Horrible, Horrible, Ride / Attraction.

surfsupdon

The Living Seas ride portion is horrendous.

It's neat to see the fish, granted, but the chairs hurt your back and it moves deathly slow and should be stopped.

So much potential it is sitting on...

Fido

Originally posted by surfsupdon
The Living Seas ride portion is horrendous.

It's neat to see the fish, granted, but the chairs hurt your back and it moves deathly slow and should be stopped.

So much potential it is sitting on...

Alakazam! You got your wish. No more seacabs. That was easy, wasn't it? :lol:

:lookaroun

jojoyner55

Johnvree -
There are no rides at WDW (or Disneyland, for that matter) that I hate, or would remotely deem "horrible". But since you insist: I don't like the kiosks trying to sell you DVC. Does that satisfy you? And go easy on Indy - after all it is a 50 year old concept based on the fact that little kids want to drive. It has its place.

Joalovar

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
and El Rio Del Tiempo...hey why not do something with the 3 Caballeros? I love that movie (maybe that has to do with the fact I'm a Donald fan :lol: ) but anyway it's set partly in Mexico and by using that movie in SOME parts, not all, that can at least appeal to kids...the problem I have with this ride is that it has too much stuff for such a short ride. Mexico is too vast a country to stuff all that they stuff so little. they should just concentrate on certain aspects, like elaborating more on "el dia de los muertos" and the nightlife in Mexico city maybe or cancun/acapulco or the aztecs...i dunno, stuff like that...the way norway concentrates maelstrom on the vikings, which is a familiar part of norway's heritage...don't know if I made much sense but yeah those are my 2 cents :D

As a mexican all can say is this, you are right DDuckFan130, El Rio del Tiempo could be much better ride than today's version. I think it must be revamped sometime in the near future. By the way all the ride is soooooo 80's...

The only thing I love of Mexico's pavillion is the concept of the Cantina de San Angel at night, it's so cool!

EthylCooper

I like El Rio Del Tiempo, but maybe not enough to go every time. I like the fireworks room, and my absolute favorite part is that the people who try to sell you things move from screen to screen. :D

Originally posted by Fido
Alakazam! You got your wish. No more seacabs. That was easy, wasn't it? :lol:

:lookaroun

LMAO!!!! :lol: :lol:

johnvree

jojoyner -

That's a start. I sense your still repressing some feelings, but you're on the road to recovery.

As for Indy, fine keep it. All I ask is that they somehow rig those masks they give you at DisneyQuest for the virtual reality attractions to deliver oxygen while on Indy (or within 100 yards of it).

On a servious note, why not put some sort of prototype electric engine in the cars. At least then it would be futuristic. I don't think loud, polluting engines were considered cutting-edge 50 years ago. They already had them.

Fido

I have to agree on the speedway thing. It would be nice to have more futuristic cars with no associated stench.

DonaldDuck

nothing like reactivating a thread after 17 days of inactivity....

the thing about the Indy speedway is that it really starts to lose its appeal once you get old enough to drive. i remember when i went to WDW when i was 7, it was exciting to drive a car - even though i slammed the car into the track many times. when i went back to WDW at age 13, the thrill had already started to fade. on my most recent visits, i don't even really think about the speedway since i can drive a car whenever i want. its appeal definitely is more to kids. but they could stand to update the cars - make them more environmentally friendly, even futuristic looking (after all, it is tomorrowland). it seems to me that most visions of the future have less and less to do with gasoline cars based on 70's technology.

other older rides probably need a bit of a makeover. certain rides like Thunder Mountain or POTC are 20-30 years old, but don't show their age. others however, like Body Wars and El Rio del Tiempo clearly show that they are from the 80's. it seems like Wonders of Life is most in need of a redo, but i'm starting to get off topic

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Just a small drift here

Although I realize that this is a thread on most-disliked attractions, let's bear in mind each of these "attractions" and their importance, relative to the time they each were constructed, relevance to visiting guests, location, etc.

For example, I've read that some dislike the Indy Speedway, and what it has to do with tomorrow land, etc. Well, it was a speedway, built for small children to be able to get the experience of driving. In other words, looking forward to tomorrow, when they too would be able to drive a real car. In addition, for the parents of these youngsters to see "the future" right before their very eyes, while sitting next to that child, pushing the gas to the floor for them.

Let's not forget that the purpose of these parks is primarily for our children, then secondarily for the "child" inside all of us.

I realize that everything isn't perfrect at Disney World. But it's pretty darn close!!!

Isn't it?

meeko_33785

Re: Just a small drift here

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
Although I realize that this is a thread on most-disliked attractions, let's bear in mind each of these "attractions" and their importance, relative to the time they each were constructed, relevance to visiting guests, location, etc.

For example, I've read that some dislike the Indy Speedway, and what it has to do with tomorrow land, etc. Well, it was a speedway, built for small children to be able to get the experience of driving. In other words, looking forward to tomorrow, when they too would be able to drive a real car. In addition, for the parents of these youngsters to see "the future" right before their very eyes, while sitting next to that child, pushing the gas to the floor for them.

Let's not forget that the purpose of these parks is primarily for our children, then secondarily for the "child" inside all of us.

I realize that everything isn't perfrect at Disney World. But it's pretty darn close!!!

Isn't it?

I agree with you for the most part, but I would have to say that I don't think that the parks are primarily for children and adults secondary. It's ment to be a place where the entire family can have fun together. I think entertaining both kids and adults are both equal in the scheeme of things at WDW.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
I would partially agree with that statement:

(1) I do believe that the parks are primarily for kids, then adults, but I do agree that Walt built the parks as a place where families could come to enjoy the fun and fantasy.

but,

(2) I think that if Disney Imagineering gets away from the basic ideas of Walt Disney, I believe that they do themselves, and their guests a great disservice.

In this day of instant gratification, and blood and guts, movies, I find it refreshing that you can go to a place like this where it isn't always about the "thrill" ride experience, but sometimes about just soaking in all that is Disney.

Kids today are different than when I was a teenager, I'll admit to that. But I think the ideas and visions of Walt Disney still work today.

Case in point, although it may sound unrelated:

You read a lot about people waiting for AP rates to come out, special packages to be announced, etc., etc. These hotels and their inflated rates, were most defenitely (in my opinion), the ideas and visions of Walt Disney. Michael Eisner yes. Walt Disney no. And while Mr. Eisner has done many great things for The Company, I don't think these resorts/rates are in keeping with the tradition of the man himself. But somewhere along the way a group of adults got together and decided that these resorts would be a great idea for other adults in terms of luxury and pampering. (I don't think that saunas' and spas, and gyms, really matter that much to the vast majority of children.) And if these ideas were really working so well, they wouldn't be half-booked, closed, or being used by AP holders who get 40% discounted rates. My point being that had they stayed with the visions of Walt, just used todays technology and talent that obviously exists throughout the company, something tells me that ticket prices would be lower, resorts more affordable, attractions more attractive and the parks/rooms booked year round.

(all you have to do is see where the value resorts stay booked year round to see that the hotel ideas aren't working to their original expectations. I say get the kids, then you get the parents. Without the kids, there is no joy.)

Testtrack321

Couldn't it be possable for them to UPGRADE the speedway? Like with electric cars and a new ride layout? I mean, that would make it better for everyone.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Well, we were there in Jan. of this year with my daughter (her first trip), and we waited in line for about 20 minutes to ride Indy Speedway. I didn't view this as a "boring attraction" that no one wanted to ride. On the contrary. It was one of the more popular attractions in tomorrowland.

Anyway, I would think that yes, they could upgrade the cars and track. But I would also think that logistically, as well as financially, that it may not be prudent for Disney to pursue this at
this time. (and I'm looking at this thru the eyes of what seems to be happening with their expansion plans over the last several years.) It seems as though the focus is much more on competing with Universal Studios for the "thrill-seeker" crowd. Unfortunately, I believe this to be a wild goose chase. I believe
that the "thrill-seekers" have a very short attention span and
don't pan out to be loyal visitors. They are always in search of
that next big thrill, and therefore, move on quickly to the so-called
latest and greatest adventure.

Too bad that they don't realize that there are more adventures
to be had througout Disney World than in any other theme park in the entire world.

At the very top, Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey! What a waste of $500! Gee let's see....replace a very popular attraction with enduring comedy (Chevy Chase and Martin Short), great audience participation, and great movie making feeling for MGM Studios with America's most annoying has been TV star! Oh yeah and it's all in the dark!

:hammer: :brick: :brick: :hammer:

Close second place: Test Track: "All aboard for the car dealer's exciting test drive! Whippeeee!" :rolleyes:

Fido

Originally posted by thedisneyfan
At the very top, Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey! What a waste of $500! Gee let's see....replace a very popular attraction with enduring comedy (Chevy Chase and Martin Short), great audience participation, and great movie making feeling for MGM Studios with America's most annoying has been TV star! Oh yeah and it's all in the dark!

:hammer: :brick: :brick: :hammer:

Close second place: Test Track: "All aboard for the car dealer's exciting test drive! Whippeeee!" :rolleyes:

:lol:

noname70

First, to the member who said the "Beauty and the Beast" show-are you kidding me? Great production-I get choked up every time. I only wish Eisner would recognize the fact that his most acclaimed animated film deserves a true attraction (preferably a dark ride in fantasyland).

Must go:
1. Swiss Tree House-what's the point?
2. Body Wars-does anyone ride this anymore?
3. Star Tours-Lucas needs to get off his high horse and agree to an update here.
4. Backlot Tour-poor man's Universal

WDMike

Hermie said:
You read a lot about people waiting for AP rates to come out, special packages to be announced, etc., etc. These hotels and their inflated rates, were most defenitely (in my opinion), the ideas and visions of Walt Disney. Michael Eisner yes. Walt Disney no. And while Mr. Eisner has done many great things for The Company, I don't think these resorts/rates are in keeping with the tradition of the man himself.

Nonsense. Walt was about offering a quality product, and making a profit on it. So much so that on regular intervals in the studio's early years, Walt would go weeks without paying his animators, just to keep the business afloat. Walt never had a problem with having higher costs than the competition, so long as the quality of the product reflected the value of the increased cost. When Disneyland opened, it cost more to get in that a standard amusement park. But wouldn't you rather go to Disneyland than, say, Miracle Strip in Panama City Beach?

Hermie said:
But somewhere along the way a group of adults got together and decided that these resorts would be a great idea for other adults in terms of luxury and pampering. (I don't think that saunas' and spas, and gyms, really matter that much to the vast majority of children.) And if these ideas were really working so well, they wouldn't be half-booked, closed, or being used by AP holders who get 40% discounted rates. My point being that had they stayed with the visions of Walt, just used todays technology and talent that obviously exists throughout the company, something tells me that ticket prices would be lower, resorts more affordable, attractions more attractive and the parks/rooms booked year round.

Totally wrong, and I'll tell you why. First off, check out your history. The first hotels built at Disney, based on their plans before Walt passed, were deluxe resorts: Contemporary, and Polynesian. The closest thing they had to a value resort was the Campground. In 1977 it cost 56 dollars a night to stay at Contemporary. Sounds cheap doesn't it? Then again, gas didn't cost 1.76 a gallon in 1977, a pay phone cost a dime, and so on and so on... You wanna know why the deluxe resorts cost so much, thank inflation. And thank the fact that the Disney resorts have a much larger ammount of upkeep costs, transportation costs, and so on.

The deluxe resorts are not half empty. I know because I'm having to turn guests away day after day at DRC. Passholders only get a 30% discount, same as florida residents. The only exception is Animal Kingdom Lodge, which occasionally runs the discount at better percentage. This stuff you read in the news about the company suffering is a joke. We actually made our sales quota for the last fiscal year. It's what's called a reverse-peak. Everyone we expected to come during the peak season held off due to the war. When that died down, they started calling again. So much so that all of us are stuck working 10 mandatory hours of overtime a week just to keep the phone lines from being overrun.

And did the company change the seasonal rates to recoup the loss of the peak season revenue? No. We didn't have to. People booking packages like the Fairytale plan and the new Magical Gatherings Plan made up the loss and then some.

The value resorts don't stayed booked up at a greater rate than any of the other resorts. It all has to do with season. For example. December 4th, 5th, and 6th are value season dates. But there's a special event going on, so several of the delux resorts are completely sold out... but the values still have rooms....

I've had numerous people booking for next march/April who wanted deluxe accomodations and had to settle for Caribbean or Pop Century because no deluxe rooms were available, short of 2000.00 a night suites at 1B or 1P (Grand or Poly.)

I'm averaging 21,000-35,000.00 a day in sales, and let me tell you... it's not all star rooms...

-M

imagineer99

Originally posted by thedisneyfan

I know a lot of people don't like Test Track, but I think it really is an incredible attraction. This ride should be respected simply because of the technology surrounding it. It breaks down so often because it is so complex. You won't see a ride like test track anywhere in the world, because nobody else is able to do it. I'm not saying that it is better than World of Motion, but I find it to be a lot of fun.:)

durhay

The Living Seas - first the "floor shaker" elevator, then the WoM cars, i.e Seacabs, then ... fish! Wow! Fish, and more fish! Indy Stunt Spectacular - wow, Indy's about to get run over by a boulder - thank god that beam popped up to stop it. Look at that guy's ugly shirt! Audience participation = comedic death. Last but not least, the two rides that replaced IYHW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom