Home today from French Quarter so disappointed!

eddie4545

I just returned home today from a 7 night stay in the Port Orleans French Quarter (1st night in Port Orleans Riverside) and I am so bothered by my experience. First let me say I have been to Disney 7 times since 2000 and have only stayed 1 time onsite which was last year in a 2 bedroom at OKW. I have always been intrigued by staying onsite but always had a difficult time spending so much money when you can get such beautiful accommodations elsewhere for so much less. I always rent a car so the Disney transportation was not critical to me. All that being said my family and I decided to spend a week at the French Quarter. I have been told this is one of the nicest moderate resorts. Based on what I have seen this will be my last time ever on Disney property. For the amount of money a moderate resort costs (175 - 199 per night for my stay) it needs to be much more current. From the old look of the rooms, lack of ac controls, (still like an older motel with just a window unit with no wall mounted digital thermostat), and just the general upkeep of the room. I was in building 1, room 1207 and the location was fine. Everything is a short walk and the grounds are very pretty. Once again though if I were to be picky there are cigarette butts all over the ground. I feel they put a lot of care and maintenance into the landscaping and walkways but miss the little things like cleaning up old cigarettes. Considering you can get an offsite hotel for a similar price that has a much more modern feel that also has the beautiful grounds a Disney hotel can offer I will choose to do this next time. I am not kicking Disney for their parks, grounds, cast members, or transportation. They have gotten that down to a science, but take a page from Marriott or Hyatt's book and get current with the rooms and make it feel like a "Resort" room and not a 1980's motel room. I am sure some of you may disagree and tell me I am missing the "theme" that French Quarter is trying to achieve but I do feel you can still offer a "theme" and the luxuries of a more modern room.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of luxuries are you looking for in a moderate room?

POFQ is my all time favorite Disney resort and I have never felt like anything was missing really. I like that they added in refrigerators a few years ago too. The only thing that could make POFQ better for me is if it has its own bus route and didn't make 4 stops before going anywhere.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think you would of been happier at Coronado. It's more in-line with other hotel chains because it's a convention resort and caters to business folks.

Honestly i wouldn't have ever told you FQ was the best moderate. I think that's people's nostalgia for something making them see it as perfect. As you mentioned, some parts haven't aged well. The same can be said for Carribbean Beach, which people rave about.

I experienced something similar when me and some friends went for a quick spring break trip. I got a room last minute at Pop Century, they had booked All Star Movies because of how much everyone raved about it.

Pop was cleaner, nicer, and newer. Whole sections of Movies looked faded and in terrible condition. It's a lot older and it's showing. It's not like it became that way overnight - but the fan following for Movies has been so great in the Value category that people for some reason overlook it. Maybe they don't goto both on a trip to compare... :shrug:

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but i would do what you can to let Disney know. More people speaking up means things will get fixed sooner rather then later.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you should just stay offsite if thats what your family enjoys. Leaves more room for us at POFQ!!!!!! We loved it there and while yes the rooms are somewhat hotelish, the rest of the resort is great to us. We will be back in november. have fun!!

Upvote 0

WickedQueen22

We spend so little time in our room all our family really needs is a nice clean bed, shower and resort tv channel.

Other than that its the ammenities we love about POFQ. The boat ride, the pool, and the smaller size make it our faves. Thanks for making another empty room for us!

Upvote 0

ChrisQ

I'm sorry you had a less than stellar experience at POFQ. Maybe you could consider trying other resorts instead of closing the door completely on staying onsite. At least you'll come back to WDW; that's the most important thing, no matter where you stay.

Upvote 0

BeanSz

You must be really upset since you posted the same exact review on allearnet.com for POFQ. You could also try the Swan and Dolphin which althought not Disney owned give you many of the same benefits of staying on property and have many of the upscale luxuries and amenities. I very much recommend staying on property, but then again, I love totally immersing myself in the Disney experience. Others prefer getting away and staying off property. To each their own as long as you have a great vacation.

Upvote 0

elizs77

I haven't stayed at POFQ, but I'm intrigued by your experience.

But I have to repeat what another poster asked - what kinds of features are were you hoping from in a moderate resort? I'm not talking about the cigarette butt issue, but more like the a/c issue and the room upkeep. What about the room upkeep wasn't good? A few more specifics would be helpful. Also, for the rates you quoted us, did you consider a nicer resort such as Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom? That may have been more to your liking.

We don't stay at the value or moderates for many reasons, but one is b/c my husband doesn't like the motel feel, either, and he prefers the interior walkways.

But it sounds like you are happiest staying out of the park. To each his own.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

It all boils down to what is important for your own vacation dollars.

I personally would not stay off-site whenever visiting Disney. For me, it is all about being immersed in Disney 24/7. That's really what you are paying a premium for anyway. While it's true most of the Disney resorts are over priced for what they are in the real world, that is just the way it is on-site.

When I go, I have no desire to go off Disney property most of the time so a Disney resort is important to me. I also spend more time at the resorts than alot of people (i.e. it's not just a place to sleep and shower). That said, off-site I would be a Hilton, Double Tree or Courtyard type - not a Super 8, Red Roof Inn or no-name hotel type person. I like a little luxury myself in hotels. However, I would have no problem staying in a Disney value resort if it were to be financially necessary, over going off-site.

Now if you would have stayed at the Polynesian or the Contemporary, those resorts have been significantly upgraded to the here and now in terms of the room's decor and amenities (think flat screen TV's and such). In fact, I think both of them were recently awarded 4-diamond status (or some type of acclamation) by AAA due to the upgrades.

Of course, Disney is likely to spend the most money upgrading the resorts with the best ROI while the others might get a little less due to their level of accommodations. I would never expect the $300 Polynesian rooms to be on the same level as the $100 All-star rooms.

Let's face it, your Disney experience went from Old Key West years ago to PO - not exactly the same level of accommodation as a basis for comparison. Cigarette butts are certainly not unique to Disney resorts - careless, thoughtless people are EVERYWHERE!! The nicest Ritz-Carlton can have that stuff. Cast Members, or any hotel's staff for that matter, can't be around to clean up after people 100% of the 365 days in a year.

Upvote 0

MaxPower

Right after it's refurbishment a couple of years ago it was good, but have stayed there 3 or 4 times since then and it's aging really badly. Most of the air conditioners on the first floor leak on the inside, causing the carpets to smell musty. Have noticed the same starting at Riverside lately.

It's a shame, because gardens and exterior atmosphere are absolutely fantastic - also would be a natural for some extra theming for the upcoming Princess and the Frog movie.

It really has gotten to the point where most of the moderates need a serious going over before they're worth the $200 price tag.

Upvote 0

eddie4545

Original Poster
Elizs77 just to elaborate a little for you, the things I would have liked to seen was possibly a curved showe rod, maybe the ability to rent a movie in the room when my kids were sleeping, and also the pictures I saw online really didn't represent the hotel rooms for what they really were. My price range was only up to $200 per night which wouldn't cover the AKL or other deluxe resorts. I actually did have the 40% off code for Deluxe resorts and OKW was available for a very similar rate, but I wanted to expirience POFQ as I have heard so many good things about it. I guess the things that really pushed me over the edge and triggered me to post on several different Disney boards were the filth on the carpet, the 1980's pink velour blankets on the bed in between the pilled comforter and sheets, my bathroom tile floor was disgusting with dust, filthy grout, and even a previous guests pill left on the floor! I would have normally hoped I just had a bad room or possibly a disgruntled mousekeeper but my 1 day at Riverside was similar. If I was staying at a $59 per night Red Roof Inn or something similar I may have possibly expected that (not that it is ever acceptable) but certainly not from a $200 per night Disney World resort property.

Upvote 0

kimmychad

i struggled and struggled with the a/c in my coronado springs room until i figured out they were on a motion detecter. my last trip i called as soon as i got in my room and had maintenance override the motion switch as i wanted it running all the time. i applaud disney for trying to be kind to the enviroment, or maybe they're just being cheap, i dont know, but they should tell guests things like this.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Elizs77 just to elaborate a little for you, the things I would have liked to seen was possibly a curved showe rod, maybe the ability to rent a movie in the room when my kids were sleeping, and also the pictures I saw online really didn't represent the hotel rooms for what they really were. My price range was only up to $200 per night which wouldn't cover the AKL or other deluxe resorts. I actually did have the 40% off code for Deluxe resorts and OKW was available for a very similar rate, but I wanted to expirience POFQ as I have heard so many good things about it. I guess the things that really pushed me over the edge and triggered me to post on several different Disney boards were the filth on the carpet, the 1980's pink velour blankets on the bed in between the pilled comforter and sheets, my bathroom tile floor was disgusting with dust, filthy grout, and even a previous guests pill left on the floor! I would have normally hoped I just had a bad room or possibly a disgruntled mousekeeper but my 1 day at Riverside was similar. If I was staying at a $59 per night Red Roof Inn or something similar I may have possibly expected that (not that it is ever acceptable) but certainly not from a $200 per night Disney World resort property.

:eek:
I hate to hear this because we were planning to stay there next time we go. You won't believe this but our room at All Star Music was much nicer than our room at Caribbean Beach was. ASM had just redone them so every thing was nice and clean. The beds and bedding was better than I had expected from staying at an All Star resort before and they even had a curved shower rod for you. We were very pleased with everything. I hate going somewhere expecting it to be really nice and end up disappointed. I may have to rethink where we should stay, but we have heard so many great things about it. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I'd let WDW know about your experiene. We had a bad experience at CSR in Dec. '06. My husband won't go back no matter how great the discount code. Things should be kept up regardless where you are staying. We do grand gatherings, my brother and his wife like staying off property, we like staying on property.

Upvote 0

elizs77

The mousekeeping efforts (or lack thereof) definitely sounds pretty gross!! Did you happen to talk to a mgr at the time? Yick-o. I always hate the velor blankets no matter where I am. If you haven't already contacted Disney, I would do so, even though they aren't really able to fix the issue now. But, enough complaints, something may get done.

As far as the TV, I don't remember having the pay-per-view option at WL on our last trip. Actually, the TV channel options are my least favorite part of a Disney room. That's just b/c you mainly get Disney owned channels.

As far as rates go, depending on when you go, WL is as low as $225 a night. With a discount code or AAA discount, you may find it for less than $200. I only say this b/c I LOVE the WL, and I haven't ever experienced major issues at deluxe resorts. We're not staying there this time b/c we're taking a baby and want the monorail, and we are also staying for only 5 nights and not a ful week. But anyway, I only mention this b/c I don't want a bad experience to ruin your entire Disney feel, and it may be possible to stay deluxe without breaking your budget if you catch it at the right time.

Upvote 0

yankspy

i struggled and struggled with the a/c in my coronado springs room until i figured out they were on a motion detecter. my last trip i called as soon as i got in my room and had maintenance override the motion switch as i wanted it running all the time. i applaud disney for trying to be kind to the enviroment, or maybe they're just being cheap, i dont know, but they should tell guests things like this.

I did not know that could be done. They had the same motion sensor at Saratoga. Luckily it was not that hot and so it was not that bad. Saratoga also had environmentally friendly lights as well. When you turned them on it took a good two minutes before they illuminated to full brightness. I am sorry to hear about the original poster's bad experience. I would try other resorts though before writing off disney hotels completely. I had a so-so room at WL once and I know how upsetting that can be.:wave:

Upvote 0

drewchyi

I too felt POFQ was kinda cheap feeling, it reminded me of a motel on our trip last year. We've always stayed at deluxes. This year, we stayed at the value resort inorder to go on two seperate vacations. Man, i will never stay at a value again. our room was filthy. the carpet was soaked due to it beiing just washed. it seemed like they had sweeped all the trash under the beds. i found wrappers, napkins, and bags underneath our beds. inside the drawers were left over baby food and junk. it seems to me mouse keeping quality is different from a value to a deluxe. our stay at the contemporary was fabulous last christmas. thought it cost a bit more, it was well worth it. next time, just bit the bullet and pick a deluxe.

Upvote 0

dreamcinderella

I'm so sorry you had a bad stay. I stayed in the Magnolia rooms of Riverside in '05 and loved it. Pop Century is great for the theme & value but I know you're looking for a higher class resort. I'm staying at the WL in July. Hopefully, I'll remember to let you know how it is. Don't let one bad room turn you away from staying onsite. But maybe you're not as much of a fanatic as most of us!

Upvote 0

KCMouse

I've stayed at POR 3 times now and love it. I hear people talk about problems with dirty carpets and tile and just poor mousekeeping. I have never had these problems. My room is always spotless and they always leave towel animals around the room everyday!

I do tip the mousekeeper everyday. I am curious if anybody else does this?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom