HOT INFO! Timekeeper to be Monster's Inc. Stage Show (pics!)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:
Timekeeper creative? I think a lot of people would disagree..

I was reffering to having a Storyline in a CV360 film. Plus the cinematography, audio mixing / orchestrations and interaction of the AA`s with the film footage. I`m glad a lot of people would disagree. A lot of people would also agree with me. Thats what makes the human race so interesting.

bassman

new idea

hiya guys, i know ime new here, but i have been following this thread for ages and it has got my creative juices flowing,so here goes,
adapting on the robocoaster theory,how about they make 2 dueling robo coasters, now i know what you are thinking at this point but please here me out,1 could be mike and sully and the other could be randal, the cars could be themed arond the doors from the film and you could be travelling through that huge sorting warehouse, the story could be something like you are racing each other to get to boo first and because of the incredible amount of movement in a robo coaster it could A-not a very long tack and B-could create the sense of the characters you are supposed to be barging and fighting thier way to boo, this clearly wouldnt fit in the area where timekeeper once was, so why not put it in MGM, that way they can build the right size building for the attraction. now ime no emaginier, and maybe i am thinking too far outside the box but think about it, universal is always bragging that IOA has all the lastest and greatest,which dont get me wrong they do have with Spiderman, the hulk and dueling dragons, but if disney made an attraction such as this it could possibly take some of that 'glory' away from universal, sure E:E will probably draw the biggest crouds this year, but what if something like this WAS built, it may draw all the crouds.
thanks for your time and please post back what you think.

btw those of you who use myspace and want to contact me you can find me under either matt bulleyment or username bassman

Timmay

Let me see if I have this right so far...

A couple of pics were seen here that indicate a MI attraction may be coming to MK Tomorrowland, repalcing an attraction that doesn't draw them in like it used to. Some people are upset that the "new" attraction does not fit in with the current theme. Some are upset at the choice of characters for the new attraction. Some are just upset. Is that about it?

Well, I am curious how one can even be upset about much since the darn thing has not even been seen, much yet announced, yet.

As for it "not fitting into the theme"...what theme is that exactly, I mean the theme that all the other attractions in the area fit so well into. I guess I would have enough trust in the people that make the decisions to make the right one (See, I do not picture them sitting around with a dart board or crystal ball trying to make the right choices, I give them more credit than that). Sure they have made some mistakes before, but it sure seems more often than not they get it right. Let them do what they do best and see what happens. Wanna' gripe when they are finshed (*cough SGE cough*) go right ahead.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`d imagine the theme was the vast ammount of money spent on Tomorrowland during 1994-5 to make it the future that never was, and always will be. There was so much detail, so many interlinked little bits of info in each attraction that tied them all together into a town of the future, and so many little things that made a cohesive theme.

Going, going, gone!

Kriszee1

Just a line from Monster's Inc...
"Working for a better tomorrow...TODAY"
"The future is bright at Monsters Incorporated...."

The movie was all about energy and the future of their energy source....maybe it will have something to do with that:wave:

Empress Room

Timmay said:
Let me see if I have this right so far...

A couple of pics were seen here that indicate a MI attraction may be coming to MK Tomorrowland, repalcing an attraction that doesn't draw them in like it used to. Some people are upset that the "new" attraction does not fit in with the current theme. Some are upset at the choice of characters for the new attraction. Some are just upset. Is that about it?

Well, I am curious how one can even be upset about much since the darn thing has not even been seen, much yet announced, yet.

As for it "not fitting into the theme"...what theme is that exactly, I mean the theme that all the other attractions in the area fit so well into. I guess I would have enough trust in the people that make the decisions to make the right one (See, I do not picture them sitting around with a dart board or crystal ball trying to make the right choices, I give them more credit than that). Sure they have made some mistakes before, but it sure seems more often than not they get it right. Let them do what they do best and see what happens. Wanna' gripe when they are finshed (*cough SGE cough*) go right ahead.

Well said, Timmay. Many seem so concerned that the "theme" of Tomorrowland will be lost - especially after the expensive and extensive 1994 rehab project ("the future that never was"). I'm not sure what theme that was. Indy cars? Never really fit that theme if you ask me. Dreamflight? Heck, we've been flying since Orville and Wilbur Wright. Alien Encounter? An alien attack that could have occurred in any science fiction time line. The point is, as you correctly note, we don't know anything about Monsters Inc. attraction - if it indeed is the choice.

As to the Pixar/Monsters Inc. criticism... Face it, Disney has spent millions upon millions of dollars for this wonderful asset known as Pixar. In order to reap the most benefit from that investment, it is imperative that attractions (yes, multiple attractions) are created using these wildly popular movies as vehicles to promote that acquisition. Walt did the exact same thing with Peter Pan, Cinderella, Snow White, Davey Crockett and, yes, even the castles that are the focal point of each Magic Kingdom. Those characters provided the vehicles for attractions and marketing in their day and are clearly "classics." For this generation, characters like Buzz Lightyear, Mike, Sully and Elastigirl will assume those same roles and will likely be viewed as classics by future generations.

wannab@dis

Empress Room said:
Well said, Timmay. Many seem so concerned that the "theme" of Tomorrowland will be lost - especially after the expensive and extensive 1994 rehab project ("the future that never was"). I'm not sure what theme that was. Indy cars? Never really fit that theme if you ask me. Dreamflight? Heck, we've been flying since Orville and Wilbur Wright. Alien Encounter? An alien attack that could have occurred in any science fiction time line. The point is, as you correctly note, we don't know anything about Monsters Inc. attraction - if it indeed is the choice.

As to the Pixar/Monsters Inc. criticism... Face it, Disney has spent millions upon millions of dollars for this wonderful asset known as Pixar. In order to reap the most benefit from that investment, it is imperative that attractions (yes, multiple attractions) are created using these wildly popular movies as vehicles to promote that acquisition. Walt did the exact same thing with Peter Pan, Cinderella, Snow White, Davey Crockett and, yes, even the castles that are the focal point of each Magic Kingdom. Those characters provided the vehicles for attractions and marketing in their day and are clearly "classics." For this generation, characters like Buzz Lightyear, Mike, Sully and Elastigirl will assume those same roles and will likely be viewed as classics by future generations.
Great post! :sohappy:

I agree with you and the post that you quoted. Breathing new life into the parks shouldn't be seen as detrimental to the magic/theme, but a transitional period to new and better things. Those loved classics were new at one time!

imagineer boy

Empress Room said:
Well said, Timmay. Many seem so concerned that the "theme" of Tomorrowland will be lost - especially after the expensive and extensive 1994 rehab project ("the future that never was"). I'm not sure what theme that was. Indy cars? Never fit the theme if you ask me.

Ture, but I did always have faith that they would make it more futuristic like the autopia at DL, but they never did.

Empress Room said:
Dreamflight? Heck, we've been flying since Orville and Wilbur Wright.

I don't know why people keep bringing up Dream Flight and use it as a point to explain that Tomorrowland lost its theme. They replaced it didn't they? Besides, I read somewhere that they had been wanting to replace it during the 94 rehab, but couldn't because of the budget and sponsor problems.

Empress Room said:
Alien Encounter? An alien attack that could have occurred in any science fiction time line.

Um, technically that's what the new tomorrowland makeover focused on. Science ficiton rather than science fact.

BTW, I do agree on the point you brought up about Disney wanting to get beneffit from buying Pixar. However, I would be alot more positive about Monster's Inc comming if they simply built it somewhere else. What about the studios? It would fit the theme there perfectly, not to mention that its dying for a new attraction ( and a family oriented one at that. The MK already has plenty of family attractions, why can't MGM have some? ).

MissM

Original Poster
Kriszee1 said:

The movie was all about energy and the future of their energy source....maybe it will have something to do with that:wave:
I think that's a great obersvation.

I also think it's WAAAAAAAAAY too early to decide if it fits, doesn't fit, will ruin Tomorrowland, etc. etc. Let's wait until, you know, it's actually built.
-m

CaptainMichael

imagineer boy said:
However, I would be alot more positive about Monster's Inc comming if they simply built it somewhere else. What about the studios? It would fit the theme there perfectly, not to mention that its dying for a new attraction ( and a family oriented one at that. The MK already has plenty of family attractions, why can't MGM have some? ).
Just because Monster's Inc happened to be a movie, doesn't necessarily mean that it belongs in the Disney Studios. I'm almost certain that Imagineers will make it fit in Tomorrowland.

Skippy

A little random question... is the stitch meet and greet still going on in the little queue area of timekeeper, or was that moved somewhere?

jesserin

Kriszee1 said:

Yay!!! for a great post! :) Now see? here is someone who does the research - pulls out actual quotes - ties in the Movie to the Land... and still stays positive about the whole thing! :D

Thanks Kriszee! :sohappy:

maxime29

Premium Member
I'm not hearing enough whining from this thread.

Cry more, please. :D

(oh, and while TK was an attraction I enjoyed watching, I'm optimistic about the potential for this new ride based on Monsters Inc. I'll wait until I actually go back in the MSS or whatever new thing they will call it to make a final verdict.)

MissM

Original Poster
SkipKid said:
A little random question... is the stitch meet and greet still going on in the little queue area of timekeeper, or was that moved somewhere?
The queue is totally blocked off. Stitch was doing meet and greets in front of the building through last month.
-m

imagineer boy

STR8FAN2005 said:
Just because Monster's Inc happened to be a movie, doesn't necessarily mean that it belongs in the Disney Studios. I'm almost certain that Imagineers will make it fit in Tomorrowland.

Sure, but IMO it would fit ALOT better there than tomorrowland. They managed to make it fit in the hollywood stuios backlot section of DCA.

Here's the thing, Tomorrowland's theme in general is a dream of the future with elements of sci-fi. I don't consider Monsters Inc to be sci-fi or futuristic in general. Sure, they have advanced technology, but other than that, that's it. When one average person thinks of sci-fi, they associate things dealing with space travel, aliens, and futuristic cities. I've considered Monsters Inc to be more fantasey than sci-fi. The whole idea in general of children being afraid of monsters in their closets is very fantasey-like. Plus the monsters themselves are very whimsical and colorful, which also makes them feel a little more out of place in tomorrowland. And another thing I've stated before, the movie of Monsters Inc takes place in the present. Not the future. So what's it doing in tomorrowland? I know I've heard a few ideas pitched like the possibility of people being teleported to an opposite diminsion where the monsters live, but if you ask me, that would be very far fetched, and it would confuse the average visitor even more. I really do have faith in the imagineers, I really do, but I've looked at this from all angles and tried to think of many possibilities, but I just can't see it working! Like I said before, put it in the studios. It atleast somewhat fits the theme there. It would feel alot more at home there.

speck76

imagineer boy said:
Here's the thing, Tomorrowland's theme in general is a dream of the future with elements of sci-fi.

You are about the fifth person to state Tomorrowland's theme....and you all gave different answers.

Out of every land at the Magic Kingdom, Tomorrowland has always had the weakest theme.....

wannab@dis

imagineer boy said:
Sure, but IMO it would fit ALOT better there than tomorrowland.
The key here is... your opinion. You've stated it several times and I think we're all aware of it. While I understand your claims, I think the fact remains that they're fairly baseless. Most of the attractions in MK were/are based on movies. Many attractions in TL over the decades have had little to do with "Tomorrow". No matter how you break it down, Monsters has just as much place there as AE, Dreamflight, TK, TTA, Indy, CoP, etc... (we could continue naming several attractions.)

I understand that you want everything in TL to fit "your" idea of the theming, but you haven't yet been able to explain the faults of many attractions lacking a truly tight connection to TL.

imagineer boy said:
Here's the thing, Tomorrowland's theme in general is a dream of the future with elements of sci-fi.
Um, I KNOW I've seen you claim before that Sci-Fi wasn't supposed to be part of TL theme. :veryconfu

imagineer boy said:
And another thing I've stated before, the movie of Monsters Inc takes place in the present.
The majority of CoP is a look at yesterday, yet you argue that it has it's place because it also "looks towards tomorrow." However, most scenes dwell on the PAST. Now, I could easily argue that MI has many qualities that deal with futuristic ideals. Creating energy, transporting between dimensions, technology, etc.

In other words, we each can attempt to back our claims... in the end, it comes down to which claim has more merit? I'm not going to claim that my view is totally correct, but we can let others decide and chime in for themselves. Personally, I believe the facts based on past/current attractions and the primary focus of the movie tend to tip the scale. :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom