Honeymoon Help!

DisneyChik17

Alan Thicke? Seriously? I didn't realize he was an accomplished songwriter..... hehe.

He has actually written quite a few things. His son, Robin Thicke is now an accomplished singer too.

Here are some of Allen's writing credits:
  1. Art School Confidential (2006) (writer: "Facts of Life - Theme")
  2. "Scrubs" (1 episode, 2002)
    - My Nightingale (2002) TV Episode (writer: "Theme from The Facts of Life")
  3. "The Facts of Life" (1979) TV Series (unknown episodes)
  4. "Diff'rent Strokes" (1978) TV Series (unknown episodes)
  5. "Wheel of Fortune" (1975) TV Series (unknown episodes)
  6. "Celebrity Sweepstakes" (1974) TV Series (unknown episodes)
  7. "The Wizard of Odds" (1973) TV Series (unknown episodes)
  8. "The Joker's Wild" (1972) TV Series (unknown episodes)

PrincessK

Hello to another MA resident and congrats!

My husband and I had our wedding and honeymoon at the Polynesian. We could not have asked for a better trip. While you think you may not spend all that much time at the hotel--as we didn't--you probably will more than you think. Especially if you spring for a deluxe, and one on the MK monorail loop, there is nothing like making a run back to the hotel to freshen up, take a swim, take a walk, etc. Some of our best honeymoon memories are just from wandering without a plan, without a schedule and just enjoying each other's company.

May I suggest a few must do's?

1.) Consider booking a spa day right when you get there. You just got married! Go get pampered. Husband had a massage and I had a body scrub. We both loved it and because many of our wedding guests were still around, it was our time to go and "hide." But seriously, planning a wedding can be so stressful. Go unwind.
2.) Splurge for a dinner that you might normally consider. And when you make your ADR's, let them know it's for your honeymoon.
3.) Don't make a big schedule. Pick a few nights/days for ADR's and then see where the road leads you.

Congrats again!:wave:

nankeldisney821

You're taking offense where none was given. Hence, I began my post with "No offense to nankeldisney821...: You said you probably won't spend much time in the room cause it's WDW. I...jokingly...implied that your honeymoon would be the one time you would spend a lot of time in your room.

And while I, too, would rather eat every meal out than cook or have my wife cook for me whilst on vacation, I was thinking more along the lines of having some simple, throw-in-the-microwave food available if the happy coule either wanted to save a few bucks so they could enjoy a bigger room with more amenities, OR didn't want to leave the room one night, because...you know...honeymoon stuff. ;)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It wasn't that I was REALLY taking offense to what you were saying...I did start my post by saying that if you did have the money then by all means stay at the deluxe resort. I guess what I was trying to get at was that not everything is the same for everyone and you don't NEED to be in your room all the time even on your honeymoon. You can still find plenty of time to be a "Couple on their honeymoon" if you know what I mean. And no I don't mean, do things wherever. I was just meaning that I found it better to not spend so much money for the deluxe resort and use that towards better things that we enjoy more than having that feeling of "being in the room all the time because we paid for it so we need to enjoy it" feeling. You know what I mean??

I apologize if it came out the wrong way but it does get annoying sometimes when you do write things on here and you do get people that always have something to say about everything someone else might say so that is all I was meaning. I didn't want you to make it like you can't enjoy your honeymoon because you aren't in the room doing "Honeymoon stuff".

Hopefully the person that asked this question will take everyone's advice on here and just realize that if they have the money then by all means get the deluxe resort room. If not you can still have a GREAT Honeymoon at a moderate or value resort...it's all in what you make out of it!! :)

Enjoy your honeymoon no matter where you decide to stay!! :wave:

wvdisneyfamily

There is always going to be the argument between spending more on the resort or spending it elsewhere on vacation. My wife and I have spoiled ourselves at deluxe resorts, and now there is no turning back. To us, the resort is a big part of the vacation, even though we may only be sleeping there.

But I still understand others who say they'd rather stay at a value or offsite to spend the money on other things to do. It's simply a matter of opinion.

My husband and I used to think that you only sleep there. However, the resort is now a big part of the vacation for us. Each year we find we are able to upgrade our resort a little more. Next year we are aiming for the Poly!!!

SpenceMan01

disneybelle: You mention that you're not planning on spending much time in your hotel room. I assume that you'll be out in the parks and the rest of WDW. We honeymooned at WDW in January and from the sound of it, you're in the same spot we were. We spent six nights at Port Orleans Riverside, and then I surprised her with two nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge in a savanah view room as a surprise.

We absolutely fell in love with POR. It was laid-back, charming, quaint and just down-right beautiful. We requested and got a room in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort. The furniture was rough-log-wood styled with patchwork quilt style bed-linens and curtains. For us, the bus service was just fine and it wasn't better nor worse than AKL's.

When we got to AKL, we got to our room and were disappointed. We had requested a room on the inside savanah, but got a room on one of the other savanahs (which I could live with). Our room was at the end of the savanah where it dead-ends at the lodge. All of the animals were way off and didn't even come close to our balcony. The only thing we had was a vulture on a branch over a pond. It was a bit disappointing. I didn't pursue another room because: A. I had heard at check-in that they were full and B. we were only there for two nights. Overall, I think our money for two nights at AKL would have been better spend on another three or four in a king-room at POR.

If you're heavy park-goers (like us) and thinking that you're not going to spend a lot of time at the resort, I'd steer clear of the deluxe resorts. You'd be paying for amenities, views, etc. that you wouldn't necessarily be using. Save some money on the room and get an extra souvenir, or enjoy a restaurant that you wouldn't have gone to otherwise.

Most of all: Have a magical honeymoon. Get the buttons and the ears and WEAR THEM. The CM's make your visit extra special. If I had a dime for every time we were congratulated or otherwise recognized as honeymooners, I could have paid for the trip :lol:

Biff215

My husband and I used to think that you only sleep there. However, the resort is now a big part of the vacation for us. Each year we find we are able to upgrade our resort a little more. Next year we are aiming for the Poly!!!

I'm with you on wanting to try the Poly, that's one deluxe we haven't had a chance to stay at yet. And now that we're DVC, I told my wife it will be even more difficult. Looks like we may need to bank some points and pay cash next time!

wvdisneyfamily

I'm with you on wanting to try the Poly, that's one deluxe we haven't had a chance to stay at yet. And now that we're DVC, I told my wife it will be even more difficult. Looks like we may need to bank some points and pay cash next time!

Can you use points to stay at the Poly? We looked into the DVC once, but decided it was too much of a commitment for us because, while we love WDW, we like to travel other places, too. For the DVC to be a good financial investment for us, we would have to go to WDW every year (not that I wouldn't love that). However, living on two teacher's salaries doesn't exactly finance a DVC membership and another vacation every year.

Do you ever feel locked in with the DVC? I think I would feel like I had limited options as far as where I could stay.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If you want to stay at a moderate I do suggest either Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. Another thing I suggest is book the moderate and if a good discounted package comes out, you can always upgrade to one of the less expensive moderates such as Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I have booked numerous honeymoon couples and while they do want someplace that is romantic, they are also looking at saving money. I can help you with both. Contact me if you would like me to help you make the best choice for the most important trip in your life...your honeymoon!

Pam

pam@kingdomkonsultant.com

slappy magoo

Can you use points to stay at the Poly? We looked into the DVC once, but decided it was too much of a commitment for us because, while we love WDW, we like to travel other places, too. For the DVC to be a good financial investment for us, we would have to go to WDW every year (not that I wouldn't love that). However, living on two teacher's salaries doesn't exactly finance a DVC membership and another vacation every year.

Do you ever feel locked in with the DVC? I think I would feel like I had limited options as far as where I could stay.

You can use DVC points at ANY of the deluxe & moderate resorts, but the rate of exchange on points for regular resort rooms (as opposed to DVC rooms) isn't all that attractive. A week at one of the cheapest Poly rooms during Value season is still 310 points. 138 points for a week at any of the mods in Value Season. And 342 for a week at Grand Floridian, at Value week! :eek:

And the same rules apply if you wanted to use points at Disneyland, EuroDisney (though there park admission is included), and Hong Kong and Tokyo. And DCL. You can use your points, but they don't make it attractive to do so.

However, they also offer vacations at other resort destinations all over the world, and THOSE would usually be 1-BR suites for between 140-160 points for a week. You could visit WDW one year and then use your DVC points for a vacation in Hawaii, or Maine, or Spain, Quebec, lots of places, the next year. So you're not THAT locked in if you get DVC points, there are options. And you can always bank points you don't need for a bigger trip the following year, or borrow points from the next year if you need them.

I'm surprised the DVC rep you talked to didn't mention all the other places you could go on DVC points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom