thank you for the input on mineral makeup. The foundation I do wear is light. However, I hate wiping my forehead and having it on the back of my hand. Maybe mineral makeup is the way to go...

I would never be able to do mascara. Even waterproof comes off and turns me into a raccoon. I wear glasses (now), and really don’t need the eye makeup anyhow.

I wore glasses during my last 10 day trip and didn't have a problem. Seeing as how I had just sent a small fortune on the new glasses, I didn't want to lose them so I used the glass chain (string) holder type thing, I didn't have any problem with it. On really tough rides that bounce you around, I either but them in a case in my purse or tucked them in my shirt with the chain( more like a string) still attached. I used the cleaning cloth that was recommended by my Dr and it worked great! It folds small enough and weights next to nothing so it was easy to keep with me. This is the first trip I had where I didn't have to keep switching from glasses to sunglasses and boy that was really nice. Have a great trip!

LoriMistress

I wear my glasses on every ride, except RnRc. If I have to take them off, or if I switching glasses, I use a glasses case, and I kept a small microfiber cloth in there to clean my glasses off. I just keep my case in my backpack with the rest of my crap.

toetheline29

Haha... trying to look good in WDW is certainly an adventure. My sisters and I decided last time that it should be an unspoken rule that when you're in WDW, you can look however you want and no one should judge since it's the happiest place on earth. I end up pulling my hair up pretty much every day. I have naturally wavy/curly hair, and usually I don't bother fighting and straightening it because I generally like how it looks when it's curly. Only, after the first few thrill rides a lot of the curls have been pulled out (and pieces around my face and neck start to stick... it's just easier to pull it up). There's a lot of "curl refresher" sprays out there; I like the Garnier Fructis Wave Enhancing Spray (I'm pretty sure Bumble and Bumble makes one too, but it's a lot more expensive). Sometimes you can find them in travel size bottles; I take one to the park in the event that pulling it up is not sufficient, lol. I've heard good things about John Frieda's anti-frizz line too. Also, when I'm going to Florida, I pick up a heavier conditioner than I usually use (if you have a Sally's Beauty Supply nearby, I really like their Generic Value Product Conditioning Balm). Generally, I do either ponytails, half-up half-down, or two braids (with a baseball hat). On my last trip, I saw a girl with her hair in one French braid until the nape of her neck and then ponytail (so it was french braided just until all her hair got pulled in, then it was in a ponytail instead of continuing to braid all the way down). I thought it was really cute and keep meaning to try it.

Sometimes we stay at the parks all day, sometimes we go back to the room to rest in the afternoon. Going back is always nice; not only are you inside for the hottest part of the day, but you have a chance to freshen up before going back out.

On a similar note, has anyone found a good sunscreen that doesn't look greasy? I've even tried the Neutregena and Aveeno ones that are specially formulated for faces, but I still have to cake on powder foundation over the top to eliminate shine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom