Hotels in Chicago

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Hi Chit-Chatters!

I'll be in Chicago late this year for a conference and am looking into room reservations. Hilton has a good rate for its Palmer House hotel. Anybody know whether this is a good place to stay?

Or any other reasonably priced recommendations?

Thanks!

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Thanks Freddy. Trip advisor is okay, but I'd rather have the insights of some of this forum's members who are either from Chicago and know the hotel and the area or who have stayed there.

But thank you, all the same. :wave:

Some suggestions:

Check into The Hyatt Regency Chicago, Wyndham Chicago, The Fairmont Chicago... I have never stay there but Travel Channel and other places have recommended Hotel Monaco Chicago. The one thing that makes me laugh is that you can borrow a live goldfish to have in your room and take care of during your stay.

Fantasmic!329

MKCP 1985 said:
Thanks Freddy. Trip advisor is okay, but I'd rather have the insights of some of this forum's members who are either from Chicago and know the hotel and the area or who have stayed there.

But thank you, all the same. :wave:
No problem. First-hand advice is the best. :lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I will be at the Chicago Sheraton in July for a conference. I'll let you know how it goes. :lol:

I have never been to Chicago before and am really excited to get to hang out in the city for a few days. Anyone have suggestions on the must-see things to do while I (or the OP) am there for 4 days...

coasterphil

The only two places I've personally stayed downtown were the Hampton Inn and Suites, which was absolutely phenomal, and the Hotel Intercontinental which was bad. The Hampton had big suites and a great staff. The Hotel Intercontinental didn't have our room ready until 8pm so we just decided to leave as the staff wasn't the least bit apologetic.

tiggeriffic418, when are you going in July? If its at the beginning of the month be sure to spend an afternoon at the Taste. You can sample all the best the city has to offer.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
coasterphil said:
The only two places I've personally stayed downtown were the Hampton Inn and Suites, which was absolutely phenomal, and the Hotel Intercontinental which was bad. The Hampton had big suites and a great staff. The Hotel Intercontinental didn't have our room ready until 8pm so we just decided to leave as the staff wasn't the least bit apologetic.

tiggeriffic418, when are you going in July? If its at the beginning of the month be sure to spend an afternoon at the Taste. You can sample all the best the city has to offer.

I will be there from the 12-16th. What is the Taste? It sounds interesting.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
MKCP 1985 said:
Hi Chit-Chatters!

I'll be in Chicago late this year for a conference and am looking into room reservations. Hilton has a good rate for its Palmer House hotel. Anybody know whether this is a good place to stay?

Or any other reasonably priced recommendations?

Thanks!

The Palmer is nice... go with that... just stay away from the Congress Hotel... its uber ghetto. :lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Woody13 said:
Last day of the Taste of Chicago is July 9th. :wave:

Oh well. Seemed like a nice idea while it lasted. Any other things I have to see? I dont know if I will ever get back to Chicago so I kinda wanna do a lot of stuff while I am there (in between conference activities)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
tiggerific418 said:
Oh well. Seemed like a nice idea while it lasted. Any other things I have to see? I dont know if I will ever get back to Chicago so I kinda wanna do a lot of stuff while I am there (in between conference activities)

King Tut is currently at the Field Museum... but... good luck getting tickets (you might have a shot of getting some online right now at their web site).

The Shedd Aquarium is really nice...

and I recommend the Museum of Science and Industry...

*is a museum geek* :lol: :wave:

ErickainPA

We stayed at the Hilton Chicago (just about a block or so away from Palmer House) back in May 2005. It was really nice, we had a view of the river, although getting woken up around 8 am to music blasting from a Cancer Walk that was starting in the park, but it was still a great hotel.

Be ready to walk a lot. We got hot dogs at a place called Luke's, they were really good. Take the bus if you want to go down to the Loop, it's a far walk. They have a Cheesecake Factory down in the Hancock building (also go up for a view if the weather is nice and clear)

I have to disagree with Shedd's Aquarium. The place was not as nice or big as we thought it would be, we have been to better aquariums.

GenerationX

tiggerific418 said:
I am a museum geek like DMC-12 :wave: , and on one campus you have the Field Museum, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium. All pretty cool. The Museum of Science and Industry, while very engrossing, is a good distance from downtown (about 5 miles south). Right in the middle of downtown (111 S. Michigan Ave.) is the Art Institute of Chicago. You will find many famous paintings here; some were highlighted in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

The White Sox are out of town for the days you'll be in Chicago, and there's no sense in seeing the pitiful Cubs, so baseball is kind of out. Unless you're a Mets fan and want to watch them beat the Cubs. Then, you may enjoy it.

Other fun stuff - going to the top of the Sears Tower, shopping on Michigan Avenue, and touring Navy Pier. Have fun! :wave:

coasterphil

The biggest attraction in Chicago, in my opinion, is the food. Try to visit as many of these places as you can, which would have been a lot easier if you were there during the Taste of Chicago.

Lou Malnati's
Giordano's
Weiner Circle
Portillo's
Garrett Popcorn
Billy Goat Tavern
Rainbow Cone

Other things you should try and do are:
Museum of Science and Industry
Navy Pier
John Hancock building (better view than the Sears Tower)
Cubs game
Shopping on Michigan Avenue
Millenium Park

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
DMC-12 said:
King Tut is currently at the Field Museum... but... good luck getting tickets (you might have a shot of getting some online right now at their web site).

The Shedd Aquarium is really nice...

and I recommend the Museum of Science and Industry...

*is a museum geek* :lol: :wave:

I like aquariums....Ill check it out.

At the conference I am going to I actually get to have a special dinner at the Field Museum with King Tut. I am so excited. I think it is going to be awesome.

From what I have heard our hotel is also right near the Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue. Our actual conference is being held in McCormick Place.

The only thing I am not psyched about is the fact that we are being forced to cram 4 adult women into one hotel room for 4 nights. It is not going to be pretty. Did I mention these people are TOTAL strangers too. Woo Hoo. NOT. :brick:

mandib

If you're there for a Wednesday or Saturday go see the fireworks at Navy Pier. Definately go shopping on Michigan Ave. though, it's pretty amazing. I love the Museum of S & I though and this is coming from someone who'd gone to more field trips there than years that I've been in school I think, and I still find it interesting. I can't wait for this summer I'm definately hitting up the beaches which are always nice. I love this city and the Cubs who won today! :)

coasterphil

The Shedd is a bit more focused on educating visitors and talking about conservation efforts than flashy displays with tons of interesting fish. Some people love the fact that they learn so much about the animals, others get bored with that type of stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom