Housekeeping

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Tavernacle12

I wouldn't be opposed to this, depending on how much the giftcard is. My only concern would be running out of clean towels. I imagine the giftcard isn't per day, though. I assume housekeeping staff gets paid less than $20 an hour and clean more than one room per hour, so if it's $20 per night I don't see how it makes monetary sense for them.

peter11435

I wouldn't be opposed to this, depending on how much the giftcard is. My only concern would be running out of clean towels. I imagine the giftcard isn't per day, though. I assume housekeeping staff gets paid less than $20 an hour and clean more than one room per hour, so if it's $20 per night I don't see how it makes monetary sense for them.
It's $20 per night. You can still request and recieve clean towels.

Daveeeeed

Honestly, I leave my do not disturb sign in most trips because I'm too lazy to clean up things I don't want moved and I go to the parks at odd hours and always seem to be there when they want to be cleaning. The DCL cleaning people are like ninjas, though.
DCL is in another league. Outstanding awesomeness and service which destroys competition.

That being said, this idea seems pretty cool. Disney will also still make money from this as you will use gift cards, but it makes sense why they are testing it. Perhaps the option (theoretically for a week stay) you have them clean once and the rest of the time you get gift cards if you would like? I'm assuming it is on a per day basis.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The former Las Vegas Hilton offered their guests the opportunity to opt out of housekeeping for up to 3 days by hanging a tag on the doorknob. At the end of the day, you'd find a $15 credit certificate as good as cash anywhere in the resort in consideration. I believe it was very popular, as I saw many of them being used in the casual eating facilities down by the sports book.

roj2323

Just saw an article that indicates Disney is considering offering gift cards if a person opts out of having housekeeping come to their room during their stay. Anyone else heard this?

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.disneydining.com/walt-di...r-gifts-cards-for-opting-out-of-mousekeeping/

Their staffing issues must be getting bad. Disney requires at least one year of experience in housekeeping to even apply for the role. This wouldn't be a huge deal but all of the other hotels in the area require it as well so they are always short staffed for housekeeping. The ironic part is Disney's training is pretty comprehensive so having experience really doesn't help.

mm121

dont really see this as being a long term thing, but I can see it making sense for them during times when the resorts are at complete capacity

by doing this they may be able to get through those full times without having to hire extra staff or without having to pay overtime

and would allow the housekeepers to concentrate their efforts on the checkouts/checkins instead of daily upkeep

i wouldnt be against taking advantage of this as i'd sometimes really rather not have someone coming into the room and sometimes end up leaving the do not disturb on the door when i leave

cindy_k

DVC works like this. We only get housekeeping on Day 3 for Trash and Towel, and on Day 7 its a full clean.
Now, with that knowledge going in and the fact that DVC rooms are furnished with paper towels, broom / dustpan and free laundry (in suite and/or free laundrymat) , its not a big deal. Also being owners, typically you care more about the room.

I'm not sure how it will work for a broader public. Maybe it will be fine, but I wonder if they are going to find bigger messes to deal with on checkout cleanings. Which would then spiral into an impact on available rooms for check in times.

Kman101

Of course it becomes "they're cheap and reducing housekeeping". We don't know that for a fact but let's keep making assumptions. But to be fair, if many guests aren't wanting housekeeping, they probably do have to reduce the staffing and how they schedule them. JMO.

I like the idea of a gift card. I'm someone who doesn't really get housekeeping done because I often go solo. If it's longer than a few days, I'll get it but I'm quick to put up the do not disturb sign. I don't need everything changed daily or having someone in the room.

jakeman

Plenty of hotels from major companies have done this for quite some time. Discounted rates and/or credits for opting out.
Fun story... I was treating the inlaws to a stay at the Swalphin. They were not impressed with the complete lack of service and I was very embarassed that the hotel I had raved about was falling flat on something so basic. Went downstairs to ask what was up and was informed that Starwood changed their "going green" program a while back from just not replacing towels to completely giving up housekeeping. I always did it because I would just flag down a housekeeper and get new towels anyway.

Oops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom